Thanks
    Name:  barbarianflatswip.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  120.5 KB
    Flat colors wip, still working on the color scheme a bit

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkypanda View Post
    Dammit! I forgot to post wips, got carried away. Maybe I can reverse engineer some wips.
    Pretty much done I think. Would not want to meet this lady...
    Just noticed I can't use metal weapons and have to put something actual red on her head. I should get briefs tattoo'd on the inside of my eyelids before I start something...
    Np, will fix that when it's finals time. Probably change it to whalebone and give her some red ornaments on her head. (stained bones in her hair?)
    Emily Estelle is correct, hair can be stained / dyed with blood, etc ornaments are optional. As for the armour thers is a bit too much metal, but the spearhead is vaguely bone shaped like a swordfish nose thing, and the shoulder pads / pauldrons could be made out of wood, bone or leather like the bits hanging around her legs so only some colour / texture changes may be needed. You could even just extend the white fur all around her shoulders, although you may need something to pull it form the white background.

Thanks
    Name:  barbarian design draft (2).jpg
Views: 637
Size:  200.0 KB

I know my drawing skills are pretty underdeveloped compared to all of you but I love the idea behind this challenge so here's my first sketch! My design has elements of two tribes, the mursi and the maasai. This won't be the final line art, just a sketch to get some ideas down on paper.

Thanks
    Hi, and Welcome Don't worry about having under-developed skills, we all start somewhere. There are a lot of really amazing artists around here, and its easy to feel intimidated by how great they are at what they do. I've gotten a lot better over the past few years thanks to the suggestions that the lovely people around these forums have given me. I like your design, especially the use of the horns/tusks. If you're serious about improving, I'd say study anatomy and do lots of figure sketches. It really, really helps. Good luck!

Emily

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Estelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pencil version
    Name:  Pencil lines.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  201.9 KB
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    A few skechts. I decided pose
    Name:  eskiz 2.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  124.1 KB

Thanks
    Hello, some pretty brütal lahydies here. Just make sure to keep those hips wider than the ribcage, otherwise it sure becomes wierd.
    I would defently not want to meet this laydeh nor calling her a laydeh.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images    

If anybody knows or have the contact stuff to the most wonderfull singer in the known universe please give her this... plxOr

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baconstrap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Estelle View Post
    Hi, and Welcome Don't worry about having under-developed skills, we all start somewhere. There are a lot of really amazing artists around here, and its easy to feel intimidated by how great they are at what they do. I've gotten a lot better over the past few years thanks to the suggestions that the lovely people around these forums have given me. I like your design, especially the use of the horns/tusks. If you're serious about improving, I'd say study anatomy and do lots of figure sketches. It really, really helps. Good luck!

Emily
    Thanks! The artists here are so great, it seems like the perfect place to learn. Yep, anatomy and figure sketches are the plan for now. That and lots of form studies

Thanks
    my current wip. i chose the maasai culture as a basis and wanted to do a slightly heavier type of woman.
    c&c much appreciated

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirkrimskull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought I'd have a go, not going to get time to finish but wanted to share. I was thinking Scottish or Irish barbarian type.
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Sirkrimskull: Figure looks good, but I can't tell what she has in her hands, a piece of an animal and a walking stick maybe? At the moment (although she does look tough) she looks more like a tribal queen than a vicious warrior.

Sneakysnacky: Collecting reference images is a good idea before starting a character, try to find images of people standing in a similar pose to what you want and study the shapes and forms.

Going for an Eskimo / Inuit theme. Comments and crits welcome. (Not finished the costume yet.)

Name:  red2 copy.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  136.5 KB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  CHOW 423 FEmale Barbarian.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  118.6 KBspent a a bit more time on the texturing than the face to she looks a bit vacant.

Thanks
    Eep, I set out to write critiques for everyone, but so many new ones cropped up since the last time I checked. Apologies if (or when) I end up missing anyone.

Emily Estelle: looks like you're off to a good start. I like the subtle "come at me bro" pose. You plan on changing the cropping, right? A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1) If she's carrying a severed head around with her, you may want to include something that's actually capable of severing a human head. Maybe a bone dagger or something?
    2) Traditionally, the armored side is the one closest to the enemy's weapons. If she's wielding the spear in her right hand, then I expect that arm to be the one that's protected.

pigmentsandpens: very ambitious angle. Since we are the viewers, it seems we're taking the perspective of a victim, knocked down to the ground, and about to be struck down with her axe. Quite dramatic, but in that case, her swing feels too shallow, and her expression too disinterested. I'd suggest pushing the overall savagery up a notch to really help sell it.
    Incidentally, what material is her clothing made of? It looks like it might be bamboo sticks, which could work, but should feel extremely uncomfortable over bare breasts during a fierce battle. Plus, what is that strap actually attaching to? She's not using superglue, is she?

sneakysnacky: don't worry about the difference between yourself and other artists. The only difference that will ever matter is the difference between yourself now and yourself in the future. Keep learning and keep growing; it only gets better from here.
    For sketches, it's important to get an overall sense of the whole thing quickly, so scale your image down. No need for a sketch to be larger than our computer monitors, since we're not delving into the finest details just yet.
    You chose good reference for the costume and overall design. It can definitely work. Make sure you're using references for the body and pose, too. It's something you absolutely never, ever skip.

NicoleWG: the costume is a very nice design. You chose some good references. Could you double-check the proportions there? The waist area looks off to me, and I'm thinking either the legs are too short, or the torso is.

Bilalcan: First pose and costume both feel the most natural imo. Looks a bit manish so far. I know, I know, barbarian. But still. Maybe you could round out her jawline a little?

Baconstrap: Hey, that looks great. If there's anything that's off, it's that the hair is getting lost in the latest version. It was highly visible in earlier wips, but now requires a second, or even third read to actually spot.
    So, is it red paint on her torso, and blood on her hands? The pattern on the hands feels too incidental to be decorative, but if it's blood, then yikes, that's a lot of blood. In which case, I'd expect way more blood to splash on her weapons and waist coverings as well.

sirkrimskull: very nice approach. She looks both powerful and affluent, which makes for a great combination. I'd rethink the pose, as it doesn't seem to fit her overall character. Have you decided on where the "red hair" will come in? Blood in her afro?
    Other than that, it's not quite clear yet what her giant club actually is? Bone? Rock? Wood?
    Lastly, bottom half is looking a little plain, compared to the more regal feel of the upper area.

Dayle: Heh, clearly taking the Roman definition of "barbarian", there :p
    It's a nice, unique take. I like the solemn mood you're setting up so far. The pose, however, feels unbalanced. Try holding that pose yourself for a few seconds, and see how your body auto-corrects into something more natural. From your sketch-lines, it looks like you're not fully following the curvature of her muscles, and that's gonna flatten the piece overall.

Moirae: love the energy. And yeah, I should hope the costume isn't finished yet, cause that would be freezing!
    There's a conspicuous absence of hair at the moment, but if she's inuit, then I'm guessing you plan to make the hood red, instead, right? I think some red markings on her face would help tie the design together.

Oh wow, I did it. That's everyone, right? Alright, I'm off then
    Last edited by IntoTheVoid; March 24th, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  wip 2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  86.4 KB
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    A quick update. I moved her up higher on the canvas.
    I'm in the process of putting a small shield on her other arm. Since its a two handed weapon (I don't know what it is... a pole axe??? ) of what will be sharpened bone, she's not really got an 'off hand' as such, so she's gone some protection on both arms. She's a berserker type, you know the lunatics that ran into battle naked or not far off it to show how fearless they were, so I've kept the armor to a minimum) Still working on the severed head, and a bunch of other stuff... needs blood! So that's where I'm at now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423WIP3.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	2238810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast