7 70.00%
  • IntoTheVoid

0 0%
  • Scorge

3 30.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 485 Posts

C.O.W. #376 Split Personality-Voting!

C.O.W. #376 Split Personality - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #376 VOTING

Topic: Split Personality

Deadline for the voting: Friday March 31st, 2017
    Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/327076-C-O-W-376-Split-Personality-WIPs-Thread
    Last edited by scorge; March 24th, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Orm Irian

Concept: Insomniar

Days and nights are unusually long where this creature lives. In fact, they span several earth-days each.
    This made the typical animal behavior "sleep at night, eat during day" (or the opposite case) impractical. Staying at the same location over such a long time rendered creatures quite vulnerable. They needed to adapt.
    One such adaption is the Insomniar - called like that since it literally never sleeps.
    During night, the top creature's head is awake, using the glowing, sticky tongues to hunt smaller, flying preys which were lured (a bit like a chameleon). It doesn't attack bigger creatures, but when attacked, it will use the horns of the day-creature for defending.
    During the day, the other creature is in control. Unlike the night-creature, this one is a pure herbivore.
    While at night it will turn pure black at some point, the creature will be almost pure white during day.
    Though the part of the creature which stays awake needs to be so for a rather long time, it can sleep for the same amount of time when the other one is in control. The sleep of this creature is quite deep, almost coma like. Almost nothing can awaken the sleeping part when the time is not ready.

Name:  Insomniar.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  223.8 KB
    Last edited by Orm Irian; March 20th, 2017 at 05:00 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Mythmaker

Concept: Temporally Furred Flayer

The elusive Furred Flayer's natural habitat is subject to frequent and dramatic shifts in weather. The micro-climate sees tropical conditions frequently broken by short spells of heavy snow. The flayer has evolved an intriguing adaptation to cope with this environmental shift:

While in it's normal state it is largely fur-less, it has the ability to sprout a thick layer of white fur in a matter of hours - thus enabling it to better cope with the colder temperature, and providing camouflage from larger predators. As this sudden eruption of fur consumes a great deal of energy, the flayer's appetite becomes greatly heightened and it voraciously munches on any food it can get it's sharp pincers on.

Many an inexperienced explorer has inadvertently lost a finger on encountering what initially seems an irresistibly cute creature - gazing up at them with deep lonely eyes, through a lush white coat of fur.

Name:  COW376 SplitPersonality.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  467.1 KB

Finally after all these years, and the odd false start, I've actually finished a creature of the week!

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback in the WIPS thread. I hope more of you manage to get yours finished. Get 'em posted!
    Last edited by Mythmaker; March 20th, 2017 at 08:35 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: IntoTheVoid

Concept: Floof Devil

From a distance, the insidious terror of the Floof Devil is all but invisible. Few would imagine that underneath this puffy, innocent cloud, joyfully bouncing around, is a devious beast devoid of mercy.

Floof Devils are often found traveling innocuously among herds of its prey, neck fully retracted beneath prodigious amounts of fur.

When hunger strikes, Floof Devils hardly ever have the need to hunt. The puffy cloud of death simply descends, quietly, unto the oblivious victim, consuming them at their leisure.
    Name:  Floof-Devil_Final.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  373.8 KB
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 485 Posts
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Conflictinarian
    Torn between mayhem and peaceful existence, the conflictinarian wanders the forests of Siberia in a constant state of hunger and bliss. Seen from a distance, the distinct white side of this beast gives an air of majesty and enlightenment, while the dark side howls and sputters announcing its presence to all animals that live in the forest. Upon closer inspection, you can see that the two are clearly one being with opposing goals.

It is believed that this strange creature once was a bear or elk that some how mutated during the Tunguska event of 1908, and now roams the dense forests, its personalities on display both terrifying and beautiful.

Name:  Split-Personality-Small.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  392.7 KB
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This was a great round; fantastic work everyone!

Orm Irian: an excellent and unique interpretation of the brief. I've enjoyed thinking of the different ways such a creature might function. I'm wondering if, perhaps, the contrast between the two halves is too strong. I realize the contrast is important to the concept, but I feel the two sides should at least show some shared elements, or shape language, or even just color patterns.
    The way you've focused on the day and night heads, respectively, compared to the rest of their bodies, also makes for an interesting presentation. However, the forms on the body ended up kinda muddy and hard to read. I think it may help if you simplify the values and define the edges better.

Mythmaker: this entry got my vote for the very apropos, subtly schizophrenic mood. Personally, I was a big fan of the dynamic lighting in scorge's paintover, but your approach works well too. Overall, I find the composition quite elegant, but somehow, I am having trouble focusing on the maw and the butterfly. It was easier to spot them on the first read in your previous wip, so I'm thinking it might be the overall contrast. Might also be the butterfly itself, that somehow feels less real than before. Like it's too rigid, maybe?

scorge: beautifully rendered and great energy throughout. I love the concept and the design, but for the life of me, I just can't imagine any way for such a creature to ever be functional, which bothers me more than it probably should :p
    There seems to be a point of tension on Whitey's hand and foot that's flattening that side of the image a bit. Other than that, I'm not sure about the starry background. It doesn't seem to fit, and from the description, a forest may have been more suitable.

Cheers everyone. On to the next one
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post: