Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 485 Posts

C.O.W. #376 Split Personality-WIPs Thread

C.O.W. #376 Split Personality-WIPs Thread

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #376 Split Personality

Topic:
    #376 Split Personality

Hey guys, hopefully I set this up right, been a long time since my moderating days, but hopefully you get the idea from what I have here. I did speak to Rob and apparently he's pretty busy, so I figured I'd step in and help us all to get our C.O.W. fix. This topic will be a two week endeavor. Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to design a creature with a split personality, this could mean any number of things. Ugly and beautiful, evil and good, or even night and day dwelling (good luck with that one )
    The real challenge here will not only be coming up with an epic combination, but showing both sides of the creature, two heads? Maybe. Two faced set up? Maybe. All the options are on the table. Do your best to keep it as unpredictable as possible! Try not to draw a dragon with one side of his face burned and the other side not. Creativity and originality is the key here. Hopefully we can keep this great forum going.

Deadline:
    Monday March 20 2017.

Finals go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...36#post4020136
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome! Major kudos to scorge for keeping that torch burning.

First thing I did was look through a list of opposites for inspiration. Some other interesting combinations are [hot & cold-blooded], [timid and aggressive], [predator & prey], [aquatic, aerial & terrestrial], [tribal, pack & solitary] and [domesticated & wild].

I've got some ideas for a timid / aggressive combo that I'll try sketching out now.
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jotted down a few ideas. I'm thinking of a predator that presents itself as a timid herbivore, either as camouflage, or because it's not that high up the food chain.
    Name:  Timid-Predator-explo.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  80.1 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    IntoTheVoid: The sort of deer-like head/face really makes sense for the timid side. The face is really nonthreatening, but as soon as it opens its mouth you know you're in trouble with those fangs. Although, a scary face could work too since you can't tell from behind, maybe it conceals its face with its fluffy hide and then strikes when someone gets close.

Sort of going with the same 2 traits with docile/dangerous. When this little harmless shelled thing gets hit by the player, it flips over and they're in for a rude awakening. Probably best not to mess with it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ooh, that sounds like it might work! If I retract its neck to hide behind all the fluff, I could add some more scary details to really sell the whole dual aspect.

Love the flipping approach you're taking here. Suppose it had two drills instead of just one? As it is now, the drill isn't really supporting the concept, but with two of them you'd have an analogue for cute little undersized horns turning into scary oversized fangs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That fang idea is genius, will definitely be using that, thanks Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to do with the drill at first haha, I just stuck it there because it seemed right at the moment.

Thinking the past few days about creatures in games that match this prompt for inspiration. First thing that came to mind was Girafarig from Pokemon lol. It has a small brain in the tail which acts mostly on instinct, while the front head has psychic powers.

Actually I guess Boos from Mario are kind of split personality too, shy when you look at them, scary when your back is turned Might try to incorporate one of these somehow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 485 Posts
    Alright! Good to see you guys keeping it going.
    Name:  Split-Personality-Small.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  392.7 KB
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Much coolness going on in here!

I'll try and do something for this. I'm already working on too many things at once, but what the hell... time's just an illusion right?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 715 Posts
    Hey guys,

First off, I just want to deeply apologize for my absence lately...I've been so caught up with work and other IRL responsibilities, I couldn't really keep myself committed to my responsibilities with this forum...and to you guys...

I also want to thank scorge for stepping up...He's a former mod for COW from way back when so I know the forum's going to be in good hands, so long as he's up for the task...

It's probably best if I resign as mod due to my major inconsistencies, though on the other hand I do have several ideas still for future topics that I'm willing to share with you guys, at the very least it will be nice to have new topics roll in and not know what they will be in advance...In which case I may be willing to start participating again
    of course if my schedule doesn't get in the way...

Once again my sincere apologies, I know I keep promising to push the forum forward but I just never had the opportunity to get around to doing it...
    Last edited by Rob Powell; March 9th, 2017 at 12:58 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No worries Rob. Life-juggling is more art than science, after all. We all prioritize the various aspects of life as best we can. I hope things stabilize for you soon.

-------

Creature's coming along. I think I'm starting to get somewhere
    Name:  FloofDevil_WIP.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  82.5 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been away from this for far too long. Rob, you've done an outstanding job at keeping this going as has Dave! Count me in for the next challenge.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    COW LIVES!!! Let's get it!

SCORGE: Thank you so much for stepping up to the plate. I thought it was the end of C.O.W. for a moment there, and for a moment, it was. We couldn't have a better forum leader and role model to look up to man. Thanks man and hope we can make you proud.
    Name:  COW376_SplitPersonality_032017_web.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  322.4 KB

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1: Consider having the primary creature look in a different direction, or separating their facial expressions a bit more. At the moment it feels like the big body is just tagging along, not taking an active part in its own existence.
    -------

A bit of progress.
    Name:  FloofDevil_WIP2.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  61.6 KB

Thanks
    INTOTHEVOID: I totally get what you're saying. I'm hoping that the color along with some more alterations will seal the deal and sell the concept. If not then I will go ahead and do a tear down on it. Thank you very much though man, the critiques and suggestions always mean a lot. I see you going with the good and bad theme, very cool, some wolf in sheep's clothing action no doubt.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay - I'm coming to play!

I did this sketch last Thursday, but since then I've been too caught up in finishing my CHOW entry. Now that's done and dusted I can give this a bit of love!

I'm going for cute and fluffy on top; concealing an array of insecty unpleasantness underneath.

I don't have much experience with creature design, but hopefully I can make it look convincing enough...

Name:  COW SplitPersonalityWIP.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  115.6 KB

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast