Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

C.H.O.W 422 The Lady Of The Lake

C.H.O.W 422 The Lady Of The Lake

Character of the Week #422
    The Lady of the Lake
    Deadline - Sunday, March 12th 10PM GMT

For hundreds of years the Lady of the Lake has awaited King Arthur’s return in her watery realm.
    As the King lays in Avalon awaiting his resurrection the enchantments taught to her by Merlin begin to unravel with each passing year to the point where they can no longer preserve her youth and her body. But her soul remains strong even as her frail body rots around her, bony hands still gripping the sword Excalibur until England's champion needs his weapon once more.

- Female Human
    - Undead (underwater for hundreds of years)
    - Clothes / armour to suit Medieval England
    - Wields the sword Excalibur
    - Genre is Horror

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's what I got going so far:
    Name:  Lady of the lake concept sketches.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  235.3 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxeller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is a tempting subject - I'll see if I can squeeze it in...

Jaxeller: Nice thumbs! Bit early for crits, but I think the bottom left pose is strongest at the moment. Design seems appropriate, just keep in mind the horror theme in posing to help sell the character.

Thanks
    Cool prompt! Curious to see how people are going to embrace the horror aspect of this one.
    I was trying to make her look like a 'real' protector/guardian by using armour plates and chainmail and I was thinking of maybe doing something Pirate of the Caribbean-like with
    her aging/rotting skin only visible outside of the moonlight but I'm not sure if I can pull something like that off ...
    Name:  lakelady.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  276.2 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jaxeller: Interesting concept. Like Mythmaker said, keep at it developing the design.

Stinkypanda: Good mix of heavy and light armor design, any of them would fit imo although the right feels more 'lady of the lake' ish.

I still feel that Lady of the Lake either still have some spirit left in her, or instilled in time. Posing her in such a way to imply the years of waiting, and years to wait.
    Name:  PosesSheet_1.png
Views: 2786
Size:  231.0 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aotix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jaxeller: Really, really like #2. It gives me the impression that she's just noticed the hero approaching, and she's summoning Excalibur from the depths to (finally) hand it to him. #1 seems a bit too much like she's walking a dog or beckoning to a child or something, doesn't quite have the same storytelling as the second pose to me.

stinkypanda: Middle pose looks great because straight hair sort of floats in every direction like that when you're underwater (plus has the added bonus of looking more frightening than usual). Hope you can pull off your rotting skin outside of direct light idea! Would be cool to see. Maybe just have any surface that's in the shadows/away from the light source look like it's decaying?

Aotix: 3 is so good! You can feel the weight of those long years. She's about ready for someone to come and finally take the sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jaxeller: I like the bottom left since it has the most potential to be a creepy pose.
    Stinkypanda: Number 1 for me! I like the armor there. Might lose opportunity to give facial expressions since the face is covered, but it could also feel really creepy and mysterious without the
    eyes.
    Aotix: I like 1/2 because we can see the character most, but 3 is really expressive. I wonder if there's a way to get the most out of both ideas?
    Noun: The armor design is really cool, and the head on the 2nd one is pretty interesting. I wonder though, if there should be more feminine aspects to the design. What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it. After posting those sketches I discussed the challenge with a friend of mine who gave me some ideas. Normally I don't like to share such a rough sketch, but since it is so different from what I was originally planning to do I thought I would share it now.
    Name:  Lady of the lake-Rough Sketch.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  432.6 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxeller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trying to get the pose/anatomy down, as it was pointed out to me last time that I need to work on it. Unfortunately not drawing in quite a while has left me rusty on even the basics, but hopefully this time I can start the challenge off with a better foundation for the figure
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BrightLyncis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    stinkypanda: Nice sketches! Not yet getting a horror vibe, but it's a good starting point. I'm sure there are ways you could figure out the moonlight. Maybe start with a basic figure, then do a separate layer on top with the rotted anatomy. Then you can erase into it to follow where the light falls. One thing's for sure - if you don't try, then you definitely can't pull it off!

Aotix: The third pose has a nice feel to it. Might not be ideal for showing the design effectively though. Maybe she could be holding on with one hand to support her weight, but have the torso/head more upright - twisting towards the viewer.

Noun: I agree with luceny - I like the designs from a purely aesthetic perspective, but I think maybe it's stretching the brief too far to be recognisable. I read the shape as more masculine because it's broad and bulky - only the jutting chest piece provides a feminine cue.

Jaxeller: Looking good. Nice storytelling. I would make the head smaller if it was my piece, but I realise you might be going for a stylised look. Maybe you could push the perspective on the figure as the background suggests we're looking up from the bottom.

BrightLyncis: Nice studies! I quite like the second pose as a starting point. Don't forget the horror theme as you progress with the design though.

I've managed to get some thumbnails done. I've started exploring the character design, but not got very far with that yet.

Name:  LadyofTheLakeThumbs.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  258.6 KB

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mythmaker thanks for the feedback I double checked the perspective on the figure with the grid I set up and it appears to be correct. I may need to adjust the water lines in the background because those might be off from the grid. I am going for a stylized look, but I may still need to shrink the head just a bit because it's too big. I like your thumbnails especially #6. I really like the energy and flow to it, with a few tweaks here and there I think it would make a fantastic piece.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxeller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jaxeller: Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't mean to suggest that your figure isn't in perspective, only that there's a mismatch in eye level between the figure/foreground and the background. So it depends on what you want to achieve with your piece: The main point of CHOW is character design, so focusing on the figure in 2 point perspective is probably more appropriate. If you want to make it more dramatic as a full illustration, you could lower the POV so you are looking up at the figure (adding a third Vanishing point above) - this would then match the view to the background.

I don't want to intrude on your creative process, but if a thumbnail would help just let me know

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mythmaker: Great variety in your thumbnails. I think #1 and #7 have the most interesting storytelling. #6 has the best energy, and #2 has the most compelling design.
    Personally, I think #7 has the most potential if you push the pose and mood a bit more.

-----
    I made a few exploratory sketches of some radically divergent ideas. I'm leaning towards "A group", but there's just something about that Action Granny.
    Name:  The-Witch-of-The-Lake.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  82.6 KB
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think this is going to be my final sketch. She's held by chains to remain below the surface of the lake as even her heavy armour can longer keep her decomposing body down.
    Eyes have been eaten by fish and I think i might make her legs be completely decomposed e.g. just bones and tendons remaining. But I'll do that when i'm painting.
    The idea with her only being decomposed in the moonlight is cool but pretty hard to pull off in reality. I'd have to show a lot of her skin in order for it to be an obvious effect and I really like the heavy armour look...Maybe I'll find a solution later on.

@Aotix: Yeah I think the 'dress' is what sells the lady part. I tried to incorporate that in this sketch. And yeah nr3 of your poses has by far the most personality but it might be hard to show of enough of the character when she's bend over like that. But I really dig the 'leaning' on the sword, maybe both figuratively and literally.

@Noun: I probably have to look up how hair actually behaves underwater but I think that when you are right below the surface it kind of sticks to the surface. And making everything in shadow look decayed would make rendering really complicated for me I think. I'm not very good at clearly defining light and shadow (yet) so I'll see what I can pull off but I might scrap that. I dig the mysterious armour character! might be hard to make it 'lady' like tho.

@Lucency: Yeah I went with the heavy armour look in the end but I don't think I'm gonna cover the face.

@Jaxeller: That is a pretty brutal image! It really feels like an appropriate attire for an old English lady. I agree with mythmaker on the big head but I think it would still fit a certain style if you decide to go with it. The only issues is that it makes her look a lot less scary of course, which might be a problem. Also it doesn't really make that much sense to have her exhale bubbles after she's been underwater for so many years but that's just nitpicking

@BrightLyncis: Good on you for incorporating critiques! If you feel uncomfortable with the pose you can always try to find some reference online to check the gesture/anatomy/perspective. I like nr 3 the most I think. It's almost like she's having a conversation with the sword. The genre is 'horror' tho so maybe some scarier poses would suit the challenge a bit better.

@Mythmaker: Sick thumbnails! A lot of varied designs. nr3 is definitely the creepiest imo. Great horror pose. I seems most of your thumbnails are above the surface of the lake but i think that putting her waist deep or maybe even at the bottom of the lake would help sell the creepy factor.

@IntoTheVoid: The small woman with the gigantic sword does make for a cool contrast. I think the bottom sketches might be difficult to pull of because the face is hidden behind her hands.

Name:  sketchslake.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  384.7 KB

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my concept sketch. Played a lot with the composition and liked how this was looking
    . Name:  CHOW422_LadyoftheLake_0217_w1_web.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  351.1 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast