Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    JAXELLER: Your stylized design is coming along nicely.I almost feel like the head is too big, it's kinda looking like an alien or something. Maybe shrinking the head down some will bring better proportion with the body.I love the sword and chains.That one fish on the lower right is like wtf is this,lol.

STINKYPANDA: The furthest right pose looks the best to me. I like the weightlessness the figure has, it sells that she's floating. Very cool and looking forward to more development.I really like your attention to detail on the armor and clothing as well.Your latest post looks really good, looking forward to see where you go with that. Almost reminds me of being a bit "Poshspice like" (Posh is an old member on here with real nice line work.)

AOTIX: I like the furthest right pose in the 3 section. I feel the suffering of the wait.

NOUN: Really funky style, not sure what I think about it. I guess just do your thing.

BRIGHTLYNCIS: Coming along and the blue sketch work always looks cool and animator like. None of the poses really do anything for me though; the first two seem as if she's holding a guitar and the last one is just stiff as of now but has potential. Maybe work with 3 more and see if you can get more of a swimming feel since she's handing the sword upward.

MYTHMAKER: Hard delivery as always and number 8 I feel has a lot of potential; that lurking deamenor is dope. I like how you explore your concepts thouroughly, you must have a lot of energy pent up inside of you.

INTOTHEVOID: Keep plugging and prodding.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1: Don't forget this is a character competition, technically your latest sketch is a back view, can you twist her body or move the angle of view so we can see more of her design? Or at least provide a small image with your entry showing her design from the front?

Thanks
    MOIRAE: Didn't see that rule, but went back and viewed the fine print. No problem at all man. I've been experimenting with weird angels, but I wouldn't mind putting a front one together. I am going to paint this one out for myself and if I have time I'll do another with the front view. If not I'll see if I can put together that sketch. Either way =)
    Name:  CHOW422_LadyoftheLake_0217_w2_web.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  257.4 KB

Thanks
    I wanna thank Mythmaker, stinkypanda and Lege1 for their feedback. The head was definitely too big so I shrank it down; I think I am gonna name this one Wake M'lady.
    Name:  wake-m'lady.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  34.5 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaxeller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blerg.

Name:  unfug214-1000.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  126.3 KB
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    stinkypanda: yeah, I was also worried I was obscuring her face, but I'll see if I can make it work somehow. Very interesting body language in your sketch - feels like she doesn't care much about the sword, and is now looking around for a good spot to dump it.

Lege1: love the color scheme. I hope you plan on covering her bottom half at some point - the battlearmor + sheer negligee seems like an odd combination to drown with. I'm also enjoying the idea that Arthur goes out adventuring alone, in full royal dress :p

Jaxeller: I ended up with a pretty similar concept to yours. The fixes definitely helped and it's coming along nicely. Not quite sure I'm sold on the pose just yet. It reads like a freeze-frame of the moment she got impaled. A more extreme arch in her back while raising her face upwards might help to show she's still in torment.

Tiggeraz: Heh! I wonder if this means she's really bad at her job, or just unreasonably dedicated. Costume might be hard to place as "medieval" though; looks kinda modern, with a mix of court jester.

-----------

Rough sketch of my concept. I hope enough of the face is visible now.
    Name:  Nimue,-Rotting-2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  97.3 KB
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some progress. Not sure about the hair so far
    Name:  sketchslake3.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  137.4 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JAXELLER: Most definitely dude and the head situation looks a lot better man. The overall piece is coming along great. I like the muted color palette and mood you got going on. Definitely reads murky, lakey, environment. Really cool style for sure.

TIGGERAZ: HAHAHAHAHAH! Pure awesome! LoL

INTOTHEVOID: Thanks on the color scheme, I'm trying to crush it with the classic cools and warms / complimentary color dance.I wasn't going to cover her bottom half, in my mind she's decrepit and the shyt just fell off her. I might throw on some leg gear now that you mentioned it though. I really want to see more of the figure than the figure covered up with armor in this piece. I totally get what you're saying though. HAHAHAHA,lol,you know the king has to look fabulous for his amazing lake journey; he's got that Ghostface Killah kinda swag.

Thanks
    Name:  CHOW 422 Lady of the Lake low res.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  178.6 KB
    my submission, hope you guys like it.

Thanks
    Hey! How is everyone getting on? Sorry I've not checked in before - just been a bit busy.

Thanks for all the feedback! So people like 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8... well... that narrows it down!

Lege1: I'm not familiar with the term 'hard delivery' - should I be worried?! I wish I did always explore thoroughly - then maybe I'd be in danger of living up to my potential...

My brain's very tired, but I'll try and write some more feedback...

Lege1: It's a nice dramatic piece. Lots could be done to improve it, but are you doing another piece?

Jaxeller: I like what you've done with this - the palette works really well, good atmosphere, and overall it fits the brief nicely.

Tiggeraz: umm... yeah!

IntoTheVoid: Looks like it could be interesting. Bit early to crit, just maybe keep checking the consistency of your anatomy as you draw. Flipping your canvas helps - just in case you aren't already.

stinkypanda: Looking good so far! I think the hair is a bit thick/heavy looking - maybe soften and blend it into the water, define some floaty strands? I'm wondering if maybe you could do a bit more to sell the passage of time - age the armour, maybe paler skin. I'm not sure what your plans are with the palette, but maybe tinting the figure more to match the water to help sell that she's submerged. Just some suggestions!

FoolishMortal: A good response to the brief - suitably horrific! Is this finished, or a work in progress? You could do a lot to better define where the light is coming from. Colour grading the figure as I suggested to stinkypanda would also help with this, and maybe adding some variance to edge quality to reduce the cut-out look.

As for me - I started hacking this together on Sunday. It's not very ambitious, but I didn't feel I could give enough time and attention to do justice to the more complex ideas. She will be partly submerged though - just stepping out from the waters edge. She will have the sword too - just figuring out the best position for it. That's all assuming I finish this one and don't start again from scratch...

Name:  LadyofTheLakeWIP1.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  158.3 KB

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MYTHMAKER: I'm sorry man, sometimes I resort to using slang. In simple, what I was trying to say is that you deliver a tough product, in other words, your work is great, or "HARD",lol. I see you exploring a lot more than most do man. I personally just stay obsessing over an idea and then drop it, I dislike exhausting myself over all sorts of different things when it's usually all in my head. I like where you're going with your piece and appreciate your good words towards mine. I just dumped a few hours more into the illustration and am thinking this one is done. Yes, if I have time I will do another, but I may just end up doing a front study and submitting what you see here. Either way it's been a really enjoyable experience and I am glad to see there is a good group on this forum.

STINKYPANDA: Looking awesome man! It's really cooking now. The hair is looking cool, I just winged my hair, I think I'll dump some time in hair studies here in the near future. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Some progress of my decaying sword holder....
    Name:  CHOW422_LadyoftheLake_0217_fini_web.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  260.2 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Blerg.

Name:  unfug214-1000.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  126.3 KB
    Tigguraz: I take it that's King Arthur's review on Avalon's slow sword delivery service.

Lege1: Beware of wobbly sword syndrome, it's nothing to be ashamed of...

Name:  CHOW422_LadyoftheLake_0217_fini_webedit.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  209.5 KB

Thanks
    Hello.

JAXELLER: Princess Leia buns! That sure is some fashion right there. I think it's a cool piece, although if I were you(which I very much isn't) I would get rid of em bubbles they kinda makes no sense to me, plus they are somewhat out of perspective.

STINKYPANDA: Only the really cool characters hold their swords on the blade. It's kinda illogical with em chains to keep her from leaving the bottom of the lake with that armour, but screw logic if it looks cool.

"woobly sword syndrome" cracked me up. haha
    cheerz.

Attached Images Attached Images    

If anybody knows or have the contact stuff to the most wonderfull singer in the known universe please give her this... plxOr

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baconstrap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some great ones on here.

100%x
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    MOIRAE: Thanks for busting my balls in a comical way about the sword. At first glance I didn't think it looked that bad and when I started getting back into it, I was like "what a wobbly f*cking piece of shyt sword this is,lol." I dumped another hour or so into the piece with the mind state that I'll live forever, performing lasso surgery and a bunch of re painting on stuff just to tighten the piece up some. Hope you and the others like it; I feel it is a night and day comparison.

BACONSTRAP: HAHAHA hilarious right? Wait till they start frying your bacon strap in the deep forest,lol.
    Name:  CHOW422_LadyoftheLake_0217_fini_web.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  259.0 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast