1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks

C.H.O.W 421 Kitsune :: FINALS

Character of the Week #421
    Kitsune
    Deadline - Sunday, February 26th 10PM GMT

In Japanese mythology it is said that if a fox reaches one hundred years of age it gains the ability to shapeshift into human form, but can be recognised as it will still retain its tail or tails.
    As a fox ages it gains more, the most ancient and powerful of which have nine separate tails.
    Most often choosing the form of a beautiful woman Kitsune of Japanese folklore can be either alluring tricksters, feeding off the energies of those they seduce or faithful guardians and loving wives. Remember which you are choosing to depict when designing your mystical Japanese spirit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

- Human / humanoid anthropomorphic fox
    - Has a fox’s tail (may have up to nine) and at least one other vulpine / foxlike aspect (ears, face, paws, etc.)
    - Clothing inspired by ancient Japan.
    - Genre is fantasy.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have a bit to do tommorrow so Im just gonna drop this now. Good luck all!

Name:  chow#421-Cloud-Yo!-Final.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  kitsuneWIP.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  59.4 KB

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good luck everybody!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really enjoyed creating this one
    Name:  Kitsune.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  350.9 KB
    Name:  KitsuneConceptSketches.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  50.0 KBName:  KitsuneSketch.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks
    what are good works everybody!
    very amusing topic

Name:  greyfoxconcpt.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  68.1 KB
    Name:  greyfox2.png
Views: 1489
Size:  129.3 KBName:  greyfoxconcp1t.png
Views: 1490
Size:  301.6 KB
    Name:  greyfox1.png
Views: 1491
Size:  63.9 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitbratck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn these are all amazing! Good stuff everyone
    Name:  kitsunefinished.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  wipskitsune.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  402.0 KB

Thanks

Thanks
    This is to make up for the one I messed up and never posted back in 2010.

Well done everyone - some really nice pics for this round!

P.s. Hello - I'm back and stuff!...

Name:  KitsuneChow.jpeg
Views: 1449
Size:  208.0 KB

Name:  KitsuneWips.jpeg
Views: 1459
Size:  120.1 KB
    Last edited by Mythmaker; February 26th, 2017 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 762 Posts
    There is a lot of pretty good stuff in here.
    You all did a mighty good job!

Thanks
    Definitely a fun one!

Name:  kitsune_F-w.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  kitsune_wips-w.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  227.6 KB

Thanks

Mother and Kits

This is my final version. A bit less realistic than I had originally hoped to do, but I didn't want to go more rendered before I have the techniques down better. I went with the faithful guardian/loving mother version, protecting her kits from an overly suspicious fox terrier. She's still young, so three tails for her and one each for her babies. Other fox traits are eyes and ears.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BrightLyncis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This thread is now closed. A poll will be up later.

Thanks
    Well done everyone who got their piece finished. Some of the unfinished work was nice too!

I've tried to write some feedback; as always these are just what I'm seeing - take it or leave it!

Cloud-Yo!: I really like this - very clean and consistent with a strong sense of style. The character is interesting - blending man and fox effectively. Lots of nice touches with the accessories to help enhance the character and Japanese feel. The only thing that possibly isn't reading well is the position of the legs - the hip of the far leg seems high, and I'm not sure if the near leg is meant to be straight or bent. Looks like he might be stepping up - perhaps a hint of ground would help?

Noun: Really nice use of style - appropriate to the subject matter. I like the patterning detail on the kimono and the expression in the face and figure. I think maybe the arm holding the bowl is a bit awkward. I like the thumbnails too - very expressive.

Jaxeller: Nice touch with the cosmic tail effect. Style and outfit design is interesting. The anatomy around the wrists looks odd - almost like there's an extra joint. Maybe the legs are a bit static?

Nitbratck: Nice dynamic pose, good sense of style. Addresses the brief with the anthropomorphic elements. I mostly like how you've pushed the proportions, but there are a couple of issues with how the anatomy is reading - mainly in the shoulder/chest area.

Stinkypanda: Nice use of colour, and keeping elements in silhouette works well. Maybe a more dynamic/less symmetrical pose would have made for a more interesting image. Her right arm looks odd around the middle. I like her expression and the overall feel of the piece.

k_z: A nice clean drawing - easy to read. Colour choices on the figure work well, though I feel the background is clashing rather than complimenting. There's some interesting design work on the the face and hair, but maybe the rest of the figure would have benefited from some additional design touches. There are some proportion issues in the anatomy, but it mostly reads okay. Pushing your values would help overall.

Myself: There's a number of issues I'd like to fix. Primarily I think it's too subdued - needing a lift in value/colour, and I'm not convinced by the foreshortening on the arms. Perspective issues are bothering me too. I don't think I fully addressed the brief - I was focused on my research of the folklore and didn't double check the specifics of the brief, so I think I'm pretty lucky to have made the poll.

AdamRoush: You've really pushed the proportions, but it still works. It's an interesting interpretation; could almost be a cross between Hsien-ko and Felicia from Darkstalkers. It reads well - nice use of values and reflected light.

BrightLyncis: There's a lot of technical problems in this piece - anatomy, line weights, saturation variation, and values. Having said that, as an image it has a lot of charm in the graphic styling, and the story-telling is very well done.

Hope that's of some use. Any feedback on my image will be appreciated as I'd like to improve it!
    Last edited by Mythmaker; March 1st, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cloud-yo: Awesome piece. One pet hate of mine though is laying a flat pattern over clothing without adjusting it over the shapes of the folds and general curvature of the body, it flattens the image in my opinion.

Noun: Not sure what the bowl is about. Is she cooking dinner and doing calligraphy at the same time? Like the expression set though. Would it also have been an idea to introduce a new colour for her hair instead of it being the same colour as the kimono?

Jaxeller: The wrist looks like it’s twisted way too far from the angle of his forearm. Whilst it makes a lovely effect swirling the tails around like that is does mean some tails end up a lot longer than others. I think you could have done the same effect with three really bushy tails, and have long and curled up and twisting about rather than ending up with several stubby tails.

Nitbrack: The tail looks a little too solid; I think it needs a little more texture to make it look like a big brush of fur, and the open hand is a bit big, it’s the same size as her head. (Unless it’s intentionally exaggerated) Stronger highlights would make the piece pop too, the blue seems a little flat with little shadow.

Stinkypanda: The forearms seem almost non-existent; the hands pop out the sleeves as if they aren’t attached to anything, or at least something really thin.
    Name:  kitsunefinishededit.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  149.5 KB

K_z: I think a bit more could have been done with the tails. I would have exaggerated the movement of them and their size a bit more to get more of a “swoosh” to contrast with the steady pose. I would up the contrast too with some stronger shadow to give her figure more of a rounded shape.

Mythmaker: Legs are way too short. I also brightened your image some.
    Name:  KitsuneChowedit.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  194.4 KB

AdamRoush: Anatomically her thighs are very thick when compared to her shoulders and waist. If you are going for a curvy build then her torso should reflect this as well, my main point is neither half is wrong, but I think they should match.

BrightLyncis: The faces are too large for the head, as if they have been stuck on and enlarged. You have the expressions down very well. The faces seem to realistic in contrast with the rest of the character/s. You have a stylised comic book black linework over everything but the faces, which you have clearly spent a lot of time on and as such they stand out because of the clash in style. I would have simplified the faces to compliment the way the rest of the piece has been painted. Definitely look into your anatomy too, that baby’s torso is extremely long.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
    Noun: Not sure what the bowl is about. Is she cooking dinner and doing calligraphy at the same time? Like the expression set though. Would it also have been an idea to introduce a new colour for her hair instead of it being the same colour as the kimono?
    Lol, yeah you're right, the bowl was done pretty weakly. It's supposed to be something she drinks out of, she paints stories for people while slightly inebriated. I got the idea of it from a character in Samurai Warriors, but I just realized I even drew her holding it wrong haha.

Probably would have made more sense to have it held it up to her face or something.

Thanks for the crits everyone, means a lot.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post: