Thanks

C.H.O.W 421 Kitsune

Name:  banner_420.jpg
Views: 8755
Size:  78.3 KB

Character of the Week #421
    Kitsune
    Deadline - Sunday, February 26th 10PM GMT

In Japanese mythology it is said that if a fox reaches one hundred years of age it gains the ability to shapeshift into human form, but can be recognised as it will still retain its tail or tails.
    As a fox ages it gains more, the most ancient and powerful of which have nine separate tails.
    Most often choosing the form of a beautiful woman Kitsune of Japanese folklore can be either alluring tricksters, feeding off the energies of those they seduce or faithful guardians and loving wives. Remember which you are choosing to depict when designing your mystical Japanese spirit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

- Human / humanoid anthropomorphic fox
    - Has a fox’s tail (may have up to nine) and at least one other vulpine / foxlike aspect (ears, face, paws, etc.)
    - Clothing inspired by ancient Japan.
    - Genre is fantasy.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots with final entry.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models, rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-up-yet/page24

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!
    Last edited by Moirae; February 21st, 2017 at 09:48 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Guess I'll kick this one off with my first draft ! Which is about as original as the next transformers movie but hey... at least she's pretty right? probably going to try something completely different.

Name:  kitsunesketchsmall.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  173.9 KB

Thanks
    Took a week off, back now. Trying to go with the loyal mother angle. The tails are bound in a tube for the sake of mobility. Probably gonna change up the angle
    Name:  kitconceptforchow.png
Views: 1326
Size:  298.7 KB

Thanks
    hmm maybe i do like the drawing i did.. tried some clothing and I think i'll try this dress-like thing. Probably have to redraw the legs now tho. They don't really make a lot of sense anymore

@pigmentsandpens : cool idea with the tails being tied together. Is she leaning on the tube in the sketch? Kinda feels like she is. Looking forward to your next step!

Name:  kitsunerefcolor.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  289.9 KB

Thanks
    stinkypanda: I think you could push the design a lot further. It's extremely generic. Something a lot of people do is go with their first design, which is always your worst and most cliche idea. Her clothing, for example, lacks the essential Japanese-themed criteria for this challenge. While it doesn't need to be historically accurate, we should be able to tell that it references Japanese culture. A simple google search shows that dresses typically fall down to around their ankles, their sleeves are very long, and usually wear more than just one robe. Plus, many have interesting designs and patterns printed on them. Think in layers, with interesting accessories that define their character.

Also, is she supposed to only have 4 fingers? Is that her other vulpine feature? If so, it's not obvious enough, and you should push that idea a lot further too. Maybe she has fox hands/paws with fur and claws that she tries to hide with her long sleeves. Given her body language, her facial expression looks pretty bored, despite her more energetic pose. Also, her forearms and shins are much too long.

Basically, I think everything needs additional work so that everything meshes together into a more coherent character.

Thanks
    second design. Thanks for the concepts stinkypanda, she wasn't supposed to be leaning on the tail tube thing but it does look it in hindsight XD
    Name:  chowconcetptkst2.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  65.5 KB

Thanks
    Been watching a lot of Nioh lately so thought of an oni-like design could be fun.

Name:  kitsune (1).jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  57.7 KB

Thanks
    Just joined to try CHOW. Here's some rough sketches of the more mothering version of the kitsune
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    This looks like a fun topic! Im gonna jump ringht into it

@StinkyPanda: Its a very nice drawing, but I agree with AdamRoush in that you really need to push the concept further beyond a chick in a skimpy dress with the tails. Im sure you can come up with something great...keep up the good work!

@pigmentsandpens:
    Its a nice start, I like the idea of the binding for the tails to try and conceal them, but maybe give it more of a purpose? idk, it seems a little unwieldy at the moment

@Rudii20: I really like the treatement of the collar, other than that, it seems too early to say anything helpful

@BrightLyncis: I havent been around for a long time, but welcome! very nice sketches...rememeber to really push the characterization and the concept. Jump in with both feet!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Totally new to the forum and dont know where to start.
    might as well start here i guess.
    total noob started drawing from 2016
    Name:  foxhunt.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  210.3 KB

Thanks
    Here is what I got going on so far:
    Name:  KitsuneConceptSketches.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  Kitsune.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks
    Nice work everybody! Here's couple of my sketches. The second fox feature is the eyes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	2233399

Thanks
    My first sketches
    Name:  greyfox1.png
Views: 890
Size:  63.9 KB
    Name:  greyfox2.png
Views: 890
Size:  129.3 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitbratck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im having trouble coloring stuff i want cell shading but it always comes out as painted and it looks bad at that haha any tips or links?
    Name:  foxhun2dt2.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  94.2 KB100%x

Thanks
    feirioth: I'm pretty skilled in cel-shading myself, and here's a little tutorial I've made in the past of how I do it: http://adamroush.deviantart.com/art/...cess-664666323

I used manga studio 5 (also known as clip studio paint, a $35 piece of software with all the same functionality as Photoshop) to do the linework. However, the same look can be achieved in PS if you turn "transfer" off in the brush styles sub-menu, while turning on "shape dynamics" and setting the size control to "pen pressure." Set the size jitter and minimum diameter to 0.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast