wip so far.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I enjoyed working on this one.
    Name:  Kitsune.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  350.9 KB

Thanks
    @AdamRoush: Yeah I agree. The design was extremely basic/bland. I didn't really know anything about kitsune apart from what was in the chow description.
    After some reading i decided to start again with something that was a bit more interesting.

@Cloud-Yo!: Yep yep! Never go with your first idea I probably should start with a round of thumbnails but I get way too attached way too fast to do a lot of them..

So the idea is that she is a pretty powerful 6 tail kitsune. If I can believe wikipedia there are 2 types of kitsune.
    This concept is supposed to be the malicious/mischievous kind. (yako?)
    It's still pretty simple and a lot of the features are lasso'd placeholders but I think it's at least a decent place to start.

Name:  kitsune2sketch.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  184.7 KB
    Last edited by stinkypanda; February 20th, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Gotten myself a bit stuck. Any ideas on how I could spice up the design anyone? Or just suggestions for a pattern I could give the kimono (I'm the absolute worst with clothing patterns)
    Name:  inariwip.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  53.3 KB

Thanks
    Pigmentsandpens: Well, she's a bit grey at the moment, which colour wise isn't adding much spice. Also the pose is a little weird, why is she bending her knees? If you want spice, the easiest way would probably add a little movement to the piece. She looks like she is turning away from us (growling whilst drawing her child away from whatever has startled her) so maybe a flick of the hair or some movement in the clothing?

Stinkypanda: I've been trying to swap out the new banner, but for some reason it's not letting me "go advanced" on the chow thread for some reason, please bear with me. Edit: Did it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi guys, this is my entry on this chow. I made the sketch of kitsune , and now i will paint her. I'm in doubt if i leave her with a syrup or make more... i don't know. She is a Kitsune of the peace xD or as we talk in my country " de Boa!" hahahaha
    Name:  2017_02_21_14_28_031.png
Views: 718
Size:  58.3 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vittor G For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Moirae: Damn, thanks man! Really appreciate it

So I'm on color now. Have to render a lot more and tweak some more things (definitely the face..). I'm gonna try to make her face a bit more fox-like but I still want to keep it obviously human.

Name:  kitsune2color.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  350.6 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRoush View Post
    feirioth: I'm pretty skilled in cel-shading myself, and here's a little tutorial I've made in the past of how I do it: http://adamroush.deviantart.com/art/...cess-664666323

I used manga studio 5 (also known as clip studio paint, a $35 piece of software with all the same functionality as Photoshop) to do the linework. However, the same look can be achieved in PS if you turn "transfer" off in the brush styles sub-menu, while turning on "shape dynamics" and setting the size control to "pen pressure." Set the size jitter and minimum diameter to 0.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Wow! thanks man! but i kinda failed somehow.
    i think my line art is bad and i dont know where to fix it.

I use photoshop and lining is so hard it makes it so rigid and stuff

It always seem cartoony and unproportional
    i should study anatomy more i guess

I have a question on dyanamic poses. They say to capture the movement and forsakening the anatomy a bit. Is that true? and how can i do it better? im always scared that it'll be so off
    my favorite artist is http://nargyle.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
    she's a storyboard artist on marvel

She always makes stuff flow and she colors everything so well...and her lineart.. ugh so good.
    all i know are complementary colors and analogs which you can see in my illustration bellow
    Even that seems like somethings off

this is the fox i got inspired by the alolan ice pokemon vulpix
    Name:  foxhunt2i2ce.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  66.0 KB
    Last edited by feirioth; February 22nd, 2017 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Hi guys, I like the new banner!

@Feiroth about your question on anatomy and fluid movement, I think studying anatomy is the way to go. There are a lot of awesome curves in the human body, and that the movement you want to express can be expressed by capitalizing on these curves. Knowing where the bumps and curves are will help with figuring out which lines to emphasize, downplay etc... For improving, since you are concerned with movement, maybe start with gesture studies, since that study is about capturing general movement. Then you can learn how to apply the anatomy to the gesture etc (so you don't have to worry about it being off). That said, I think it's true that sometimes the artists forsake the anatomy to get the movement, but I think to do it effectively they have to have known what to forsake exactly (they know the anatomy, but they chose not to follow it exactly). So they gained the knowledge first before they chose to disregard it. Hope that helps

Here are my wips. I hope I finish on time this time.

Name:  kitsune_chow_wip01.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  kitsune_chow_wip02.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  43.9 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luceny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    quick sketch thingy not sure what it is will probably leave it like this and move on to sth else
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    feirioth: Gesture sketches would definitely help you, try thinking of the overall shape of the body as a whole rather than individual parts. The most important shape in your pose would be the curve from her head, down her back to the heel of her foot. Ideally this should be one continuous line (in my paintover the lines are ignoring the raised leg for the moment, I'm trying to demonstrate the broken curve between her back and her leg that is interrupting the flow of her movement.)

Also try looking at images of dancers for reference and check out this guys' sketchbook too: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...racters/page90

Name:  foxhunt2i2ceedit.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  182.5 KB

Sparekiss: I'd like to see more of the character in your next design, covered from head to knees in a big coat it seems like your kitsune is the laziest shapeshifter in the world.

Thanks
    Where I am at right now. Still probably gonna change a few things, don't like the inking on the tails that much but wanted to post progress!
    Name:  qy951xr.png
Views: 439
Size:  257.7 KB

Thanks
    ......maybe I will enter this one. Wasn't originally planning to, but I liked this idea while working on another project.
    Obviously, I'm going for a rather exaggerated design, and a younger/ more protective fox-spirit.

Name:  kitsune_w2-w.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  159.8 KB

feirioth: On the subject of lineart, my lineart never looks any good until colors and shading are applied. Like the above image won't look that great until it's almost done. I'm just not that great at doing lineart, unless I were to spend as much time creating the lines as I did painting it. The above lines were done in around an hour or so. I imagine that if I spent 6-8hrs on it, it'd look a lot better.

For anatomy, it's definitely something you need to know. Having a good handle on anatomy will allow you to make informed decisions on how to abstract it. (Anything that isn't precisely realistic, think of it as abstract. Homer Simpson is an abstract version of a man, for example.) Looking at Nargyle's style, it looks as though she may have an animation background. If you're interested in that style, take a look at Disney 2D animated films and books or any of the classic hand-drawn animated films. Animation fundamentals like squash and stretch are used to make poses more fluid and dynamic. So I'd say study anatomy first, then learn about animation techniques to find out how you can abstract the figure with proper structure, weight, balance, and dynamism.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Think I'm pretty much done now. I focused pretty hard on the magic side of kitsune and maybe not enough on the fox side. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.
    Name:  kitsune3.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  396.3 KB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stinkypanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Micromonics: Weird, just noticed that those arms look robotic! Is it more of a practical disguise that the kitsune uses, instead of magic? Really unique idea if so.

Jaxeller: Love those illusion night sky tails! Makes you wonder if they can be seen by everyone. Really appreciate your character sheet on the previous page as well -- tons of personality in the head/face design.

pigmentsandpens: A quick Google search can help you find some kimono patterns. You probably don't need to copy any one in particular, but it should give you an idea of what sorts of patterns are commonplace.

​Vittor G: Good start! Stylish linework. I think it'll be easier to see where the design is going once it's filled in with colors. Right now I'm having a hard time telling what's clothing and what's part of her tail(s?) because of some of the overlapping lines.

ferioth: Yeah, linework in PS can be tough. Have you tried making your own custom brushes? Sometimes it feels more lively when you can add a little texture or variation to each stroke. I'd try messing with PS's brush settings to figure out what feels right/most fun. Linework takes a lot of practice, and (generally) turns out better with huge, sweeping elbow movements than small, precise ones with your wrist.

luceny: Really like the mischievous youngster design! Kind of weird to see them smoking a pipe, but it does give the impression that there's more to them than meets the eye.

Sparekiss:
    Smart to have a hood up to conceal the face, and it's nice how we can see the pointy shape of ears underneath.

Rudii20: Awesome ink style. The fierce monk type design is something that never would've crossed my mind. I'm having a hard time seeing where the tail is, but I'm probably just dumb and not seeing it lol. Having it appear more prominently would really sell the fox angle, though.

AdamRoush: ​Those giant fennec fox ears are great. Really like the direction the color scheme is going too.

stinkypanda: Great colors! The green eyes, necklace, and flames look so nice against the red kimono and petals. My biggest gripe is that the petals may be a bit too much in a sense, I'd rather see the entire character down to the feet. It's not entirely clear what's going on at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.
    Homepage | Dribbble | Art Blog

Fire With Fire (Steam) [Lead Artist]
    Junk ET (Steam 2017) [Lead Artist]

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast