1 14.29%
  • Corrick

6 85.71%
    Thanks

EOW #287: Grim Little Prairie House - VOTING

EOW #287: Grim Little Prairie House

EOW #287: Grim Little Prairie House

Prairie is characterized by grassland and meadows. Secluded, out in the middle of nowhere, this gaunt slice of real estate is a real eye sore. It looks like Beetlejuice's summer vacation house. There's not much to it, but it gives a real sense of grimness and melancholy. Something bad might have happened here, or it was unlucky to be built on haunted grounds. The grim little prairie house.

The due date is two weeks from now: February 17, 2017.

This thread is for your WIPs. Post your final entry here.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is my final entry !! crits and comments are most welcome . Originally thought of putting in more inventive stuff , in terms of concept , but instead went for the simpler option of playing with the mood and keeping the landscape & scene simple . mostly digital painting and photo-bashing.

Name:  EOW 287 grim little prairie home vibhas virwani.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  66.5 KB

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vibhas_virwani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vibhas_virwani: Nice piece, I'm really digging the atmospheric look you achieved. The fog to the right definitely adds a good amount of creepiness to this scene. I think the dark clouds need a bit more definition as they're looking a little flat. The thing is though, I like your image from the center tree rightward, but not so much of what's going on on the left side. I think adding more of the atmospheric clouds, fog, and overall grayness in that area would help push it's overall eerie mood. Maybe just a few light rays shining through onto the house, to help pop it out in the scene.

Corrick: Great illustration! I like your color choices, and I'm especially loving the abstract orange-ish grass in the foreground. I think you've definitely nailed the spooky look, with those large spiders crawling about. You have that strong light above the house; it could have been interesting to see that on the house/ rooftop. You seem to have that lighting on the ground surrounding the house, so I think it'd make sense to see it on the house as well. Also, I think the distant bug could be blurred a bit, to give a sense of scale and depth. Nice work!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamRoush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vibhas_virwani: The house looks great. I like how layered and gnarly the stories, ledges, and chunky architecture stands out in this image, it reminds me of the Weasley family burrough from the Harry Potter series. The atmosphere is cool and somewhat neutral - this could be interpreted in a peaceful way or as something more ominous. The shadows of vegetation in the foreground on the right side (the photomanipulated brush) is a cool addition but I think it takes away from the open prairie ground look. I think you could also commit to the mountainous hill formation in the background on the left side a bit more, define it, perhaps extend it. The color scheme is nice - the dark cloud is highly prevalent and maintains a firm presence in the image. Does it overpower the prairie house or complement it? Some questions I was met with while viewing. Nice work vibhas!

Corrick: Very War of the Worlds meets Lovecraft. One of the alien machines almost looks like it has a small moon on its back, haha. This seems to be partly inspired by the scene from the Spielberg adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel where Rachel is in a small house and the machine shines its light probe on the building as if to say 'I know you're in there, let me extract your juices plz...' The composition and presentation strike me as excellent. This looks traditionally tailored, with the spongy texture and pale-aqua / tangerine-beige color contrasts. Earthy yet Hitchcock-like. Interesting layout, full of personal touches and techniques that I'm probably not noticing. The house is a bit simple, but by design, as if you are depicting the true 'commoners' of a rural countryside in their quaint habitat, about to be given a rude awakening by a hostile creature on a Sunday morning at dawk or dusk. This could easily be an illustration in a War of the Worlds graphic novel, maybe on a page combining/combing the Coraline or Corpse Bride storyline together with this one.
    Join us for the EOW..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks a ton guys ! those are solid crits , thanks for the help !! shall try harder next time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vibhas_virwani For This Useful Post: