Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I tried imitating TB Choi for a little while. Really hard to do. I think that loose, rubbery style takes years of animation training. You're on the right track, though.

BTW, I forget, do you use a Cintiq / drawing display, or just a standard screen-less drawing tablet? I had an old Cintiq Companion a while back, and sold it because it had problems, but I miss the better hand-eye coordination it gave me. :/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Figures are looking so good, love the rendering. Why do you put the darkest shadow on the "beginning" of the shadow as in where the light is just starting to hit the form less. I've seen this before and many artists do it, it has a really nice look to it and I've done it before but I am wondering why because that's not how it would look in reality unless there was an extreme amount of reflective/bounce light coming from a surface nearby. Think you should also consider doing some environment stuff before the characters become a hard comfort zone and improvement would slow down. Make sure to keep pushing yourself into new territories. Awesome work.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    diamandis you re better than you think, i remember a sketch of a girl with a guitar you did which to me is just as good as tb choi. if only you d practice more. i have cintiq companion 2 and its fine for now i guess. i used to have a tiny tablet for a while but i then i only drew twice a year. yea the hand eye coordination is nice when you re sketching. but im getting tired after a while in the hunched position of looking down at it, so when i wanna zoom and render and stuff i plug it in my pc and use it as a tablet on my lap, looking at my bigger monitor.

dennis thanks man, well strong core shadows just add to the 3dimentionality i guess, even if the bounce light is not that strong in reality. maybe im overdoing it. but there's always that kind of pattern when you light something with a single direct light. if the shadow is gonna be darker somewhere (besides occlusion) its gonna be where the planes get exactly perpendicular to the light direction, and as they continue to turn they either get bounce from the other parts of the form or by the environment. what you say about the confort zone is really good advice, i ve been upset about it lately. not only ive never tried enviros, but i keep practicing things i dont entirely know, without learning something new for long time. even the way i do figures without knowing real anatomy might hurt me when i try to learn. got the whole summer to try and break bad habbits and move on to new things, now i barely have time to maintain what i know.

----

the main obstacle that keeps me from practicing. hehe kidding. or not
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 908 Posts
    First time seeing your sketchbook, and I love what is going on. The characters you're making look very interesting, particularly the trio that are reoccurring. Hope to see more of these vibrant characters! Also nice seeing a bit of erotica here and there, helps keep the motivation going for figure studies.

Anyways, thanks for popping on my sketchbook, hope to see more soon!
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your focus on anatomy really shows through in the progression of your pages here, and it's fascinating watching how your line weight grows and changes. Very inspiring!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ElleBlake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kitty :3
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Naidy thanks im happy that you like them these days im gonna be posting more of them i guess cause im studying for exams and dont have time to study art, so i just doodle them out here and there when i can.

did a sketch of their ship today, had it in my mind for long time but never drew it digitally to see how the pirate hologram looks. kinda cool, maybe needs to be bigger and ill have to make a better design of it next time. or even use the standard pirate logo with the swords, that could look more iconic. dunno, right now its supposed to have tessa's sword, cheree's automatics and lush's third eye

im always trying to improve so cc is always welcome duh... not sure if that dome thing is ok now, kinda looks like magic void but its supposed to be glass when the thing opens. maybe the entire thing should light up from inside and have the hologram be 10 times bigger than the ship. could be fun. or maybe i should actually draw these instead of procrastinating pretending its study time.

Thanks
    Looks awesome. I like the bulk and the heft, and the reflection of the hologram on the dark glass, and the whole glass thing in general. It took me a minute to figure out what it reminded me of, but then it came to me: Galbadia Garden from Final Fantasy VIII:
    Example 1
    Example 2

(Which is hilarious, because crankshaft posted something about an airship from FFVIII in my SB recently too.)

I could also see it in a finished state looking something like phatty Starcraft armor, haha:
    Example 1
    Example 2

Re: the question of the size of the hologram, what's the hologram going to be used for?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    QAQ dat structure

17. The Following User Says Thank You to z4m97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 758 Posts
    I think it's inspiring to see how confident your linework is both in pen and in pencil.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    diamandis thanks, i havent seen this ship but i guess it does remind of it. didnt know final fantasy had sci fi stuff, thought it was just fantasy lol. the hologram's supposed to be like raising a pirate flag but in space. which kinda means surrender or die, we re now coming to take your stuff. like a warning to scare other ships. cause pirates dont negotiate through comms! i think of it as a very small weaponized cruise ship so maybe the hologram should be really big to be visible.

z4m97
    i ll catch up with you one day!

tiggeraz thanks man, im always trying hard to have good control. im happy it comes from you, having so clean one-shot lines.

---------
    some doodles of another character from my story, guru maharaji. she lives in her own dimension which is an alternate version of earth's moon untouched by civilization

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your figures are pretty amazing, do you think about basic shapes? or do you think about the actual finished figure and just do as one would from reference?

Thanks
    Dem hands. So jelly. I will catch up to you someday. .__.

And yeah, most of the FFs are a mix of fantasy and really ornate futuristic stuff. Some of them stick to a medieval setting purely, but I hate those ones. I mean, I don't play them anymore, and the PS3 versions forward seem like shit to me because I didn't grow up on them, and I probably only see the PSX-PS2 versions through nostalgia-tinted glasses but I love them.

The pirate hologram could be big, I guess, so it's visible from very far away in space. And maybe it'd shrink down gradually as the ship approached. I dunno. I've never been robbed in space, I don't know what would strike fear in me and my ISS crewmates' hearts.

EDIT: I've also been going back through earlier entries in your SB that I missed, mining it for knowledge. Good stuff, dude. The cylinder-of-light stuff for projecting shadow is a great idea.

EDIT #2: what Schoolism classes have you taken so far, and what do you think of them? You weren't into the intro to drawing one? I'm considering that one, but it seems similar to DrawABox, and I didn't really like DrawABox--it's one of the things that made me switch to 3D last year.
    Last edited by diamandis; June 25th, 2017 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z4m97 View Post
    your figures are pretty amazing, do you think about basic shapes? or do you think about the actual finished figure and just do as one would from reference?
    thanks! i try to think about basic shapes but i can never get proportions right. not sure if im approaching it correctly, maybe im being too literal. when i draw shapes and try to fit stuff in, it never works out. gotta roughly think of the 3d thing to draw it. im not trying to stylise these too much so im basically imagining a simplified figure on the canvas like its invisible and then try to trace it. i try to incorporate the "theme" of the character in my lines as i draw the forms. (jagged/flowy/straight) thought they all seem very close cause im not confident enough on experimenting i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    Dem hands. So jelly. I will catch up to you someday. .__.
    it almost seems like you re trolling me but you made my day either way

And yeah, most of the FFs are a mix of fantasy and really ornate futuristic stuff. Some of them stick to a medieval setting purely, but I hate those ones. I mean, I don't play them anymore, and the PS3 versions forward seem like shit to me because I didn't grow up on them, and I probably only see the PSX-PS2 versions through nostalgia-tinted glasses but I love them. anime type things were never my thing so i wouldnt know, i got my first console for assassin's creed 1 ffs... had no childhood lol. been a hardcore gamer piece of shit ever since until i miraculously quit about a year ago hehe.

The pirate hologram could be big, I guess, so it's visible from very far away in space. And maybe it'd shrink down gradually as the ship approached. I dunno. I've never been robbed in space, I don't know what would strike fear in me and my ISS crewmates' hearts. well you re lucky you made it so far! i showed a friend of mine and got excited and said he'd try to make in in cinema 4d for practice. i hope he does! ill post it here and take credit - i mean would be awesome to see it in 3d and rotate it and make even the hologram 3d like the ones from ghost in the shell.

EDIT: I've also been going back through earlier entries in your SB that I missed, mining it for knowledge. Good stuff, dude. The cylinder-of-light stuff for projecting shadow is a great idea. wow now you really made my day. i ve had times that id go to your first page(which was awesome already) to see your improvement and get boost that its possible to become that good.

EDIT #2: what Schoolism classes have you taken so far, and what do you think of them? You weren't into the intro to drawing one? I'm considering that one, but it seems similar to DrawABox, and I didn't really like DrawABox--it's one of the things that made me switch to 3D last year. i ve only done drawing fundamentals and still doing gesture drawing, which makes me sad to think about. its been more than 4 months i think. well i wouldn't recomend the drawing one, its an introduction to the surface you re supposed to barely scratch. as i did it i was wondering what would i do if i hadn't done drawabox first. gesture drawing's good, but isnt really about figure drawing. more like "storyboard sketching". some graphic approaches and techniques focused around communicating story and idea, not physicality, which are insightful and useful to apply in figure drawing.
    funny that you say that because i learned about drawabox from a message you sent me last summer and it was the thing that helped me the most and the biggest revelation to me. was basically the thing that made me realise that studying is a thing and discover how i should study. but i had never heard of these things before, i mean you already got the thinking and know these stuff. i dont think it would do any good if you did drawabox now. unless you wanna approach it as doing it in the best of your ability and not really learn new stuff, which i dont think is the best place to do that. if you wanna do something like that get the scott robertson book or sth. i ordered it myself about a week ago. its basically where the guy from drawabox takes stuff and simplifies them for beginners.
    more captain lush doodles

Thanks
    ?????

This lovefest is getting ridiculous, and maybe you're in one of the "perceived technical skill" dips in the artistic improvement graph (see below), but:
    • You're a much better draftsperson / drawer than I am. My drawings are super messy and take me forever to get to a good spot in, and I usually do only digital these days, which means I do tons of undoing and erasing. When I'm drawing with purpose, not just doodling aimlessly, I have to do lots of gesturing, lots of moving stuff around, lots of correction etc, and this happens over and over throughout the process. Meanwhile, based on looking at your drawings and reading some of your posts, you're now very fast, draw very cleanly, and as far as figures go, have excellent proportions and anatomy and such. You are a skilled and efficient drawing machine, and you'll only get better. I was just okayish a few years ago, and have been getting worse as I've let my skills lapse. I'll try to get better now to play catch-up (I still think I should plow through DrawABox, since you seemed to like it), but I don't think I have it in me to get onto your exact trajectory, since my natural drawing mode is very very sloppy (I'll post some shitty paper gestures later to give you an idea, haha)--which is fine, I don't have to be perfect. But you, you're gonna kick so much ass, because you have a great base to build on.
    • You're great at indicating light, shadow, and form, and I know nothing about any of those things, aside from very basic perspective ray-casting junk. I know nothing about representing 3D form tonally.
    • Your design skills are great, and mine are just meh. Aside from blasting some Feng Zhu notes a while back, I know shit about costume design and such. For being on a site dedicated to concept art for years, I know embarrassingly little about it. Meanwhile, you output tons of creative, visually interesting stuff all the time!

Yeah yeah, I have fun with color and draw some weird fun shit sometimes, etc whatever. I'm okay. From an objective standpoint, you are better.

The critical eye of us artists is both a curse and a blessing: we're highly self-critical, which helps improve our work, but we're often down on ourselves as a result. Here's the graph I mentioned earlier: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1360078640

That's all I'm gonna say. No more "gosh golly I'm just okay" stuff from either of us, I hope. Let's all get better!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast