Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    That seems a bit contradictory. You want to improve your colour, but you're not going to colour because you're not good enough at colour? You learn by doing it, give it a go and you'll see exactly where you struggle and what you should study to improve, you learn from doing something new not from doing something you've done a million times before. To quote Shia: JUST DO IT!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    PhanThom-art thank you man, i totally agree with you. all the painters i like are very loose, the more something looks like someone painted it the more i like it. but i think the problem is that these people are just really awesome and got everything down to science. when i try to paint something i inevitably get too tight because im always guessing and tweaking stuff here and there. master painters just know things, they dont try to guess so they do 3 strokes in the right place and boom. i think thats why loose and unfinished stuff are so cool, cause u can see the intent and some thinking process that is just right. but when my intent is not that clear and dont really know what im doing, i cant fake making something unfinished look finished :/ so i gotta keep practicing and hope it will come one day!

Dennis Kessel hahhaha yea shia is the guy when it comes to doing it thanks for your comment, of course you re right but im such a chicken. i mean studying color from early on is probably the best idea, but im getting so stressed out when i think of more than one things at once that i end up not doing anything. like, i remember i tried to study loomis some months ago and at the time i hadnt figured out perspective that much. not that i hadnt studied it, i knew the theory but just needed practice to feel better about it. so stress consumed me and i couldnt learn anything while knowing i suck at perspective. so i was stuck at a point where i procrastinated and didnt study anything because i wanted to study loomis but was too hard. so i try to take things much slower... takes more time but its better than not doing anything at all. to be honest im now at a point i prefer not doing anything at all if i dont have some kind of instruction of how to do it. or some idea that im practicing the right thing.

which reminded me i have some old stuff i never uploaded here. back when i did these i wasnt studying anything, i didnt even know studying to get better is a thing. i thought id just get better if i do random shit. and guess what, i didn't get any better at all. after each thing i did the next one was exactly the same amount of crazy hard. now i dont even remember what its like to use this amount of brain power for a drawing. and i thought this is how it is supposed to be. i had no idea what i was doing. i just sat there and scribbled, painted over shit again and again liquifying color adjusting using a bunch of cheats until things looked somewhat right, not having a clue what i was going for. just waiting to get lucky. and they may not look like it, but especially the comic cover ones and the bowie one took me days to finish. and it was always the same amount of painfull. anyway the point is, even when i experimented with color and stuff, i didnt learn anything and didnt get not one bit better. on the contrary when i studied gesture i got better at gesture, when i studied perspective i got better at it, when i studied form and a little light i significantly improved. i mean, when i know what the right thing is supposed to be and i know how to practice it im improving. when i just struggle with color again and again without knowing shit i just become better at struggling with color, not really getting past the struggle part lol. so im just gonna patiently wait till i start studying color, which i dont think im ready yet. why do i have to write my damn life story on each post... sorry lol
    Attached Images Attached Images                        

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    more old stuff, but these are from when i actually started studying stuff serously. there's not any huge improvement, in fact im not sure if any improvement is visible at all. but at least i made them much easier, i didnt suffer, i had something to hold on to. and by making more stuff after that, i actually improved i think.

i have 2 more images from almost 2 years ago that are sooooooo bad but damn they are on the pc at my parent's house. i had found a tablet but it was kind of like the ones they have on shops and banks for people to put their signatures on. so small. i had just started making that "lush" thing up and figured i'd draw something on the computer lol. i didnt even know about layers then. got to look for it when i go back home. the other one was even worse was a picture of my world of warcraft character makes my laugh just thinking about it.

Thanks
    Okay I see what you meand and often you'll know what's best for yourself. But if you did all that color work and not see any improvement in your next pieces of color work that's not great. Just doing color pieces definitely wont help you improve it as quickly as doing a colour piece, see where you struggle and than study that one aspect of color but it should still help somewhat. As your brain will still pick up on what colors work well together, what colors go into the shadow of other colors, just make sure that when you're drawing you're constantly asking questions as to why you're doing something the way you're doing it. I think these last two updates actually show really impressive use of color so I don't see the problem. I definitely feel the colored pieces jump out at the viewer more and overall will hold interest longer. But again you know what's best so focus on whatever you think will help you improve the most. I look forward to seeing more updates, color or non-color

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your mind must be moving at 100 mph!
    All of your doodles are amazing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ClaysCustomGrips For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks dennis, always appreciate your support yea the color may look decent because of the ultranoob approach i got to it. i lay the flat local colors of things under the sketch and then i make another layer at 50-60 opacity that covers pretty much everything that is supposed to be lit, which is again 2 flat colors but one for the shadows and one for the light. this just unifies everything no matter how bad you are, as long as these 2 are complimentary and look good. i do all these things very rough with no selections and i even leave the rough linework there because im too lazy for lineart, and then i paint over everything in another layer now that i have all the colors there, so it seems like i actually painted the color lol. so i cant pick colors manualy thats the only way i know to put color. and if its a value sketch, i just struggle with multiply and overlay and color modes. though with good values you can get away with sucking at color but i want to be able to paint with color like all the cool guys

ClaysCustomGrips dude thanks so much!

some stuff i did today. im gonna start studying from at least one proko anatomy video per day, now that ive watched all the figure drawing videos. so his first ones are about the facial features. i just note stuff down to remember them easier i guess. i just realised how condensed his videos are, you gotta pause every 5 seconds if you want to pay attention. so cool that he has all that stuff for free

Thanks
    Wow, lots of new stuff since I last looked! Thanks for telling me about TB choi too!

Really cool sketches as always, need to take a leaf out of your book and do more random perspective studies along with my anatomy studies. Awesome to see what your doing in the gesture class too, I like the look of that random shapes made into poses idea.

As for colour... do you do quick thumbnail photo studies? I find that has helped me a lot. I'm not the best example because I'm struggling with colour myself, but maybe try copying colours down from photos without the colour picker. You start to learn how colour works as you do it more and more, because you mess up a lot at first. Also found the book colour and light by James Gurney helped me. Mixing traditional paints can help a lot too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathWalsh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heath thanks buddy! the james gurney book is on my to buy list. that guy is a-freaking mazing! everytime he posts something on instagram i get so inspired, cant think of something cooler than these little sketchbooks with the tiny paintings he does! so... pretty!

perspective is just something that you learn the rules once and you only get better and better at as you do it. the more you draw random stuff in perspective the easier you see the grid in your mind without drawing it. i draw boxes and stuff a lot when im too tired to think and it helps a lot, you should try that too!

about photo studies, i have never studied color. i think of color very graphically, got no idea how it works with light. thats definitely something i should start doing, but its so hard for me since i almost never studied from photos... its part of why i hated drawing for so many years, cause i related it with measuring and copying and anything that has to do with that seriously makes my brain hurt. its a big problem i got. even when i draw something from ref, i only look at it to see how it is so i can picture it in my mind, i never measure anything. the ref is only there as some side note of where the light is and how the forms are, but i pretty much draw from imagination even with ref. dont know why it is so hard for me, i know i have to do it to learn. not sure if im just super lazy, cant compare lengths, or moving my eyes back and forth make me dizzy, but i honestly find it easier to draw from imagination and measuring and copying really gives me headaches.

like, these are all warmups from imagination. if i had to copy these from a ref id probably need to lie down for a couple of hours after i was done, and they would look like shit. i know they re not very accuate now either, but i can see the improvement as im doing them. even figures are easier for me to do from imagination, the only problem is that i may not know the real anatomy but i just make stuff up. when i draw figures from ref, im all around the place, i dont know what to look at first. everything is right there and i cant really focus on actually visualizing the forms. and if something in the ref is not the way i want it to be, like an arm being too stiff or whatever, i get frustrated and just dont want to draw it lol. sometimes i even want to make it look like the ref but its been so long since i last looked at it that its completely different but still looks right.

Thanks
    Some constructive critique for your charcoal studies:I think you should do master studies/simple still life studies/bargue studies
    that are based on copying shapes and learning to draw from observation and trying your best to copy the reference.
    I think it will force you to master how to create thin lines and appropriate edges with the charcoal pencil,trust me when I say this
    that going for quantity instead of conscious practice and mindful learning will not yield improvement.
    A good intro to measuring is this guys free tutorial on accuracy : http://www.dorian-iten.com/
    also harold speed book(I think its copyright is over) is really good for drawing from observation principles.

Also if you are looking to start to study color try doing grayscale value studies first,once you get the drawing and values down color is a lot easier to manage.
    and if you are intrested in understanding color theroy this site:http://www.huevaluechroma.com/ along with james gurney color and light book are pretty much
    the best resources I found(though observation is the best way to learn).

This is a do as I say and not as I do kind of post so hope you dont find it patronizing hehe.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice studies, love your shading. Not sure what to critique except for just keep going, you're doing well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    This is a do as I say and not as I do kind of post so hope you dont find it patronizing hehe.
    what amazing recources! thanks so much for sharing and thanks for the critique, your advice is always most valuable to me. that dorian guy deserves more attention, watched a couple of videos and i personally haven't seen better explained and digestible stuff. ill try to do exactly as you say and hope you dont stop telling me what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Nice studies, love your shading. Not sure what to critique except for just keep going, you're doing well.
    thanks friend!

these are some doodles from last night before bed

Thanks
    Ahh, I know, makes me want to do more traditional. Once I have more money I have to pick up some paints because I'm all out.

Thanks, I'll start doing that! I need to start doing more on my computer too, because even when I get it on paper I struggle once it's on the screen for some reason.

Yeah, but studying from life or photos is really helpful... I do get it though, that's pretty much how I used to be, still am to a large extent. Maybe try studying the colours from photos and applying those colours to your own drawing? I like to take a photo of a random person and draw a different person from imagination, then work with the same colours on my draw that I see in the photo. I dislike doing detailed photo copies partly because even if I copy it well I seem to learn very little. So I try to use the same light and colour on a different surface. (like a face from a different angle.)

It's not quite as helpful as quick thumbs based on the photos because the small thumbs force you to pick out the most important colours. That can help you to learn how light works too. They are also fast as you become better at seeing colour, so I often felt I learned a lot more from doing a lot of them. Though I'm trying to do longer studies now.

Anyway, sketches look awesome. Pretty amazing to me that most of them are from imagination!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathWalsh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so today i thought i'do a ref study (not a great photo to study from but i kinda wanted to draw that). i'd try to do at least the lay in. so i dropped a plumline and as soon as the thought of measuring heads and comparing angles and random lengths crossed my mind, i already got dizzy...
    a straight vertical is as far as i got with the lay in. i ended up doing the gesture and constructing the forms on it exagerating a little and changing some stuff. what i did there is like my favorite drawing activity. yep im a perv i say it outloud, like, who prefers clothes over no clothes??

this is as detailed as i ve ever been with rendering. i was thinking about ambient occlusion and the modeling tone as vilppu describes it like the light is basically our eyes and anything that turns away from the eye gets tone. took me about 3-4 hours. i need to look up how to blend and stuff. some people blend with mixer brush or smudge and seems so easy but i cant seem to control them properly. i blend with color picker and brush but can't be too mindless with it, and it takes more time.

but seriously that measuring thing is a problem, i tried 2 more times with charcoal and 1 with digital yesterday and gave up. and i dont really give up often. to me the mental energy required to observe the thing and make graphic notes is huge compared to just recreating the thing in 3d based on the ref. may not be "accurate" (can be perfectly believable if you have a good ref, it just wont look exactly like the ref) but why even draw something to be accurate if you dont think in 3d?

maybe part of why i fail to do the exercise is because i dont see in which part of drawing it helps... the only thing i can think of that it improves is the ability to actually measure stuff and being accurate. and learning proportion? if this was the only way to learn proportion i d quit drawing for real. you can learn proportion by drawing a chart a bunch of times and memorizing it. hell you can even get naturally used to proportion by doing even 30sec quickposes, which is my case. i still havent memorized exact relationships from charts. i dont know, i might be too stubborn but deep inside i deny doing it cause i dont know what skill am i going to improve by measuring... besides measuring. which i have no interest in. my goal in art is to be able to draw from imagination whatever 3d object im thinking.

like, with perspective for example, you actually have to do very tight drawings at first to see what correct perspective is, and by having done and see it enough you can finally guess stuff without drawing grids. with color you have to practice recognizing and copying exact colors so you can get used to how it works and think in color. by accurately measuring from observation, what is the revelation than i am supposed to see? ok this arm's negative space translates graphically as a trianlge whose side is 45 degree with the ground and the extension goes to the foot... so-freaking-what? i just dont want to do that! i can see those relationships perfectly fine but why waste so much mind power to take a billion things into account to draw a line to be exactly as it is in some absolute god given ref? i may speaking out of my ass right now and may missing something huge and being really stupid, but these are my honest thoughts right now and if i dont find some other hidden value in measuring i dont think i have even the bare minimum of motivation required to practice it...

Thanks
    bunch of gestures

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    so today i thought i'do a ref study (not a great photo to study from but i kinda wanted to draw that)
    Looks good. I like how you unclothed her. You could draw porn, this looks very fappable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    so i dropped a plumline and as soon as the thought of measuring heads and comparing angles and random lengths crossed my mind, i already got dizzy...
    a straight vertical is as far as i got with the lay in. i ended up doing the gesture and constructing the forms on it exagerating a little and changing some stuff.
    People who don't do that are pedants, so no worries.
    Last edited by themax; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:02 AM. Reason: "like" -> "looks"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to themax For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast