Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    would be interesting to see what you can do freestyle then

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyndsay Harper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    little sketch from imagination. random exaggerated girl poses are my fav thing to draw
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    these are from like a month ago i think. i never know what im doing when coloring its always a struggle for me. i cant color manualy without making major photoshop adjustments, so i always use multiply or color or overlay modes and dont think about it until i start studying color. they re quick fun sketches anyway i just leave them be as soon as i get bored

Thanks
    10 min with ref. i need to establish better construction before rushing to get the shading in.

Thanks
    for last week's chow. step 3 was my entry post and i came back to it to make some adjustments. the whole thing took me less than 4 hours which is very quick for me. in summer when i made this steampunk dude for my first chow it took me maybe 20. and not because of digital techniques, havent learned anything new i still know the same basic stuff. i just didnt know how to draw. not that i do now but at least i can see some improvement

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I sympathize with what you wrote at the start of this sketchbook, but let me say, you're doing far more impressive work than I was when I was your age, and to be honest better than what I'm doing now. There's much to feel optimistic about

Really really try to keep this sketchbook updated, you've got something special going on here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shoebill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last two post are pretty awesome,a crit I would give you is to add variety to your line weight,you outline the figure with the same line weight
    in all areas which breaks the form and gives it a more graphic look,if thats your intention then ok but in my opinion it hurts you drawing.
    here is an awesome little video on line weight-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zl5NnEAyU

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shoebill thank you so much for stoping by and for your encouragement you made my day
    GrayPersona thanks for pointing that out i wouldnt have thought of that. i just liked having a pen go down the paper to make a clean outline just for the sake of kind of enjoying the hand motion. but wouldnt think of what it does to my drawing. also thanks for the video gonna save it for the evening to practice, this guy is skill capped in what he does! im gonna get his book soon.

lately i ve discovered a way to think about cast shadows that always confused me and i cant find peace with something if i dont feel that i understand what im doing.
    so to help me understand the direction of light and the projection of an object on a surface, i try to imagine both as solid 3d things.

1)i imagine the light as a tube because with tubes its so easy to place them in space if you dont mind how they are rotated around their axis. while with boxes you have to think about that too. (with point light i imagine cones. but its harder because you have to really see the cone in your mind to see the angles of each line inside it. its like a cone that its base is a sphere actually. and if you imagine the sphere go up and down the cone you can make the intersections with the object and find what light touches and what it doesnt.)
    2)if i dont think of the cast shadow as a solid extrusion of each of the object's surfaces, i just cant see it in my mind. i mean i have to think of it as a separate 3d box like the blue and the red one in the first sketch. so if i extrude the object at the same axis as the tube which is the direction of light i just find the intersection of that extrusion with the plane.

the light tube helps if the object's surfaces are not parallel to the plane you wanna project. it helps to visualize the placement of the object in space if you draw the intersection of the tube with the object, and it also helps to define plane changes in round objects, like where the light stops seeing the surface and define the core shadow, like in the second sketch with the cylinder.

accuracy doesnt matter, im not planning on drawing tubes and cones and stuff everytime i want to make shadows. these are very rough sketches and theyre a bit off actually but if i think of these in my mind everything becomes easier. so im gonna practice visualising these a lot, drawing a bunch of them to hardcode it in my mind

i ve heard people say "imagine you re where your light is and look at your object and think about what you see and what you dont", but thats pretty hard to me. i can get a general lighting idea but to see the cast shadows is very hard. i figured the intersections thing myself dunno if its common fundamental knowledge or if it comes more natural to others but i already feel i can draw light better now and im pretty happy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    these are from like a month ago i think. i never know what im doing when coloring its always a struggle for me. i cant color manualy without making major photoshop adjustments, so i always use multiply or color or overlay modes and dont think about it until i start studying color. they re quick fun sketches anyway i just leave them be as soon as i get bored
    Study from life, I recommend to do it with traditional because it forces you to mix and just paint, theres nothing wrong learning it with digital as long as you study it from life

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    scott robertson has some dvd's on shadow casting with simillar ideas
    also marcos mateu mestre released two perspective books recentely with one on the basics and the second dealing with advanced shadow casting(they are definitely on my to buy list).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayPersona View Post
    also marcos mateu mestre released two perspective books recentely with one on the basics and the second dealing with advanced shadow casting(they are definitely on my to buy list).
    Hey, thanks for sharing!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To answer your question light can be emitted in various ways. If it's from the sun, or a really really far away light source, it's parallel because of how far away the light source is, if it's from a point source light( e.g spotlight) it's emitted in a cone shape where rays radiate out of it and so cast shadows would be a lot larger and softer because of it. so the cylinder method your talking about wouldn't work for all cases since it's basing it on the fact light is parallel.
    Animation Student - Toronto Canada
    >>SketchBook<<

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    stonec graypersona and kamikazel33t many thanks for your suggestions and advice, tiggeraz thanks for stopping by! diamandis hey buddy

i tried using a charcoal pencil for the first time yesterday, and realised its totally different from regular pencil. i thought i had some decent control with my hand but somehow with charcoal i become more shaky and having a hard time with angling with the paper to shade like proko does. not that the grip or the motion feels weird, but i wonder how does he always have a smooth taper to shade with so consistent lines with the side? im sharpening it correctly but after a couple of strokes the sides of the tip get flattened, like it has sudden plane changes and when i want to shade with the side i have to check which side of it is more smooth and cylindrical to let me shade...

here's some 30 sec gestures, i havent ever done gestures with pencil. i always do them with fine liner like the 10sec ones on the first photo. (unless theyre 5+ mins but i dont approach it the same way then) so with charcoal it feels kinda weird having to think about rotating my hand as i move it. the figures on the last one with the boxes are from imagination.

Thanks
    random

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast