Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

Sparekiss-Sketchbook

I am 22 and im a student in a design engineering department that sucks balls. In august 2016 i suddenly realized that i have to do something with my life, and that lame school is not going to help in any way. im still going to finish it, because im on my 5th lost year ffs, but i decided to screw everything and pursue art.

i ve never had any art education, cant say i ve been drawing since a little kid. only as a little kid, pretty much. stopped as soon as it was mentally possible to play video games. only to occasionally doodle characters from games in class. i always knew im inclined to drawing but i never took it seriously, or had the drive for it. i genuinely only drew because i wasnt playing, super bored, wanting to play. my parents, though impressed and acknowledging, didnt consider a drawing skill something useful to have. i never felt like i was doing something important or special.

for now im trying to teach my self as much as i can as fast as i can, while i try to finish school so that maybe later i can get a proper education somehow. i made this sketchbook because i have no-one to show my work, no-one that can tell me what to do and give me advice. my ultimate goal is to achieve mastery and nothing else matters. i will take any critique and use it to become better. ill be more than ecstatic for my mistakes and weaknesses to be pointed out so i can work on them. watching tutorials and endlessly practicing is cool, but not ever getting feedback from someone related can be the key to never really improving.

ideally i aim for illustration and character concept for game or stylised film. but thats a looong way. so be a sexy little darling and help me get there! and i may have a spare kiss just for you
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sparekiss; January 27th, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    here's some sketchbook practice stuff for start, ill be uploading more. the figure drawings are 5-7 minutes. i set the 5 min timer but i go back to them sometimes after i finish the session and spend a couple more minutes without the reference. i like outlining them and such.
    some 30 sec hands, also outlined afterwards , skull from a proko shading demo, and anatomy figures from imagination

Thanks
    Really nice start, and it's also good to know what your aims are. You've obviously got good knowledge of anatomy and your figures from imagination are strong. Just watch the proportions (if you're trying to make them realistic) and make sure you always think first of the gesture, then the whole figure in head heights. Other than that I can't say much... just keep posting, and the more you post the more feedback you'll probably get!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave MacLeod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you dave for your comment! you are very right i have barely studied proportion. i try to get things right by eye as i do the guesture. i dont really know the relationships between things with numbers. thats definitely something to look into. as for the anatomy, the sketch i did is pretty much everything i know. just the general major rhythms. i may hint bumps and stuff like i know whats there but its only kind of intuitive. i imagine simple forms that would work for the 2d drawing, but dont really have the real forms in my mind. cant zoom in more into specific parts. especially the arms. the shoulder and how the elbow connects with the wrist are most confusing. plenty of stuff to study.

here's some more random studies. the 2 girls and the da vinci sketch are some of my first drawings from when i started this whole thing in summer. strangely i havent improved much as of end result, but my understanding is completely different now. i had no idea what i was doing back then. was using maybe 10 times more brain power always guessing everything and scribble until things looked right. trying so hard to visualize the forms in my mind without even knowing how to communicate form or what form is. these were just lucky to be decent, and they took me much more time than they should have.

the heads were done when i started learning about loomis. they are photo ref but the focus is on construction more, rather than likeness and copy

for the boots i tried to draw them in different positioning than in the ref, and invert the drawing. so i saw the ref but drew the mirror image. i did this to see if i can ground 2 objects in the same plane and think in form rather than transfering measurements from one picture to another. i think thats important.

Thanks
    Nice figures dude,very solid studies.
    This post -http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/264250-GrayPersona-s-sketchbook!-I-want-to-draw?p=3656788#post3656788 on my sketchbook was really helpful for me at the time-you might find it useful as well(the guy who wrote it is a good concept artist nowdays)
    Also I think you are at the level that the best advice for you is to also make art with your studies,you have to apply what you learn by creating,dont wait for a time when you are "good enough".
    Make a little project(you can check out the challenges in ca for inspiration or make your own brief) and see how far you can push it.
    keep posting!

Thanks
    GrayPersona thank you very much these are more helpful for me than you think! they re gonna keep me busy for sure.

for now i gotta pass the damn school exams and have fallen behind too much in art. couple more weeks of torment and then im gonna dive into studying isolation. here's some recent practice i ve been squeezing into my days for the price of some sweet sleep, and bad grades.

30sec and 5-10 min poses. i think i should push the 30s to even more general gesture. they feel like they re still bound by the rhythms of the contours and forms and not the overall motion.

Thanks
    Great stuff!, Keep it up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to imPhelikz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you! i will!

Thanks
    some digitals

Thanks
    warmups

Thanks
    not sure if i should be shading in 10 min drawings or focusing on getting the proportion and construction right. these start as 5 min drawings that i just do the gesture then stick some forms on in and squint my eyes to get the major core shadows and stuff. after i do 2 or 3 of them i go back to them for another 5 mins each to refine and outline and such, but i already have most of the information noted down already and dont need to look at the ref much.

dont know if im supposed to be doing this, i think i saw someone do these kinda shaded 10 min drawings and thought id practice that. i know they re not very solid on construction and sometimes i just copy the shadow shapes without having thought about the form much.

Thanks
    are those last ones referanced or freestyle?

if theyre just made up theyre pretty incredible!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyndsay Harper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Solid figure drawing Sparekiss! I'll keep an eye on your sketchbook .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lyndsay Harper no they are referenced! i practice from quickposes.com for these and i set it to chiaroschuro and it shows pictures with good lighting and it makes it easier. thanks for stoping by!

Thanks
    fantasyartist thanks man! i ve seen your posts to other sketchbooks with advices and tips and they re amazing

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast