Thanks

Kick Ass Idea For.......

what if conceptart.org made videos of the workshop, you guys could make killing for the site as well as reach a larger audience. i would pay several hundred for them. like 400-600 dollars. please consider this, those who make these decisions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you'd pay half as much to watch a movie rather then go?

Thanks
    i think they should make videos and dvds but to price them so high... i dunno bout that. if it was a more affordable price range for us who couldnt afford to go. i would love to see what those artists do there (process) rather than just the end result. i think its an excellent idea and jason and his cru should reall think about it.
    cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    im not saying that price is fair im just sayinghow much i woulkd pay.
    JASON AND CRU PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSE EEEEEEEEEEEE DO THIS MAN. THINK OF THE CHILDREN. MY GOD JASON, THINK OF TH CHILDREN
    !!!!!!!!.

Thanks
    Right now wouldn't be a good time to "announce" a video of the workshop, less people will go because they know they can still see it.
    But oh yes, the experience is dramatically different, don't get me wrong.

But I DO believe it is an excellent idea, I would seriously plop down $60 bucks for the DVD (around the same price as a video game!)

This would support conceptart.org and future workshops greatly. It'll sell like CRAZY, no doubt

Please take a moment to think about this Jason.
    This is an awesome idea

Thanks
    i think they would have to charge more then 60 dollars, but im sure they would come up with a fair p[rice right jason?... ohh and cru.

Thanks
    yes jason...just like he said

Thanks
    heeeey...60 dollars is a good price

Thanks
    they hav o pay the artists and everything. so that would take a chunk out, and less the artists let them sell without them getting anything. not sure. jason and cru will have to work that stuff out, but damn you guys would make a killing. think of all th orphan you could save. jk. this could be conceptart.orgs big chance to really expand and maybe you guys could really make this thing much bigger then what it is. think of the fuking audience you guys could hit with these dvd's.
    all hail ca...
    Last edited by thebluepuppy; October 26th, 2004 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    yeah this is a pretty decent idea...

even tho im going to it i would probly still buy the dvd just for memories and such

Thanks
    I've been to the workshop in Austin. I'm not really sure how a practical DVD could be produced. It's around 8 hours of demos for 4 days. That's a little too much to put on a DVD, and there's too much stuff that picking out certain demos or tutorials to put on a DVD wouldn't really cover the whole thing. Also that's a lot of footage to edit. If you're looking for strictly tutorials just buy the Gnomon DVDs.

I would highly recommend just going to the workshop.

Thanks
    how much would the gnomon cost?

in regards to the amount of footage they would put, they could jus do it by interest. if someone wants character developement they get the developement dvd. on that maybe they have like 3 or 4 artists and u jus click or some shit and watch. who knows. i dont even care. i jus wanna see my concept art family do their thing. i like the idea of it all and would surely support it.

if whatever i say sounds like crap jus ignore me.

Thanks
    Listen!

They don't even need to add any music or special effects or intense editing!
    It's all about the art and demostrations!

I don't care if they used a home camcorder to record the goods and burn it onto a CD-R!

I just want to see some good demostrations by the likes of Assal, Coro, Android, and Jason's color theory!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    we have considered this before, but come to the conclusion that it just wouldnt work. the workshops are crowded, and we are too occupied conveying the information to the immediate viewers to be able to successfully direct our comments to the camera. from a demo standpoint, it is a rapid fire barrage of questions while you work, and it would prolly get a little bit confusing to someone trying to watch it on tv, as opposed to being there. the gnomon dvds are prepared in a soundproofed studio, which, trust me, makes a huge difference. the key to what makes these workshops so cool is that the people are right in front of you, and you can ask them anything you want. i love answering questions, and talking to people while i work, we are all willing to do it to some degree, and that level of acessibility really is what makes this special. besides, alex donated a bunch of gnomon dvds to the workshop, which will be handed out to all the attendees,the best of both worlds. so its a two for one, dont you think? but think about it this way...have you ever seen a real master painting, after viewing it in a book or online? its 2 different worlds. being able to see marko's beautiful drawings, jp's intricate paintings, and every one elses stuff at infinite dpi is a whole level of learning. being able to ask them how they do it, with your voice, and having them answer back and be able to phisically convey how they do it in front of you is invaluable info. i get as much as you guys do out of these things. im not only there to share what shit i know, but to learn from the best, and i can tell you from my personal experience, being able to watch these muthafuckaz make the work has helped me in my own stuff more than art school ever did. honestly.-c36

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro
    ...infinite dpi...

you have the wittiest things to say, how highlights = masturbation and etc

Thanks
    step one: get video camera
    step two: aim in general direction of what is going on(so we can see it).
    step three: put microphone near them.
    step four: burn dvd and SELL!!!
    no need for fancy editing or the demonstrator to look at the camera.
    the demonstrator doesnt even need to look at the camera. as long as its recording what hes doing and saying. noone cares if its a bit muffled. point, shoot, record. If you did this and more people could see first hand what these workshops offer, you could then open your market and maybe have this workshop running year round. think open mindedly about this. think of the potential this has to really put ca.org on the map for being one of the greatest of workshops for art in the world(from what i herre it is, but it would let more people know it is). maybe if you play your cards right you could expand it even more and it be like concept arts e3 equivelant.

for the minimum trouble you would have to put in this, this site could make mucho dinero and let all teh people who cant make it see the video,(and people who want it as memory sake)

Thanks
    They DID record a bunch of the austin stuff... and it WAS crowded, and loud with ambient noise... so I doubt much of the demos are as useable as you think. to be honest, as cool as having a memento like the dvds would be, I'd much rather have the work that would go to getting dvds made (which is a ton of work) be spent on the next workshop. why watch it when you can live it? ...haha, sounds like a shitty cable commercial

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I love the video thats been posted on the sf flash site. I don`t care too much for the tuition and stuff, i can always get that on dvd, or some other medium. It is just so cool to see the different people from these boards all animated and stuff. Cuz at best, i`ve only seen pictures of you guys. I don`t neccesarily think that selling dvds would be the best idea, i`d rather download the stuff for free! (poor artists leech syndrome!)

I mean, if people that record videos at the workshop could compile a bunch of shots, or just let the different raw videos be avaiable online, i would be so goddamn grateful that i might explode. or implode.

I have started saving for the next workshop after this, since i live in a part of the world where san fransisco isnt just around the block, and traveling and shit is EXPENCIVE! I AM a poor starving artist after all! :

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    [snip]
    You didn't read coro's post, right?

this could be conceptart.orgs big chance to really expand and maybe you guys could really make this thing much bigger then what it is. think of the fuking audience you guys could hit with these dvd's.
    With more professional recording than you stated above (like, at least give the instructors a mic) and a lot of editing, you may be able to put something good together. Something which more than around 100 people will (want to) buy. But I'm pretty sure that it will cost a whole lot more than you can make on it.
    And if one would skip the professional recording and editing, we would end up with a long, amateur video with lots of background noise etc...which I'm pretty sure wouldn't make as much money as equipment, burning, and other administrative tasks would cost.

Thanks
    i got an idea. just have the instructors do demos inside of tents and sleeping bags, and then you can have a guy with a camera (travis?) run around filming it all (with random shots of lono screaming) and then you can market it as:

Blair Witch 3: Concept Artists in San Fransisco.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    hahahah

proper editing runs us about a thousand dollars a minute to use a pro for the job. we have nine hours of workshop footage from austin and if we were to edit all of it into lets say a 90 minute video we would be well...no we won't be doing that.

your best bet is to come to the workshop. the real deal is better anyhow.

jason

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    the only way you will see this is if you come to the workshop in person. if you want training vids, gnomon makes some. I have watched the gnomon vids and while they are very very worth the money ( I have almost all of them) they are not the same as being at the workshop two inches from an instructors brush as he puts down the paint or pixels.

the group motivation and inspiration at the workshop is beyond anything I experienced in art school or the industry. people literally will not sleep for days and only nap at night just to not miss anything. The workshops are really like xmas was for me when i was a kid...there is nothing better...except instead of a smiling six year old who cant stop jumping up and down you have a bunch of grinning artists all smiling and talking and drawing and painting and cheering and everything else....it is awesome.

Right now the workshops have changed the way I do my work. Seeing nox paint was a huge breakthrough for me. He doesnt realize it or admit it but he has really cracked me over the head with his way of painting. Watching Marko showed me that it is possible to do things exactly the opposite way I was trained and still have it be successful...which I apply to my work...seeing puddnhead draw is like no one you have seen before....this stuff will change your life. It did for me.

jason

j
    no need for fancy editing or the demonstrator to look at the camera.
    the demonstrator doesnt even need to look at the camera. as long as its recording what hes doing and saying. noone cares if its a bit muffled. point, shoot, record. If you did this and more people could see first hand what these workshops offer, you could then open your market and maybe have this workshop running year round. think open mindedly about this. think of the potential this has to really put ca.org on the map for being one of the greatest of workshops for art in the world(from what i herre it is, but it would let more people know it is). maybe if you play your cards right you could expand it even more and it be like concept arts e3 equivelant.

for the minimum trouble you would have to put in this, this site could make mucho dinero and let all teh people who cant make it see the video,(and people who want it as memory sake)

Thanks
    damn its so sad to admit jason and coro are right. from a ME standpoint i would love if they did it but reallistically it wouldnt work out.

sure burst my bubble.

i guess ill just have to wait for those post workshop pics.

hey maybe you all can make a more conscious effort to show work in progress pics to us loyal members. instead of just posting finished work do a more elaborate illustration of how they got to it. we would really appreciate that i guess. thats the least yall can do for us. jus have someone at every artist to take the pics and write a progress report thingy thing on it.

what do you think?

ignore me if you think im retarded

Thanks
    it would kinda be like our basic little art manual thingy thing

Thanks
    over many hours of pondering and developing a scheme to get there i think i thought of a way to go. the only problem is that im horrible with directions. i wouldnt even know how to begin to know where to boook my flight to. where would i book the hotel wheres the workshop? how woulod get back to my flight. shit i dont eve know how to get to philadelphia airport and thats a hour a way. much less make a journey halfway across the world. if someone would help me with this part i 90 percent to 100 percent sure i could make it.
    oh and to adress my signature no my scheme is not to eat cat shit
    Last edited by thebluepuppy; October 27th, 2004 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Id rather go, but im poor.

Ill take a bootleg, camera hidden in a bag copy on beta.

Drew

Thanks
    over many hours of pondering and developing a scheme to get there i think i thought of a way to go. the only problem is that im horrible with directions. i wouldnt even know how to begin to know where to boook my flight to. where would i book the hotel wheres the workshop? how woulod get back to my flight. shit i dont eve know how to get to philadelphia airport and thats a hour a way. much less make a journey halfway across the world. if someone would help me with this part i 90 percent to 100 percent sure i could make it.
    oh and to adress my signature no my scheme is not to eat cat shit
    I believe you can get most information in the workshop forum...but you will probably need to find your way to the airport and into the right airplane. Nothing of this should be too hard to figure out if you have a good map, know where you're going, etc.
    Good luck, I hope you can make it there!