Thanks

Seeking Monitor Advice

Three weeks ago I bought a LaCie 19" monitor...I was REALLY excited because it was a great deal on a monitor reputed to have very accurate color reproduction. Lately I've begun to do my homework on color management, because I want to be in a position to print stuff I draw without the colors going silly on me, so I was just THRILLED about it.

Unfortunately the monitor I bought was defective so I had to ship it back for repairs (had to pay my own shipping too, hmph!). And then the replacement was defective too! And monitors are not fun to ship around, as you can imagine. So I'm not really interested in playing the russian roulette of "will the third be defective too?".

Can anyone recommend to me which monitors out there, NOT in the 4-digit prices, are reputed to be good with color reproduction and are generally good for digital painting?

TIA!
    Jerelyn Foxeye Parker
    Foxeye Art

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you're talking LCD's, then all of the ones that are good with colors are up there with 4 digits, or very close. If you're talking CRT's then they don't have that problem starting at 200 dollars.

Thanks
    Looks like you'Re an unlucky shopper ! Who are you getting your LaCie from ? Personally, I love em. Samsungs and Viewsonics do the job, but most businesses I know that do online/print design stick to LaCies.. But you can order the best monitor in the world ; if it's handled like shit, you'll end up with it.

Thanks
    <-- Fox's husband here

We ordered the monitor directly from LaCie, so no third parties were involved at any step. LaCie was the one handling the repair and FedExing, too, so I think it was a decent assesment of LaCie's quality.

From what I gather those LaCie electron IVs are built around Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT. Scuttlebutt has it that the 19" ones are re-branded NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB monitors, so we're eyeing them right now instead. Do you have any experience with these monitors?

Maybe Lacie monitors have some custom tweaks over the Mitsubishi ones, like Barco monitors do if I understand correctly, but we're not inclined to play russian roulette a LaCie that may or may not last long even if it wasn't faulty out of the box..

Thanks
    I asked around, here's what people told me;
    If you're looking to buy an lcd, EIZO Coloredge, IIYAMA, and higher-grade BenQ models wil do the job.
    If you're looking for crt, Barco, NEC, Mitsubishi, IIYAMA are the top choices, Barco being the most expensive as far as i know. crts are dying out, might as well go for an lcd.

Thanks
    I've been using a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB for about a year and a half now and no problems. I got it shipped from Dell.

Thanks
    We´ve been working here with the NEC FE2111 in connection with an EyeOne calibrator and this solution is working fine for low to middlegrade prepress-work costing about 600 Euro for the monitor and 300 Euro for the calibrator. Other firms I know that are using LaCies haven´t got experienced any probs - maybe you´re just unlucky or the other guys are lucky

I personallly still prefer CRT monitors for prepress work. Good LCD ones (like the new Barco) are still unfortunately too highpriced and the more or less normal ones really don´t convince me. I suppose it´s just a matter of time that the LCD´s are getting better.

Fipse
    (who´s hugging his Barco monitor)
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    I think I will be going with Mitsubishi or NEC then. Thank you everyone! I'll be so relieved when this saga is at an end. Heavy monitors are not fun things to be swapping around!
    Jerelyn Foxeye Parker
    Foxeye Art

Thanks
    Just to seal the deal, all we use here in the design studio is Mitsubishi/NEC and at home. The Mitsubishi 2070SB is a great monitor and at 22" should be large enough to cram palettes in, unless you have a second "palette" monitor.

Thanks
    I spoke too soon. My monitor just died today. I guess I cursed it for saying I had no problems with it.