Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

have at it. feel free to comment on any or all of them, or none of them. Compositition? Colors? Subject Matter? I can upload grayscale of these later if it would help.

Big fortress; The composition's changed from the sketch to color comp; both the Ind. Study advisor and I agree for the better. he also suggested some foreground elements, which I've yet figured out what. A couple of characters would add nicely to the narrative aspect I think.
    Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

Unofficial 3rd piece [I'm only doing two officially for the Ind Study, this is the 4th out of 11 weeks]. I felt this option was more "stately" than the second sketch, so decided to develope this one further. The other view point is also more difficult to render correctly.
    Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

Only one version for this one. I always thought it a challenge to do mostly monochromatic pieces and figured I take a shot at it with this one. Yuki-Onna is from japanese folklore. Snow woman who takes people away when they die in snow storms. Described as wearing white kimono and powdery skin with black hair, usually young and beautiful. but I found a ref of an old woman in a newspaper clipping [ironically she was in the ER for hypothermia] and thought that she'd be fitting. I think the color scheme works okay, though the image can be cropped more. Her stance is rather stiff in the sketch, and I bent her forward a little more in the color comp. The long hair on her left seems to balance her stance out.
    Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

This was very "sparthy" in colors. Though execution is far from his level. I'm shooting for the strong bright light effect I see in Coro's paintings. Idealy the viewer would want to squint, even though there no true bright light shining out from the surface. I need to rework the abstract blob in the back, its intended to be some ominous mothership sort of thing that is launching these flying battle suit/bots.

Still working on a acceptable color comp for this one...
    Ind. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color CompsInd. Study - Paints; Sketches and Color Comps

Last edited by hito; October 27th, 2004 at 01:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kool stuff hito... i like what you did for the 1st pic.

-dns

Ottosketch.com
    LOTR, Halo, Heroes Sketchcards from Topps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap man, your drawings are awesome! That first one especially, but I'm digging them all! The color comps are alright, here's a few things you might want to keep in mind.

suggest a focus with the colors. as in the first one, you used the same yellow at the top of the building, under the bridge...same with the robot. samecolor light on his halo thing, on the rocks, reflected on him.

watch your values. obviously if you're trying to follow the drawing, squint at the drawing, then squint at the painting....

do much badassery!

these are way better then when i last saw your stuff a couple months ago (i've been bad about keeping up with the sketchbooks lately....going to amend that..)

awesome dude!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Otto.

Jet-Mike, good points. I didn't realize how lacking in value range the 2nd versions were till you pointed it out. The color comment is great.

Updated with a value study of the Knight vs. Nasty Worm Thing... probably should have started with this on all of them before moving to color... problem is that once I start with colors... things go out of wack. I got a whole lotta to learn with colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just my crits...but many of your comps are too centered and semmetrical which makes them much less dynamic. try not to put your figures in the middle of the picture plane. look at old masters work and you will see what im saying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work hito, I'm agreeing with the color problems you seem to have. Try pushing your color values more. And you can make things really pop by laying in a bright contrasting color beside a very dark color. Take the robots and the mothership for instance. If you brought in darker values to the front of the robots and then put you bright edges on it would really pop. Another thing is to really darker the values around the lights. Going lighter as you go in of course. Something else I'm wondering, is it a preference for all your edges to be soft. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just curious. At any rate, this is some real nice work in the making.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.