Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    @Scorge: All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Thank you so much for this man. This is what I look forward to in the COWs. I have struggled for years trying to improve and am still a man on a mission as you can see and you even validate yourself. This is awesome man, and super cool that you rocked it out in Painter. I feel you are very right on me focusing too much on the process. I don't know why I think the way I do but for some reason I try to make things very methodical. I really do need to focus more on the design, composition, and coloring of my pieces. I definitely need to think more about what I am doing and couldn't agree with you more.

_I see what you are saying about the symmetry in forms and to avoid that and to try and keep a natural look to things. I have to put more work in but this is something that I can focus more on and thanks for bringing it up.

_I have always been told that nature has the best color palettes indeed and I need to look into the complimentary color thing more. Are you talking about light being a color that is also effecting the objects?

_The placing of the feet first is a great idea, I totally see how that would help determine the angle of the ground plane and also set off the stance. Great point on the quadrapeds too having the feet out some for a better balance.

_I totally remember rule #1 and that we must zoom out to look for any tangents or bad form. I keep trying to remind myself the big to small rule as well, go with the big forms first and then break things up more.

_The shell created is a total disaster, I can totally see what you are talking about. There's a lot of stuff that still hasn't become second nature for me, and this is definitely one of them. I see how the image is flat with the repetitive texture I put in.

_It's not harsh at all man. You are way advanced and myself and these other guys are trying our best to get up to par with the program. It's definitely not easy when you're trying to learn by yourself hence the reason for making way on to these forums. I really appreciate your advice and guidance Dave and think the paint out you did is amazing. I made sure to save the image along with making a note of the notes you put so I can revise on my next project as I doubt I'll make deadline for this one.

Do you recommend any particular excercises that will help me get a better foundation? Also, do you find it better to start with line work or move right into form when it comes to designing the creatures? Do you prefer to work black and white into color, or just approach the image directly in color? Just curious if any of these approaches you feel are better than the other and why.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 498 Posts
    Glad it helped. Thanks dude. There are many exercises you can practice, but a lot of it is just using refs for your subjects matter. I don't think that it's about you not being able to draw, but you try to do too much from memory. Before you begin any subject, even if it's completely made up, you'll still need to fill your brain with some examples from nature. I spend a lot of my day checking out the work from other artists to get a better feel for what makes for a more engaging presentation. I typically work in silhouettes first, but I also use the Drew Struzan approach, which incorporates painting and drawing. There doesn't have to be any specific order to how you work, you can do either at any time. Especially with digital media. I try to get my colors in early, but this can be tricky because you might lose track of the values. Easy to do. But if you decide to lay down your color early in the process, you can always check the grayscale version of what you're doing to double check. Each picture I do is a mix of different techniques, but the goal and focus is the same every time, to make an image that is believable and gets my idea across based on things we see in real life. You have a the right ideas for sure, especially as long as you've been doing the COW, but learn to make changes whenever you see something in your work that looks even the slightest bit off. Nothing that we make is precious, because we can always make it better.
    And paint zoomed out! All the time.
    See you in the next one man.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scorge:
    It helps a lot man because I can see how good my work could be if I could get more with the program. I have been going to the www.ctrlpaint.com site to start reviewing art excercises with Matt Kohr, so I am hoping some time put in there will improve things technically my way. As far as referencing goes....I'm guilty as sin for not. I rarely if ever use reference in anything that I do. My ever so sorry reasoning for this is because I like to jump into uniterrupted creating, but I do realize the importantance of using reference and that there are many ways one can go about referencing. I also rarely look at the work of other artists and primarily keep to myself. The only 3 artists I look at when it comes to creatures are Jakkas, Carlos Huante, and yourself. I definitely need to do these two things.

I like the silohuette approach also. Richard Doble had a great CA tutorial on that and I see Feng Zhu making the same approach when it comes to creatures. I'm not familiar with Drew Struzan or his approach, so I'll have to research that. I usually always start with line work because I made a stupid rule based on Jason Chan saying that line work is more expressive than painting with form. I definitely agree with the struggle of losing your values with color early, but a white layer filled with black or white and filled to saturation can indeed do the trick of keeping track when checking the values. I often keep one of those layers in a group and toggle it on and off when I work exclusively in color. I see what your saying that in simple the goal is to create an idea that is believable from a real life stand point.

I'd hope so man, it has been a very long time,lol. I have evolved very slowly through out the years. I try to put in as much work as I can but I guess I just process it all very slow. I definitely need to develop a better eye for things that are off in my work, and I don't feel anything to be precious or have an attachment, I'm never satisfied with my own work and feel it could always be better. I will paint zoomed out,lol, all the time. I will see you in the next one as well; I really would have liked to finish this one, thanks again for the inspiration and dropping some knowledge man. Much love Dave!

Thanks
    @Scorge: Thank you so much again for your wise words. I started paying attention to things you have said and am already seeing good change. I still have much work to make it all click, but I am applying each thing individually as I go along and so far so good. I am just experimenting, trying to let go of bad habits and adapting to the new and this is what I was able to do with a few hours put in.
    Name:  ThunderBug_LegeC2_web.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  257.5 KB

Thanks
    Seems like this one may still be open, so I'm giving it a shot. Here's some initial roughs, followed by the final rough. Now for the posing!!

Name:  Screenshot 2017-02-07 16.30.49.png
Views: 383
Size:  245.7 KBName:  Screenshot 2017-02-07 16.38.02.png
Views: 385
Size:  84.4 KB
    Peter Mihaichuk
    Production Designer/ Art Director/ Concept Artist
    www.mihaichuk.com

Thanks
    Positioning sketch...

Name:  Screenshot 2017-02-09 09.02.47.png
Views: 350
Size:  169.8 KB
    Peter Mihaichuk
    Production Designer/ Art Director/ Concept Artist
    www.mihaichuk.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pmihaichuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really wondering what happened to this thread as well - hopefully Rob is alright!

I have some more Thunder Bugs to add - did a re coloration of the old one and added some previous stages of this bug. Top left is the larvae, bottom left the middle stage.

Name:  Thunder_Bug-Life-Cycle__small.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  266.9 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2