Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 712 Posts

COW #374: Asymmetrical Sea Sniper - WIPs Thread

COW #374: Asymmetrical Sea Sniper - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #374: Asymmetrical Sea Sniper

Brief:
    The oceans are always full of weird and wonderful creatures that come in many shapes and sizes. Sometimes their shapes tend to appear rather unorthodox, sometimes breaking the rules of nature. But like all organisms their anatomy and physiology comes from many many years of trial and error through evolution.

This particular adaptation revolves around the use of firearms! Or at least anatomical firearms. This creature utilizes it's own natural weaponry that allows it to shoot projectiles (for whatever purpose) with terrifying accuracy. It's body has evolved in a way that allows it to utilize this adaptation and it appears to be quite bizarre due to it's asymmetry.

Remember the purpose of it's marksmanship is up to you! Design a creature who's body anatomy is asymmetrical due to it's projectile firing adaptation!

Round Requirements:
    -Creature's anatomy is asymmetrical
    -lives in the ocean
    -Utilizes a method of firing projectiles with pinpoint accuracy

Deadline:
    Sunday December 11, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    ...to be posted...

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Have a gander through hundreds of winning entries from previous topics at Creature of the Week at our Winners Gallery!
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  COW374_AssymetricSeaSniper_w1_web.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  266.4 KB
    So far this is what I have cooking....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The females of this species choose their mates based on the asymmetry of their fins, on the colors of their toxic clouds and on how elaborate they dance and make the toxins swirl.
    Normally the toxins would be ejected at high speeds to stun and sometimes kill prey at a distance.

Name:  asymmetrical_wip1.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  395.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 483 Posts
    Last round looked amazing, sorry I missed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Progress...
    Name:  Sea-Shooter-3.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  136.1 KB
    Last edited by scorge; December 4th, 2016 at 12:34 AM.
    Check it out

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A bit more progress from my side. Really cool piece, scorge!

Name:  asymmetrical_wip2.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  350.6 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fabianguiza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Fabian!
    Done.
    Name:  Sea-Shooter-Small.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  166.8 KB
    Check it out

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lege1: I quite like the dimensions of that creature: it's gigantic! Really feel like the gun doesn't yet fit that well to its body, it merely seems to be attached... Maybe such a huge weapon on one side of the body would have more effect on the rest (e.g. stronger legs on the left side to balance out the recoil).

fabianguiza: Really like it so far.. in the last picture the gun isn't that visible anymore, you probably can solve this by either make it bigger or make it visible by letting it shoot something.
    A colorful design would probably fit it very well!

scorge: Really love your creature, especially like that transparent head part, it looks fantastic! Also showing the creature in action is a great idea and well executed.
    I feel like that ...antenna(?) on its head looks a bit off somehow, I personally would probably prefer it without it... or maybe it would look already better if it was a bit smaller - but that's just my opinion obviously.

I personally spent the majority of the time pondering about the concept of my creature... the sniper part would be already difficult enough, but making it asymmetrical too was just super difficult for me. Most sketches or ideas automatically turned out to be symmetrical and those which were not looked super weird or just didn't work at all.
    Anyway. Here is my take for this round, might not able to finish it in time, but I will definitely try - details and some water effects are obviously still missing.

Name:  Seasniper04.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  98.0 KB

Edit: Progress...

Name:  Seasniper07.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  110.6 KB
    Last edited by Orm Irian; December 9th, 2016 at 02:38 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey all! Even though I'm not submitting a final for this round, I thought I'd post what I worked on.

The idea was to create a reef-dwelling crustacean that curled its body up and used its versatile legs to create a sort of crossbow which would launch spines at prey or predators. I was trying to use inspiration from the Mantis Shrimp to figure out how the mechanics of this would work, but I didn't feel like I really nailed the engineering side or the creature design side, and I didn't have time to go back to the drawing board. It was an interesting problem to try and solve though haha

Name:  COW_374_SeaSniper.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  136.6 KB

@Lege1: Cool sense of scale! I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on the firing mechanism. It just seems awkward and imbalanced, and I'm not sure where the propulsion for these huge projectiles is coming from. Basically I agree with the points Orm Irian made.

@fabianguiza: Really interesting take on the prompt. I feel like you could have gone way more extravagant with the decorative fins. Look at Leafy Sea Dragons, Lionfish, betafish, etc. Also, make sure the projectile-shooting element is visible and obvious in the final.

@Scorge: You already know I love your piece. I think I get too bogged down in making creature designs plausible instead of just experimenting with interesting/appealing designs. Even though your creature doesn't make much sense, it's rad as sh*t. And not everything has to make perfect sense.

@Orm Irian: Also a really neat idea. It looked sort of like a symbiotic relationship at first, and then I noticed those tentacles around the "gun" had eyes 0__o... Super creepy. I think rendering will be key for you this round. Try and really distinguish between the soft and hard parts of the creature. Right now, everything's sort of blending together.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You guys are gonna have to bear with me...I'm having some issues with my home internet so I'm unable to post the finals thread, or the next topic at this time...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    My internet seems stable enough now...I posted the finals thread for this topic and the next topic is posted (with the finals thread ready to go so I don't forget about it again)

I pushed the deadline for this topic to Sunday night to give people an opportunity to post their entries...you can use this time to refine your work even further if you want as well...
    Again, I apologize for the delay...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post: