Thanks

From 0 to concept artist in 2 years: possible?

Self-taught. Due to circumstances i have precisely 21 month to become good enough to get a job. I think I'm a faster learner than average person and practice average 6 hours a day (sometimes extra). What are my chances of success?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 842 Posts
    Impossible to answer that one. I respect your belief that you are learning faster than average, but I have seen more than enough people in many fields who believe they are exceptional, while they are average, like most others (yes, that is the meaning of 'average'). Also, 6 hours a day is not a whole lot. It all depends on your ability to pick up the various skills, i.e. muscle memory, line quality, gesture, anatomy, perspective modelling in space, design, composition, colour theory, perceiving values and colours, mixing values and colours, and a bit of storytelling and history, to mention just a few. And even then, getting a job is not just about being good, it is also a matter of geography, social skills and luck.

It could help if you show us where you are now, and how long it took you to get there. I have yet to meet someone who became employable in two years: I know they exist, but they are rare.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Why can't you get a regular job?

Thanks
    Sure. Why not?

Name:  outlook.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  6.5 KB
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post

It could help if you show us where you are now, and how long it took you to get there. I have yet to meet someone who became employable in two years: I know they exist, but they are rare.
    Fair enough. I will start posting my progress in few months, so we'll see. (Now I'm getting the basics out of the way.) Hopefully I prove to be the one

Thanks
    Hi
    I Think it's good you have a goal and a dream but remember that (the people I have talked to who worked at Dice, Stockholm) being a concept artist at a big Company is a lot of pressure and a hectic job it's not all play and making whatever you wan't. They wan't specific things. Sometimes you might be able to work more free and sometimes not. So Before you sell your flat and buy a ticket to Hollywood try to figure out what it is about the process in concept art you like and if you can get it somewhere else easier. Maybe being a general illustrator (game cards, computer games, Magazines etc) Fine art? Both? Teacher in fine art? Do it on your spare time. Have a regular job and work part time and half time art and have exhibitions and hope you brake through or at least get pay for your time and art supplies. That's my thoughts. I've studied at atelier Stockholm for one semester and at Another more relaxed art school in Stockholm now im studying something completly else but sometimes go to croquise and sketch in the summer sometimes....hope it helps, if not for you maybe someone else reading.

And by the way I Think you goal is completly attainabel. Maybe go to some croquise. And do some "real" irl painting with oil or acrylics would help also. But it's the progress that count's not the hours. QUALITY training. try to do my estimate is 2/3 rds Life studies and 1/3 rds computer in PS and painter. Alway carry a sketchbook. Lots of stillebeen. Quick ones preferably in acrylic to begin with or oil. some landscapes. do friends heads and bodies. pay them or do them favors as a thank. Do this routinely like every other day for 2-3 hours. THAT IS A MUST. than post your progress here for critique. if you work like this 4-5 hours a day quality time Life study 4-5 Days a week and maybe 2-3 Days in the computer that should equal ANY art school. Remember that in the atelier schools you work maybe 2 hrs then a teacher comes and critiques you for maybe 5-10 min roughly, twice a day. Then more when you are finished with a piece. Often they walk around in the school to many student or work themselves so posting here can almost be as good. what you miss isn't the instruction it's the enviroment with all the art and the friends. the creativity, the friendly competition, the social thing. Anyway in my mind it's possible to to it by your self but to have the discipline.
    Last edited by Magnus; November 28th, 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    I highly recommend watching this if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrJuntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I managed to work out a deal, so I will have more than 2 years, but I'll be learning with same dedication.

Whoever pointed me to draw a box, thank you very much!!! These lessons and exercises are crucial for a beginner.