View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following

New Zealand

probably a longshot but r there any other NZders here?..
    Just Lukias ive meet up with so far.

Jace

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, theres me and Rash Overdrive, but I havent seen him round for a while...Im in christchurch but i might be moving to wellington to go to Uni in 2006.

[edit]havent seen Lukias round here for a while either, is he still around? any NZers planning on going to the workshop?[/edit]

Last edited by nil; October 26th, 2004 at 06:43 PM.
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chur!!thx 4 the reply..
    Anyone up in Auckland,im up for a day out of sketching,smoking and alcohol consumption!!..
    yeah,Lukes been busy with commisions i think,i was ment to meet up with him a month or so ago,but got back to him a bit to late.sorry bro....
    Ill b heading of to the CA workshop if i can score a couple grand soon.

Jace

Last edited by Rusty; October 27th, 2004 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Im from NZ, living in london currently though. I'll be moving back to welly around Jan to start uni doing Industrial design.
    Oh and I found out while looking at eatpoo forums that Lukias still posts there! Seems like hes left CA or something (his work is still amazing)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah, im so torn at the moment. do i really wanna take out a $5000 loan and go to the workshop (and add that to what is already going to be a hefty student loan), or should i not.. ? would be cool to have some company if i did go...we could force Rash and Lukias to come along, it would be like the new zealand ca.org whanau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nil,i wouldnt bother adding to your student loan man,those things r death traps...mines only small but its bloody hard to pay off i can tell ya,it just seems to not go away.
    unless youve recently had dreams of winning the Lotto dude i wouldnt reccommend you do that..lol
    goodluck at Uni Schlo-mo.

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm still lurking 'round here. Just being to lazy to scan and post anything recently.

Looks like I'm pretty much in the same boat as you nil. The workshop looks so tempting.. But it's uni time next year and my bank account is already crying at the thought of those loans. Maybe in 2006...

Still, it would be cool if we could all hang out and draw some time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rash Overdrive
    Still, it would be cool if we could all hang out and draw some time...
    yeah, only problem being that were all spread throughout the country...that and i couldnt stand up to the ownage you guys would bring where are you going to Uni, Rash?

so Rusty's in Auckland, im in Christchurch, whereabouts are Rash and Lukias?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luke is down eggfart,er um i mean Rotorua way.

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oo oo more NZ'rs!
    Shit I'd kill to go to the workshop.. but theres no way I can cough up that sort of dough.. even if I had it, there aint a workshop on earth worth like 4G's. Just a pitfall of living in NZ.

..and yeah I live in TePuke... near Rotorua(orginally from Auckland, where I visit every month or so)

Good to see other kiwis around, might hook up some day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey luke,yeah just finished looking through the art comp entrys,theres about 10 entrys that i really like there(including yours),but i think the judges 4 this thing r that "Arty Farty" type,so i dont think theres much hope 4 us man...then again i could be wrong..

goodluck bro..

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since were all here...anyone know much about the Illustration major at Massey (wellington)? Im considering either going for that or Industrial Design at the same place...any opinions? comments? hearsay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, from what I've seen it doesn't look to impressive. None of the samples on the website or here look that great in terms of drawing ability. Especially compared to the sort of stuff you see here...

Next year I'm probably going to be doing this to kinda scope out how good the teaching and stuff is. If turns out to be really good then I'll do a full degree, and if not I'll just do a few papers and the old self-teaching I guess...

And I think that Victoria has a much better ID department. Only porblem is that there seems to be almost no drawing, Just sculpture and new media type stuff.

Man, I should get some sleep, hope this made sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, it made sense. it's funny, cause i was planning on doing the same thing, but unfortunately i cant make it this year. maybe ill see you up there 2006
    whereabouts did you go, rusty?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I attended an animation school for 2 years in which i honestly have to say i learnt nothing other than how an animator flips pages.lol,but i did get my first dose of life drawing there which taught me more than the actual animation course,and the vibe of being around a group of eager and in a few cases phenomally skilled students is very stimulating..im pretty much self taught otherwise....

well,from personal experience ive seen most art teachers at UNI`s r more theory than practical..which isnt as bad as it sounds,theres a hell of alot to learn from them,just i was a naieve young kunt then,id ask more if i was to attend artschool now..still a possibilty i might enroll 4 one within tha next few years...probably be whitecliff or AUT.

Jace

Last edited by Rusty; November 4th, 2004 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well,ive decided to go back to school,artschool...AUT art and design 3 year course..Why?,well as one of my cousins bluntly put it "you got 2 people doing exactly the same job","the one with the PHD will get payed more"....ha!
    plus id like to ask the tutors more this time around,less slackin off,though im not looking forward to writing essays!! .

I just finished having an interview with the schools head tutor and he was pretty keen to see me there next year,thats one hurdle passed,now i gotta figure out a way to pay this fuckin thing off!!.lol

PS...C you there if your enrolling next year...

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me and my brother damon come here often, its good to see kiwi's out here in cyberspace isn't it?
    I went to that art comp thing at fartspace, that physicalroom place, I can't believe the pic they chose as the winner,
    me and my bro have a couple of pics in the next exibit there at the end of this month,
    saw your pic there, it got my vote dude
    nice work,

it scares me how dominant arty farty stuff is at the moment in the nz art scene,

anyways, yea I live in Auckland, give me an email, it would be good to keep in touch with other kiwi artists

haeri rai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey KIERAN OATS,thx 4 posting,ya im still shocked at the winning entry 4 da Artspace comp,they must have a good reason why they chose it,wish i could see what the judges see in it...

haeri rai?...haere ra,or Ka kite is more fitting in this case

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jace, so you are going back to school eh?!?!?. Wicked man, all the best with it. When you're settled in I'll come along one day and hang out.
    How long you there for?. Is the first year a foundation year where you taste a bit of everything then go on to major in one or more subjects(I don't really know how it works eh).
    No scholarship though bro?. Woulda thought if anyone deserved it(based on skills) it woulda been you. No worries, whatever you end up doing you'll be creaming it. One day I wanna do a combined project with you, something QWOJFD@)*#$E)@(#EI@E.
    Summer is here.. although we keep saying it, we will still hook up for a drink.
    Chur!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah bro,im going back to school,cept im no Rodney Dangerfield.heh....man im gonna feel like an old cronie in a classroom full of hormone happy teenagers.lol
    Im jumping straight into the full 3 year thing,Art and Design(wadda serial fulla eh?)..yeah there r foundation year courses but im going straight into it,3 years of bullshit just to get my PHD,5 years for your Bachelors/Masters,Dr Jason has a nice ring to it dont cha think?.lol.yeah right..
    I still havent applied 4 this scholarship yet,so no news on it...Ill b trying to get a flat in/near Auck City so drop by anytime bro,al-kah-hole a plenty,hey we gotta have another game of Pool too bro ..
    You know i wont say no to doing a colab project with you bro,well see how it goes...
    true eh,summers come back with a vengence lately,was even worse up north,5 minute suntan shit!!..10 minutes and your as black as tha locals!!

(edit)Woops!!,sorry got the college degrees the wrong way round,its 3 years 4 a Bachelors,5 years 4 a PHD...me and my tard-ness!!

Jace

Last edited by Rusty; November 30th, 2004 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

I think there's actually quite a few kiwis lurking around the boards, but they're mostly in other countries like me and Schlo-Mo (London).

Kieran, Damon, if you're around, bummer about Nar's. He always was a sensitive soul

Anyway, if anyone is considering heading to san fran and unsure if they'll have anyone to talk to, let us know - the uk crowd is pretty friendly. And not as scary and nerdy as the Americans (seriously, when you meet them, 3/4 of them seem to be teenagers who aren't looking to leave home till they're at least 30).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dirty_c, just drunbk and ewondering if there was a sort of a general reason why you NZ ex-pats left new zealand (i.e., lack of job/training opportunities)?
    /me wants to go to art school, but, as you know im sure, theres bugger all here in nz...my dad's english so im capable of getting a british passport fairly easily, but im unsire of the terms, and wether or nor i'd be anle to stay lomng term to do an art related degreereeeeeee

woo not eating for ages and getting really drunk off 3 glasses of whiskeyt!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well firstly, I'm not sure that it's really as bad as you think. I'm not 100% sure I'd be looking for a game design degree or whatever if I were you. At the Amsterdam workshop, it seemed like nearly all the big names just did fine arts, or illustration. It seems to be important to concentrate on your art first, and the actual industry second. But I may not be the best person to ask about this, I will be honest.

Anyhow, if you're can get a passport, that makes you a citizen. Get that shit sorted right now, because if you're a citizen you can get the same education anyone born here can. And a lot of the time, that stuff has age restrictions. If you're under 18, you're probably ok, but do it now, cause it might be 17 or 16 - the laws governing citizenship are often really old, and based on srtange stuff, so not the usual ages. Even if you don't use it, it's worth looking into.

The main reason I left nz was nothing to do with opportunities. I didn't come here to work, I came here to see the world and expand my horizons. All the pros I've met say that there's a lot of great work out there, but loads of them just look the same, and that doesn't help you get work. Train as hard as you can in an environment of pure learning, not a purely industry-sponsored one, and you'll find your own unique style. That's where your value will be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, i did mean art training rather than anything specifically vocational (e.g., 'Game Design' degree) I'm thoroughly unimpressed with pretty much all the schools I've seen in NZ, but hey, maybe I've just not looked at the right places.

note to self: no more drunken posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm yet to see a single school that teaches any sort of traditional drawing to a decent level. The best places I've seen are those that kinda let you do your own thing under guidance.
    I'm sure you'd learn stuff, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to justify the peices of eight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, if you went through all my posts and could find more than 50% of posts made when I was sobre, I'd be surprised. In fact, that reply last night was when I was drunk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, yeah, posting drunk is the only way to go. i only typed that i shouldn't when i was hung over

Rash: I know exactly what you mean. the hard part for me is gonna be trying to keep a decent job while still having enough time to do my own art training. when you need to study outside work hours to remain employable, it really bites into your art time.
    spose i could always work at KFC...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prague workshop

Anyone planning on attending?

I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if I should hit htis one or maybe the next one in the US...

Would be cool if there were a few of us NZers going...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started a thread in the Education section to talk about schools in NZ - would love to hear anyone's opinion - could prove to be very useful to anyone considering schooling here in NZ...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46895

Please share!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'll be in Prague. If there is anyone else planning on being there, it'd be cool.

And I'll be home for at least a couple weeks around New Years, by the way. Be great if anyone wants to meet up and compare pencil lead

**edit: Rusty, you're in AK Town? Driving round Henderson in your Holden? Cruising the Bays in your Alfa? Buzzing Grey Lynn on your Vespa?**

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1