View Poll Results: Pick your favourite Halloween Beast!

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grumbleputty

2 33.33%
  • scorge

4 66.67%
  • fabianguiza

0 0%
  • Atropolith

0 0%
  • aburnier

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #372: Bony, Black and Orange Halloween Beast - VOTING!

COW #372: Bony, Black and Orange Halloween Beast - Voting!

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    -Must be mostly black and orange
    -Include some dangerous looking bones within it's anatomy
    -Make sure it keeps within the Halloween festivities![SIZE]
    Last edited by Rob Powell; November 7th, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Artist: Grumbleputty

Concept: The Autumnal Gubbsnatcher

As Autumn falls on Guffingall Moor
    the hapless Gubbs all twitch with fright
    for that is when, by Gubbish Lore
    the dread Gubbsnatcher haunts the night.

For unsuspecting Gubbs it prowls
    with twisted horns and bony claws,
    The autumn night is filled with howls
    as it gobbles Gubblings without pause.

So Gubblings, bolt your hovel doors
    and burn your helmet candles bright.
    Tread carefully across the moors
    and you may yet survive the night!

Name:  halloweenBeastFinal1.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  129.2 KB
    (not 100% certain I met the conditions of the Brief, but looking at the weekend ahead of me this is as far as I'm likely to get. It sure felt good to knock the cobwebs off my Wacom pen and get back to painting!)
    Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 550 Posts
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Black and Orange Nightmare

Lock your doors on Hallow's Eve, the nightmare is awake. Its orange skin and ebony flaps fluttering as it moves through the streets. Those who stray from the rules, and pay no heed to the warning will be its next victim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: fabianguiza

Concept: Dimetrodon Halloweenus

A Halloween much like today, but 290 million years ago....

Name:  dimetri.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  63.0 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fabianguiza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: Atropolith

Concept: Halloween Cobra

This creature likes to hang around pumpkins and skeleton decorations during halloween. It is often mistaken as an ornamental piece causing many accidents. It's bony spikes also scares off potential predators and prevents itself from being eaten easily.
    Name:  snek.png
Views: 2650
Size:  444.0 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropolith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: aburnier

Concept: Were-Baboon

When the moon is full, the zoo mysteriously closes early, and the primate enclosure is cordoned off from visitors with strict security. This year, the full moon coincides with Halloween, and a daring visitor who hides until after hours finds out why.

Attachment 2218766
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aburnier; November 7th, 2016 at 01:49 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts
    Closed! I'll have the poll and the new topic up shortly...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Woohoo! Critiques ahoy!

Voted for @Scorge because the design was the the most interesting, and the rendering really sold the concept, especially in around the face, which is pretty terrifying. I'm a stickler for anatomy, so if I had to make a critique, I would point out that the bones and musculature of the creature's forearms is confused, particularly where the forearms join the wrists and the hands/fingers themselves. I'm have a hard time explaining clearly what I mean, so if I have time later I'll do a quick draw-over. I like the silhouette of your creature a lot, and those barbs and skin flaps do a lot to enhance that. I'm not sure a lot of it makes sense, but then again, this is more of a nightmare incarnate than a practical creature. Awesome work (as always)!

@Grumbleputty Sick work man! I always try and infuse my creatures with personality and character, and you did that in a delightfully Halloween-appropriate way. I love everything from the pose to the posture to the expression. I also like that you weren't afraid to let the pencil media show through in the colored final. It lends it more charm. The only reason I didn't vote for your was for originality's sake (something I need to work on a ton as well). I would have loved to see more of the anatomy defined and explained through forms. Does the creature blink? How huge is its jaw (think about the bone structure of the skull) and what would it look like with its mouth open? As far as texturing is concerned, you could definitely be clearer about where fur ends and skin begins. It looks like the rolls of flab under its chin and parts of its belly are skin, but I'm not sure. Great work overall!

@Fabianguiza
    I like the mood you created with the background. Rendering came out nicely! I think the theming was your weakest point this round. Besides the coloration, it wasn't clear what made this creature Halloween-themed. Different patterns would have been cool. Maybe a set of markings on its sail forms an intimidating face? Right now it looks more like a re-skin of a real creature, and I'd encourage you to experiment a bit more and just have fun being wild and creative with it! Even if the design is based heavily on a real animal, what features can you exaggerate, push, add, subtract, or modify to make it stand out?

@Artropolith Good job on the rendering here! The bones jutting out of the snake are very convincing. Just make sure you nail the original sketch before jumping headfirst into detailing scales, etc. For example, the tail of your creature is pretty wonky. It doesn't taper in thickness properly, and the perspective is off. Since your design is heavily based on that of a cobra, I would look at a lot of image references while you sketch to make sure you've understood how the creature works and looks in real life. You clearly did this with the snake's mouth, which is spot-on! Just continue extrapolating that reference as you design the rest of the creature. Doing this will also help out your imaginative design skills! As I wrote to Fabianguiza, I would encourage you add more to your creature and ask yourself more questions about the creature as you design to help you differentiate it from existing creatures and concepts. I have a lot of work to do in this department too, and I still struggle all the time to make designs that are more original than derivative (as evidenced by this round) Nice work dude!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post: