Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

East Coast Workshop!

when is ca having a east coast workshop cause that would kick major ass if they would have one on the east coast. any word going around about it?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    No.

SF is the place to be.

M

Thanks
    Hey now, I'm sure SF is awesome, and I can't wait to go.

But the East Coast has great cities as well. Boston ( #1 baby ), New York, Miami!!! so many more.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    well hmmm.....at the moment we are a bit slow on signups. If this workshop in sf does not sell out and break even as expected we wont be doing any more of them. simple as that.

jason

Thanks
    I know I am doing my best to scrap cash, but am going for sure. It just might be later, and I'm sure its the same for others.

And I am a walking CAorg workshop advertisement, its all thats on my mind at the moment...well mostly.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    I've got some possible recruits, I know my friend Joel is still getting the $ together.
    "I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    well hmmm.....at the moment we are a bit slow on signups. If this workshop in sf does not sell out and break even as expected we wont be doing any more of them. simple as that.

jason

haha lol, great avatar.

anyway, I hope in a few years you will hold a workshop in stockholm

Thanks

jason
    i've never been to a CA workshop and would love to go.

unfortunately the price is out of my range. it's not over-the-top and for what you experience it's definetly a bargain. but for most 20 something students like me, who don't have a full-time professional job, 500 dollars is a big investment. to me the price tag suggests that the workshop is created for people already in the industry.

I know that the SF workshop is gonna be incredible. but i would take a scaled-down version even if it meant less artists. i like smaller venues for music artists, it's more intimate and my experience of it is more personal, maybe the same thing would work for the workshops.

Thanks
    considering most art students pay 100,000 and more to attend art school I do not believe that we are out of range. I was a dirt poor student and I still managed to get to the illustration academy one summer. I took out many loans and worked many jobs to get what I needed...including working the fishing docks of alaska.

As far as paying for what you get...and getting much more than you pay for....consider this. There are more demonstrations planned at this workshop by the pros than I got in TWO YEARS at Ringling. Throw in the Gnomon DVD's, 30 plus companies in attendance (including blizzard and id and flagship studios)....just get there. That is all I have to say. It will change your life.

It all comes down to how bad you want it. If you have six kids and a house payment then things may be a little different. But, if you are young, have no kids, and only your big dreams then there is no reason at all for you to miss this.

This collection of artists has NEVER come together. Ever. It will be the only time this collection of artists is together. I hope people can understand that. I would not miss it for the world.

jason
    Quote Originally Posted by saraesc
    i've never been to a CA workshop and would love to go.

unfortunately the price is out of my range. it's not over-the-top and for what you experience it's definetly a bargain. but for most 20 something students like me, who don't have a full-time professional job, 500 dollars is a big investment. to me the price tag suggests that the workshop is created for people already in the industry.

I know that the SF workshop is gonna be incredible. but i would take a scaled-down version even if it meant less artists. i like smaller venues for music artists, it's more intimate and my experience of it is more personal, maybe the same thing would work for the workshops.
    Last edited by Leia; October 24th, 2004 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    yeah well 500 dollars + 500 for airplanes ticket +300 in expenses at l;east. easy 1500 dollars dropped in sf. EAST COAST WORKSHOP. AND ITS ALL the way on the other side of the counrtry IF THERE WAS ONE ON THE EAST COAST I KNOW LIKE 20 people that would go. hands down. hands fuckin down. east coast my NIZZLES .HAHHAHAHA

Thanks
    Come on blue puppy, show some respect... this shit takes effort to put together. The people that are teaching it are the tops of what they do, their experience is worth YOUR travel, not the other way around. Jason is speaking the truth, 1,500 bucks ain't shit for what you would get from the experience. It's frustrating to see events like this that take a shitload of work to put together and kids come up with comments like that... you expect this shit to get delivered to you, and when it practically IS, you whine about it not being convenient enough.

If it means something to you, get a job, save your money, and fly out to SF to go to the workshop. If not, don't complain and show off the ignorant and selfish attitude you're sporting right now.

Thanks
    The odds of an east coast workshop happening are pretty much zero percent regardless. We will never have a workshop in Boston. I lived there for a year and know that city well. It does not offer enough to warrant everyone going there. We would simply do DC or NYC instead. At least the much more impressive museums in DC are free.

This workshop is centered around the film and games industries. That is why we chose Austin, and that is Why we chose San Fran.

Again, if this SF workshop is not supported by the community, there simply won't be anymore workshops.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Manley; October 25th, 2004 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks
    Don't forget Boston's people are rated as some of the rudest in the country.

Blizzard and Flagship devs!!!?!!? Thanks, you only keep reminding me how awesome this is, so I can lose sleep. I can't friggen wait. For the money scrappers out there...

I am 20, out of college, loans are creepin up on me, and I work very part time. I am going to make it happen, anyone can. Its worth the negative effects the cost and time has on other aspects of life. I don't want to do more school because I believe its very possible to learn more from great communities like this one. And these workshops make the money and time invested invaluable. I haven't been to one, and I can feel the vibe from the community already.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    will be great to meet u in person rkhon...you will get a lot from this workshop. I promise.

j

Thanks
    considering most art students pay 100,000 and more to attend art school I do not believe that we are out of range. I was a dirt poor student and I still managed to get to the illustration academy one summer. I took out many loans and worked many jobs to get what I needed...including working the fishing docks of alaska.

As far as paying for what you get...and getting much more than you pay for....consider this. There are more demonstrations planned at this workshop by the pros than I got in TWO YEARS at Ringling. Throw in the Gnomon DVD's, 30 plus companies in attendance (including blizzard and id and flagship studios)....just get there. That is all I have to say. It will change your life.

It all comes down to how bad you want it. If you have six kids and a house payment then things may be a little different. But, if you are young, have no kids, and only your big dreams then there is no reason at all for you to miss this.

This collection of artists has NEVER come together. Ever. It will be the only time this collection of artists is together. I hope people can understand that. I would not miss it for the world.

jason
    Are you saying we should take out loans to fly to SF for 3 days? is that not a BIT drastic. I so want to go but getting the $ for the tuition and then getting the $ for flight over (all the way from south FL) is going to be supper hard to get together.
    Member of Team Insect Battle X-Tream !
    <-Drop-Shadow Infiltrator->

The Waffle house sketch book.

Room 301!

Thanks
    Blizzard? wow...

this looks to be bigger than SDCC

Thanks
    Come down to Tropical Miami Florida! Its Warm, lovely and full of hot women from around the world. Now wouldn’t it be nice to get away from you cold bleak winters and come down here? I think it would!
    See just some of the wonderfull parts of Miami here!

Its not like im biased or any thing….. not like if you held one down here I can just take a half an Hr and drive down to Miami and back….
    Member of Team Insect Battle X-Tream !
    <-Drop-Shadow Infiltrator->

The Waffle house sketch book.

Room 301!

Thanks
    Well of course everyone would like to roll out of bed right into the workshop but it can't always be that convenient. I am on the east coast myself and am a poor starving artist but I am going to make it to this workshop! I went to Austin and wouldnt trade that experience for the world. You get to actually watch the process of some of the amazing artists on this site, you get to meet and party with other like minded artists..... just an amazing experience all around. I'm still paying off my Austin trip but that's not gonna stop me from heading to SF! I think these guys did a great job of trying to make it fair for everyone..... that's why there was a poll for locations. Unfortunately SF is a super expensive city, but that's where most people wanted to go....... these guys are still doing whatever they can to lessen the costs for all of us! I for one, couldnt ask for more...

Thanks
    It's called sacrifice people...

How bad do you want to be in this industry????
    If going to this workshop means, not going to the movies, not hanging with your firends, and toking less marijuanna....so be it...

I would love for a workshop to be in NYC...but i know Jason and the crew are busting their asses...so i'm gonna do what i can to support...

The last workshop i sold my car for 900, just after i spent 3200$(not including how much i spent for the car) on it...and it was worth every single penny...

And if we wanna talk about loans and debts i'm currently in the hole for 22,000$ and that was for ONE year of school...

If you wanna learn some shit...from the best...and if you wanna network so you could have your foot in the industry door...GO TO SAN FRANCISCO....

if this workshop doesn't do well THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER ONE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH PLEADING AND BEGGING YOU DO!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafflehouseninja
    Are you saying we should take out loans to fly to SF for 3 days? is that not a BIT drastic. I so want to go but getting the $ for the tuition and then getting the $ for flight over (all the way from south FL) is going to be supper hard to get together.

I would have...Matter of fact, the last workshop...I gave all my paying gigs to other artists and worked solely on it for zero pay for THREE MONTHS just to make sure it happened. Insane Visions gave up about five thousand of his paying work while setting up this workshop in order to build the website for us. He volunteered. We did this because the workshops are just that important to us.

If you can not see the value of watching Assael paint life size figures alongside Hussar, Justin Sweet doing demos righ next to Jon Foster, Puddnhead and El Coro battling in a sketchbook session, meeting pros from dozens of companies, and artist friends from around the world, then this workshop is not for you.

For me....and others who appreciate painting and the idea of working in film or games....even doing drastic things is worth it.

I paid a hundred thousand dollars to go to art school. I paid 30 plus expenses and housing during my time at Ringling. The main reason I went to Ringling was for the professional connections and for the demonstrations. We will have more companies there in SF, and more demonstrations over that short time than I recieved in art school for ten times the money. I have just as many friends from my short days at the workshops as I do from the long days of art school too.

Ask Rich (insane visions) if it was worth it to go....He was discovered there in a sense and picked up a great paying job and got to choose between two job offers from solid companies. The workshop is what you make of it. Rich made it the best he could. will you?

Jason

PS...This kind of thing has never happened before. Ever. We hope to see you there...even if we have to take drastic measures to be sure we get there.
    Last edited by Jason Manley; October 25th, 2004 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    It will change your life.
    True.
    Jaku

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cotron

If it means something to you, get a job, save your money, and fly out to SF to go to the workshop. If not, don't complain and show off the ignorant and selfish attitude you're sporting right now.
    im sorry, but 1500 dollars is a lot to someone who barely makes over minimum wage. also i dont have parents that help for shit, so before you tell me what the fuck i should do have a reality check. look at the economy, if you HAVE a job your lucky. we dont all have mommy and daddy's who drop cash for us on the flip of a hat when were in need. i got bills man, and lots of em.
    ps. dont get me wrong i think ca has kick ass workshops and i would love to go but some people need to know their place and shouldnt be arrogant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyaN
    The last workshop i sold my car for 900, just after i spent 3200$(not including how much i spent for the car) on it...and it was worth every single penny...
    So you were the person that Jason referred to as the "person who sold his car to get here" in that one video!

Thanks
    Jason-I really hope you get enough sign ups to keep this going. I went to the last one and it was definetely worth the money. I posted a thread back then compared the per day of the workshop to my college per day. I'm just afraid that there are a lot of people like me who went to that first workshop and this second one is too soon after for us to financially go. I really think that could be the case because I didn't meet anybody there the whole time who wouldn't throw down 600 more dollars for 4 more days.

Thanks
    Hey buddy, I just looked for 2 seconds on orbitz, and you can get flights from boston to the workshop for under 350. add on hotels (160), and a little food, and the tuition (550), and you're looking at just over 1k, somewhere around 1100.

Congrats, I just saved you 400 bucks.

I don't know what your minimum wage is, but you've got all next year to pay it off. hundred bucks a month?

You've been told. If you need proof, go dig up the old threads from after Austin. This event will change your life. If you need more proof from 100 people who are all going AGAIN...well...then you're out of luck.

If you're serious about making art your career, the connections you will make at a workshop like this are priceless...besides making friends with great artists who will help you grow.

It's an educational investment, not a vacation.

Be there or be square.

oh, and the east coast sucks. and yes, I lived there for 4 years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    So you were the person that Jason referred to as the "person who sold his car to get here" in that one video!
    Yeps...

and if i had another car, i would sell it again...lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    im sorry, but 1500 dollars is a lot to someone who barely makes over minimum wage. also i dont have parents that help for shit, so before you tell me what the fuck i should do have a reality check. look at the economy, if you HAVE a job your lucky. we dont all have mommy and daddy's who drop cash for us on the flip of a hat when were in need. i got bills man, and lots of em.
    ps. dont get me wrong i think ca has kick ass workshops and i would love to go but some people need to know their place and shouldnt be arrogant.
    this is jason...I am on leias machine....

i made it thru six years of school with out a mommy and daddy. I lost my parents at a young age. I know all about working to go to school. You dont have to keep a minimum wage job...i started at subway and taco johns and switched to working for AT&T..."AT&T this is jason how may i help u?"

I also spent 7k on a four week art program...all loans...want to know what I got out of it? 32k in scholarships for art center because I was prepared when it came time to finally apply.

I put in 100 hour weeks working the salmon docks in alaska too...loading fish...shoveling ice...gutting fish....running the de-header (think chomp chomp guillotine with 10000 lbs of fish per hour passing thru my hands.) when i got back i paid for a semester of school and got a car to get me there. I did it all by myself...but I am not upset that I did. Matter of fact, most those who do really well in art school do so on their own.

so as far as knowing places...i know mine...i come from nothing at all and have made it this far...i have a long way to go..we all do...but do not doubt for a moment that if you put your mind to it that you could not get to the workshop. you can. you just need to think on how to get it done. doing anything worthwhile in life is like that. it took months of thinking to figure out how to make conceptart.org happen...more months to figure out how to make the workshop happen. If I had your attitude I would not have either...because no one is giving it to me...because I grew up poor...because because because. ya follow?

as far as the other comment by joe above....yes this workshop was close to the last...we had to schedule based on our working committments. we will not be doing another workshop in 2005 here in the states. So rest assured..there is plenty of time for the one in 2006 as well...should we get enuff signups to cover it all.

The workshops are extremely affordable....the instructors are all volunteer in order to help keep costs down. however, they are very expensive to put on with all the rentals and equipment and software stuff. we are doing our best just to be able to make these things happen. if there is money left over we put it toward the site and community...the new site design and such is an example of that.
    Last edited by Leia; October 25th, 2004 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    hey jason,

i do think alot of people will turn up, i just think most of us are still saving up to pay the tuition. on irc there are loads that are going but havent yet booked the tuition.
    i just booked my flights, which emptyed my pockets, so im now gonna look for another evening job to save up for the tuition and hotels food etc.
    im also thinking of have the tuition as an early christmas present if i cant get the money fast enough, or loan the money and pay it back when i can, whatever, i AM going ^-^

so i think (and hope ^-^) that the tuition places will start being booked more and more closer together as the holidays come up... i hope ^-^

anyway, cant wait for this, to meet you all and meet new people i havent met yet,

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    That's hardcore, cartoonfox. Shit, I might just yet not give up on going.

Have for the inspiration .
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    hehe awesome.... but i allready had 7, is it ok to have another? this hour? ^-^

anyway, yeah man go for it,

im also looking for some webdesign jobs to get me some extra cash, so if anyone here needs a website made for them, im the man to call ^-^

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast