Art: A Wizard's Wrath
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A Wizard's Wrath

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Wizard's Wrath

Howdy!

I posted this over in my sketch thread, but since it isnt really a sketch I thought I'd plop it down over here if anyone is interested.

Just a pretty quick concept piece I did for fun in PS CS. I'm experimenting in environment design and probably will do a bunch more along these lines in the next month or so. Any C & C always welcome!

Now that I look at it, I probably should have silhouetted the city a little more to keep better with the light source.

A Wizard's Wrath~~~

Thanks!~~~JadeDragon

Last edited by JadeDragon; October 25th, 2004 at 01:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did, you paint everything on here or use photos?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Holy SH*T Dude this is wicked man i want this like on 2 by 3ft size canvas framed in balck with gold details on the frame this is f**k'in awsome thumbs up man

Everybody has the right to idiocy, but some people abuse the privilege...

JEZZARTS Guest
    Hey JadeDragon, ok from what I can see you've made a collage of photos then airbushed some shading and painted a wizzard etc. It all looks pretty cool but there's a few things that bug me. The rock that the wizzard is standing on looks very close and looks more like a broken log. I would get rid of the bush to the left and get rid of the shadow on the rock making it look a bit futher away. Also the water fall looks strange coming from nowhere like that. The city looks as though it's going to slide off the mountain as the perspective is all wrong. The giant statue or man looks far too close to the mountain unless he is either ment to be half buried in it or the mountain has a sharp cliff type drop off on the other side which judging by the near by hills, doesnt seem to fit. I would also give the wizzards glow a brighter centre and maybe have a few off screen streaks. Then, for me... this would rock. Hope this helps, cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops!

I probably should have explained the medium on this piece. It's a combination of photo manipulation and painting in photoshop. It's meant as a quick way to convey a scene to a director and not really as a finished piece on it's own, but I find it fun to kinda treat it that way. I've seen a lot of other traditional artists do pieces like this for movies and concept design, altho with much better results than my quick efforts here.

I have been using some of this technique at work so I thought I'd play with it for fun. There is a lot of painting using the clone tool and gradients/curves. The challenge comes in manipulating all the various assets and making them look like they exist together in one world.

phlem117~ Hope that explanation clears it up fer ya!

cycrincy~ Thank you so much! Im glad ya liked it. This is my first real attempt to do any of this sort of thing on my home comp. Mostly I work in traditional pen and ink, just recently started to play with photoshop stuff.

JEZZARTS~ Thanks for such a great bunch of critiques! You have a good eye, sir. Yeah, I should have spent a lot more time tweaking this image, but I just wanted to see how far I could get in one night (About 9 hours give or take). Good call on the bad perspective, I should have taken more care in manipulating the bottom edge of the city wall especially.

The giant statue is supposed to be half buried, the idea being that they built the city alongside it as they excavated the statue from the mountain. I should have emphasized the ropes and rigging on the statue more to convey the idea that the city folks were working on it...I originally had a scaffolding on half the torso, but wanted sleep so I left it off. I originally had some lightning-like streaks coming off the wizard glow too like ya suggested, but they just seemed to distract the eye away from the focus and off the page.

Thanks again for all the great crits. I'll definitely keep those pointers in mind for the next one. BTW, I really liked your website, Jezz, some really great stuff going on there!

Cheers!~~~JadeDragon

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.