Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Ringling College of Art and Design 2017 Hopefuls

Hello~
    I was hoping someone would have started up the thread by now, but… Well, I can’t possibly wait another second, so I decided to start up the thread ^^

Here is last year’s thread
    And the school’s website

I was an accepted computer animation hopeful back in 2014. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend ㅠㅠ so here I am once again as a CA hopeful for the 2017-18 year!

So, yeah! Any fellow hopefuls out there? :^ )

Oh, and I recently noticed Ringling started an early action deadline for CA majors, November 1. Any CA hopefuls planning to apply then?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello, fellow hopeful here :^D

I'm planning on applying for the normal deadline as of now, mainly because I 'm still working on my portfolio. I will most likely finish before the early deadline but I think I need more time to polish it. But will applying early increase your chances of getting in?

Also, if anyone is already finished with their portfolio, please do share

Thanks
    @miazhang: Hello my fellow CA hopeful ^^

I honestly have no idea. I just noticed they added the new deadline this year? As for me, I'm still unsure when I'm going to apply, but I want to try and get things done before the early deadline so I don't slack off like last time ah haha;;;

And yes please! I would love to see yall's portfolio~ Even if it isn't completed feel free to share for critiques if yall want to

Thanks
    Hey guys!

There isn’t much activity on the thread, but I see there are people viewing it. So I wanted to post the National Portfolio Day schedule up since the first one will be held on the 24th in Denver, Colorado. I highly suggest to attend since Ringling will be there! http://www.portfolioday.net/2016-17-schedule

For those who don't know what National Portfolio Day is: http://www.portfolioday.net/portfoli...folio-day-faqs

Other than the fact that Ringling will be attending, this is a good chance to get your portfolio reviewed by a representative from the school and a chance to talk to them face to face

Thanks
    Hello! I'm also a fellow Ringling hopeful>__<)/ I was so happy when I found out there was a thread, nice to meet you guys!

Thanks
    Welcome yazmin! ^^ It's a pleasure to meet you too~ What major will you be applying for?

Thanks
    Thank you so much! I'm so happy we can all share our journey here. I am applying for Computer Animation, I'm actually super nervous though, since I know Ringling is super hard to get into. But I'm working hard on my portfolio and staying determined! Earlier, I planned to apply in November but I think I'll need more time to work on my portfolio, Im trying to have it done by early or mid December since space is limited. We definitely should keep this thread active to help each other out with any questions or with portfolios, it's going to be great:3What major are you applying for?

Thanks
    I’m a fellow CA hopeful too ^^
    Yeah, it’s been really slow here compared to previous threads (wonder where everyone is;;; ), so it’s really nice having another hopeful (yay for CA buddy!!!) to go through this exciting yet terrifying journey (again;;; boy, it sure doesn’t get easier second time around) And same here, I was planning to go for Nov, but I’ve decided to wait till I finish my life draw class to get pieces in for transfer.
    Well, let’s do our best on our portfolios and keeping this thread alive! ┌( ˵ ⊘ ‿ ⊘ ˵ )ᕤ

Thanks
    Hello @yazmin

I currently have 16 pieces in my portfolio, but I'm on the fence about some of them. If possible, I'd like to hear your critiques and what you guys think I should add!! And also if you don't mind, I'd love to see ur works as well

ps. I will be at San Diego for the National Portfolio Day, will anyone be there as well?
    Last edited by MiaZhang; September 30th, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    WOW!!! You’ve got an amazing portfolio going, Mia! I love your oil paintings (●♡∀♡)

I suggest to just stick to observational/life drawings. From what I’ve read/seen Ringling loves those, but a couple imaginative drawings won't hurt either. However, I would suggest to take out the space filler (not the bird one, that one is fine imo) and the art club poster. I personally think they take away from your portfolio as a whole. It’s best to only put in your best work, so don’t put in pieces just to fill space for the sake of having more pieces. If you’re not a transfer student I would stick to just 10 pieces. Quality over quantity. If you want, you could replace those pieces with environmental studies or some animal gestures, maybe even a self-portrait. Honestly, if you just stick to the life drawings you’ve got so far you'll do fine.

I’ll be attending the one in Houston. Hopefully I'll see someone there? (◍•ᴗ•◍)
    Last edited by hanban; December 20th, 2016 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    @hanban thank u so much
    I've been trying to draw more observational drawings but I haven't been satisfied with them, and I've been pretty bummed out recently. ; o ; (+school stress and college apps gahhhh)

Your portfolio shows great observation skills!! The things I think you should consider is composition. I notice that some of your drawing pieces have a lot of white in the background, and that tends to make it seem unfinished. (I got this from a RISD portfolio critique video, that's what they think at least). I like the drawing with the view from inside the car, because it has interesting composition and it fills the whole page. Another thing is the color value. And this is just my opinion but I feel like there are perhaps too much dark values, and they create a really strong contrast with the lighter values, and it doesn't seem gradual.

Thanks
    @MiaZhang
    Your portfolio is amazing!! You have great use of color especially in your first piece and your still life's. Your anatomy in your hands and figure drawings is awesome too:3 I agree with @hanban, take out the art club piece. I think it's good because it shows that you're involved in school, but like hanban said, quality over quantity. I think your digital piece is really interesting too, maybe you could develop the story a bit more, like add character designs and maybe storyboards, it would add so much depth to it! ^ - ^ Your portfolio really is amazing though, you have great use of color(≧∇≦)I'll be in the Albequerque portfolio review, although it's not in October, it's in December, so I'm quite scared I won't have enough time to change my portfolio by then.

@hanban
    Your portfolio has a lot of observational drawings which is great! I really love the drawing inside the car, it shows really good use of value. I agree with @MiaZhang, your darks and lights are very contrasted in some of your pieces. I recommend watching drawingtutorialsonline on YouTube, he's a teacher in SVA. I remember I saw a video about the 3 values in his sketches. Basically he did a super rough color blocking of his drawing, where in the beginning he only uses 3 values, a light tone, midtone, and a super dark tone(almost black).
    Also maybe try and do more quick gestures in your portfolio that show you have a good sense of movement. Also maybe add in some animals and environment drawings that would add a lot of variety. Your portfolio is great^ - ^ hahha im currently super nervous because I don't have as many figure drawings(T_T).

Here are some of the pieces I currently have. Can you guys help me on choosing the ones that I should take out, I'm debating on many of them but I don't know which I should take out:/

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5a58c9p13...46MSDsfha?dl=0
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    @yazmin thank you so much
    I like how many of your pieces show story, I think that's really nice !! I don't think you'd need to take anything out, rather I think you should continue working on the pieces, especially the sketches, I feel like there are more spaces to be filled. Again, to me when there's too much white space it either makes me think its not finished or there is a lack of thought in composition. Another thing that bothers me is the mural(?), not the drawing itself, but because of the angle the picture was taken. Because the angle is skewed I can't interpret the picture well, so maybe that's something to consider.

Thanks
    @MiaZhang thank you!! I'll definitely work on it:3
    hey do you guys know if we apply in November and we aren't accepted, can we reapply in January? I'm thinking about applying in November, but I'm a bit nervous that if I don't get accepted I won be able to re apply

Thanks
    Whew, it’s been a busy couple of days;;; I’ll finally have time to buckle in and really start on my portfolio! And thank you both for the critiques ^^ I will defiantly keep those points in mind!

@yazmin your portfolio is coming along nicely! Really loving those sketches! I agree with @miazhang concerning the mural. If you get the chance, definitely retake the image from the front, if not I would take it out. Also I agree that the spaces in one of your sketches needs to be filled in more or replace/taken out. And don’t worry about not having a lot of figure drawings. When I was at NPD, the Ringling rep, Kieran Collen, told me the school LOVES to see sketches from life (i.e. café sketches, people watching, etc.), so do many of those to replace the figures. About the early decision, I would ask the school about it for a direct answer, but from the previous thread, it seems if you’re not accepted in Nov you’ll be deferred for Jan. I also asked the rep if there were any benefits for applying early, he said there wasn’t other than being notified early of your acceptance.

Anyways, hope yall are doing well with school and your portfolios! 4 months till the deadline!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast