Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Ranarh's Sketchbook, Vol. 2

I take my sketchbook thread as encouragement to sketch and explore ideas and techniques. My regular sketching surface is a bound A5 sketchbook, 144 pages, 100g/m². Medium used changes often; my favourites include charcoal, gouache, watercolour pencils, and graphite blocks.

My old sketchbook thread, running until 2nd September, 2016, can be found here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?&t=278955

Attachment 2209062
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ranarh; March 21st, 2017 at 02:03 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sketches and study for a three-part series. The three plants are poppies, corn-flowers, and barley; I grew up around such fields, and always loved the view of red and blue dots of short-lived beauty among the laborious cereals.
    I had made photos while working but they weren't good enough, so no progress shots.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Mohn.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  97.9 KB

The finals. 28Χ38cm on paper, inks, pencils, and acrylics.

Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Kornfeld.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  204.8 KB

Thanks

"Dragon Age:Inquisition" Inspired Tarot Cards

We set out for a session of the pen&paper RPG of Dragon Age, and I felt the need for tarot cards for the player characters, like those for the companions in Inquisition. It came in handy that those are small, and I could try a technique I wanted - painting over printed sketches before finishing digitally.

I made pencil sketches in original size at 7Χ12cm in my sketchbook, cleaned them up and printed them on Canson 1557 180g/m² paper, broke out my worst watercolours for gritty effects and gave them some washes (gouache and watercolour pencils were also involved), scanned them back in and finished them digitally.
    It then turned out that despite using a printing template, it was quite difficult to align the fronts and backs in the print shop, but it was finally managed more or less, and laminated for endurance.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_PRES_DAI_Tarot_Mage_Walkthrough.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  240.3 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_PRES_DAI_Tarot_Warrior.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  259.8 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_PRES_DAI_Tarot_Rogue2.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  236.8 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_PRES_DAI_Tarot_Rogue1.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  234.5 KB

Regrets: I would have liked them to be more art nouveau-ish, and, despite my massive use of digital masks, I'm note sure that the decoratively textured but clean look was achieved well enough (I always tend to the messy painterly), there are some composition errors; and it was fairly annoying that printing was so difficult. They had to be done between jobs, and had I spent more time, they may have become better; so I will chuck any remaining dislike to lack of time.

The finals:
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_JSL-ART.DE_Tarotkarte_Rogue2_Final.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  84.2 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_JSL-ART.DE_Tarotkarte_Rogue1_Final.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  86.4 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_JSL-ART.DE_Tarotkarte_Mage_Final.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  106.5 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_JSL-ART.DE_Tarotkarte_Warrior_Final.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  97.3 KBName:  _JSL-ART.DE_JSL-ART.DE_Tarotkarte_Rückeseite_Final.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  117.5 KB

Thanks
    A piece painted for the author of a science-fantasy novel series. The main character has an armour of single pieces floating above him and held onto his body via his pyro-telekinetic power. The trick was to show it's not actually strapped on.

I used mainly Painter 16's Artists Oils brushes for this one - and of course those fantastically fun Particle Brushes, how could I resist.
    Sketch from found reference, extensive work on the colour scheme following Gurney's explanations about gamut mapping from Colour & Light. Knowing the perceived neutral colour was invaluable.

Name:  PatArmour_Gamut_Neutral.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  17.7 KBName:  PatArmour_MixerPad.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  33.6 KB
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_PatArmour1_Sketch.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  38.0 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_PatArmour2_ColourSketch.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  37.5 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_PatArmour3.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  37.2 KB

The final.

Name:  JSL-ART.DE__Rhoenoak_PatArmour_Final.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  118.2 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranarh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Landscape for my world Genius Loci.
    Please support Genius Loci on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/jenniferlange

Name:  60 JSL_Genius_Loci_Vrebin.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  86.8 KB

Thanks
    Landscapes, contι. The ones with the folds are effectively A4, the rest A5. Simple sketches trying to find something that might be worth exploring.

Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Landscapes001.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  160.4 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  110.7 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Landscapes1.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  128.4 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Landscapes002.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  118.1 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Landscapes004.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  136.9 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Landscapes003.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  125.0 KB

Thanks
    great work here, i liked how you add mood on fifth picture of #7
    for your figure drawings i think you can use more colors, especially on skin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brunoferrera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pencil and ink pen. Each is A5; I was trying to completely overload the designs, and I think that was succesful

Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Costumes.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  207.5 KB

Thanks
    Genius Loci is my own fantasy world. This character is member of an order bent on destroying the old in favour of the new. The difficulty was to make her look happy - because the order also is very optimistic, not fanatic - and still make her look somewhat unhinged. And to make embers look good without resorting to good ol' Linear Dodge.

I started a charcoal sketch in my sketchbook late in the evening. I then thought it might look good to add some oil pastels - I was wrong. But it still served as a colour note.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Koehler_Skizze.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  180.1 KB
    I used textures from chaotic brush strokes and splattered paint in the background, and painted mainly with Painter's Artist's Oils brushes.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Koehler_WIP1.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  51.4 KB
    The character is supposed to have a face with Native American influences, which I found hard in profile, and since I was working without references in this piece, there was a bit of trial and error.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Koehler_WIP2.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  44.9 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Koehler_WIP3.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  47.7 KB
    The most difficult points I found was the back of the head - I wanted it obscured, but making it too dark gave it too much weight, too bright made the silhouette look weird. Also, firelight is very red, which made it hard to pick colours.
    Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Koehler_WIP4.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  53.7 KB

The final.
    Find out more about Genius Loci on my blog Starmaker's Gaze: http://starmakersgaze.blogspot.de
    Name:  JSL_Genius_Loci_Koehler.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  119.8 KB

Thanks
    A quick overdraw of an older costume concept for my world Genius Loci. The concept is from... 2012... and I was pretty influenced by something Palpatine wore in the Star Wars prequels. I spent another hour on it, mainly updating the face to the Native American influence I now use for the world's humans. Most of the metal effect was done by using Painter 16's Blunt Tip Marker with the method changed to Cover instead of Buildup.

Name:  JSL-ART.DE__Genius_Loci_RotschwarzesKostuem_redrawn.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  108.9 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE__Genius_Loci_RotschwarzesKostuem_redrawn_closeup.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  54.8 KB

Thanks
    A creature concept for my world Genius Loci. I used running greyhounds as reference for the movement, the creature itself is influenced by binturongs, bears, and anteaters.
    Find out more about Genius Loci on my blog Starmaker's Gaze: http://starmakersgaze.blogspot.de

Name:  JSL-ART.DE_Burrmo.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  35.3 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Burrmo_004.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  114.8 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Burrmo_005.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  115.0 KBName:  JSL-ART.DE_Burrmo_006.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  117.8 KB

The final concept.
    Name:  62 JSL_Genius_Loci_Burrmo.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  174.2 KB

Thanks
    Reworked piece for my world Genius Loci. This illustrates the surreal Area, and some of it changed while i worked on it. For example, the sky is always dark. Also, the perspective and composition were bad. I aimed for a painterly, loose look. I enlarged the canvas to one side, put the tree into perspective, overlaid paint textures to get some nice colour variations, and diversified the flora slightly.

Name:  JSL_Genius_Loci_Augenbaum_neu.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  134.2 KB

The previous version from 2013.
    Name:  JSL_Genius_Loci_Augenbaum.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  65.7 KB

Thanks
    Another older piece for my world Genius Loci. I love the unsettling effect of the four eyes, even if it's not always easy to calculate the bone structure. The old version wasn't half bad this time (I did use reference then) but I like the new one better, especially the headdress is much better now. Most work was done in Painter 16 to get some painterly brushtrokes.

Name:  JSL_Genius_Loci_Beja_Kopftuch_Porträt.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  47.9 KB

The previous version.
    Name:  JSL_Genius_Loci_Beja_Kopftuch_Portraet_alt.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  30.7 KB

Thanks
    I didn't want to flood this thread with all my doodles and scribbles, but it seems a shame to not show any of them, so I thought I'll compile all my (presentable) sketches into one, per month.
    In October, my favourite media was contι and charcoal. You can see I usually use the double-page spread of my A4 sketchbook, and also usually, I draw when I'm out, waiting or not doing anything too engaging.

Name:  October2016Sketches.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  197.9 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast