Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Sophie attempts to draw!

Hello everyone! Here are a couple things from the last couple months. I知 hoping starting a sketchbook here will help me start drawing more again I知 going to uni in September to do Concept Art so even though I can稚 draw a ton now I will be able to soon. C&C obviously welcome. I値l try and update at least weekly.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello a quick update, haven't been as productive as planned! Any crits welcomed as always! I'm struggling quite a bit with the last one.

Name:  rANDOM 1.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  50.7 KB
    Attachment 2210670
    Name:  study 2.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  Study 1.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  rANDOM 3.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  34.6 KB

Thanks
    Hey fellow course mate!

Starting a sketchbook here was the best thing I did for improving my skills and I'm sure it will be a great help to you too.

As I've pointed out before your face structure and renderings are really good. (I had not seen that female side view portrait, it's beautiful.) I can definitely see that perspective is something that you struggle a little with, I think practicing more simple boxes like you have on your first upload could already help quite a bit, and we'll have to arrange something with the people on our course to do a mandatory freelance study lab session. I can't wait to see you grow and improve and do the same alongside you. It's going to be a hard 3 years of work, but I'm sure that if we continue working with the right mindset we'll come out the other end as better concept artist than we could have imagined!

See you tomorrow

Thanks
    Hey, Dennis! Thank you I promise to post more.

Long time no post.
    Name:  robots.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  study 4.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  63.3 KB
    Name:  iterations final.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  173.4 KB
    Name:  Human iteration final.jpg
Size:  179.0 KB
    Name:  Houses.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  97.0 KB
    Name:  eNVIRO final.jpg
Size:  166.2 KB
    Name:  Enviro 4.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  146.5 KB
    Name:  enviro 3.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  176.6 KB
    Name:  Character final.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  70.1 KB

Thanks
    Nice character designs! I think your colouring could use more life, seeing as your paintings are a little dull and monochromatic in shading. I'd recommend looking up colour theory and keep in mind how lighting and the environment affects your colours.

There's a lot of information to go over in colour theory, so just check out videos, blogs, and similar on that. I'd picked out a few resources you can check out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1FK8n7WgY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQllLy_X4I
    http://drawing-tutorials.deviantart....ough-345468329
    http://helpfulharrie.tumblr.com/tagged/colour%20theory

Also, zephy0 on DeviantART has amazing colour choices! Scroll through their gallery if you need some inspiration
    http://zephy0.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
    My sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...itique-needed)
    I really need HARSH critique!

Thanks
    domenix - Thank you so much for taking the time to post those links! I'll check them out I've struggled with colour for quite a while.

Just a few studies and an attempt to apply.
    Name:  study 8.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  study 6.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  study 5.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  57.8 KB
    Name:  rANDOM 8.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  50.7 KB

Thanks
    Update, update, update! We want to see an update. I know you've got work to show so show it Faces are still incredible, just be careful not to only do facial studies in your free time. You're already really good at those so you might want to brush up on a skill such as environments which you're not as comfortable with yet. Although the perspective piece in your ICA is really well done and looks really accurate. Looking forward to see all the work you do for these modules

Thanks
    Thanks again, Dennis. Look! Im updating haha
    Hey, guys. I hope the pictures aren't too big. I'm probably doing it wrong as I feel it takes so long to get the pictures resized. Anyway, these are a few of the things that I have done lately. Hopefully the next update will be a bit more interesting haha

Name:  Witch final.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  110.9 KBName:  Rich lady.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  102.1 KBName:  rANDOM 3.jpg
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Key moment 1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  80.2 KBName:  Hunter sketches.jpg
Size:  89.9 KBName:  Hunter final idea.jpg
Size:  146.4 KBName:  helper final outfit.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  74.2 KBName:  Gun final.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  80.9 KBName:  Gun designs ideas.jpg
Size:  77.4 KBName:  CharacterSketches_S6123162.jpg
Size:  176.3 KB

Thanks
    That last orc page is relaly nice, the faces really stand out because as you know you're really good at them. Really liking the environment with the lighting too. For the weapons I'd advice you to use more reference, from real guns and just copy some stuff a gun has onto your design. For instance how the aim thing at the top is attached to the main thing and smaller details. Glad you updated again! For resizing I save my psd that I am working in as a jpg, then open that jpg in new window and go to image >resize> and about 1000px. Shouldnt take very long. Hope you keep updating

Thanks
    Thanks again, Dennis. I'll definitely try and look at more gun designs. Hopefully the resizing has worked.

Just an update on my key moment for uni. Any feedback is welcome.
    Name:  Key moment 1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  359.3 KB

Thanks
    hello I did a quick overpaint for you
    I think there is too much open space with nothing too look at so I cropped it a bit, then I moved the lady orc a bit more to the orc in bed.
    I used image>adjustments > levels to increase the contrast and adjustments > color balance
    I hope it helps , you can ask if you have questions

Thanks
    None of those guns appear to have triggers? How will we eliminate the orc menace without means of firing on them? I know they've got the little areas where the trigger should go, but I don't see the mr. Squeezy himself.

Thanks
    ElisaClaes - Thank you so much, I've adjusted the piece now. There was definitely too much dead space and playing with the levels have made so much difference
    Adams - Haha thanks, missed out the most important thing. As you can tell I'm winging it a bit with these designs. I'll try and put more hours in.

Okay, as mentioned here is the hopefully improved version of the piece I posted above.
    Name:  keymoment 1 second.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  311.0 KB

Thanks
    Hi, Sophie--
    As far as I can see, you're making progress. Your robots are cute, so there's no problem in your creative circuits! :-)
    The problem I DO see is an overall "tightness", the kind that you first feel in your shoulder or back (if you feel it at all) and instantly transfers to your brain and your fingers, and then affects your drawing and rendering.
    If you said what "university" you were attending, I appologize for missing that post. What your teachers have not done is help you improve your "Hand-eye Coordination," which is key to drawing. You can only get it with "practice," which means it don't come automatically; you'll ruin a thousand drawings--and probably more.
    The most imporant thing to do is more drawings! Don't try to finish every one--if it's going poorly, say to yourself, "OK, I can do better than that," and keep working. If you think you can do that better, then you probably can. Maybe not tomorrow or even next week, but your work shows promise. You just need to loosen up, make the connections between your brain and your wrist work smoothly together. Relax. Drawing can be fun!

Thanks
    I think the last piece turned out really well it's mainly perspective you need to now look at for your next designs. I did a quick overpaint to show that some of the perspective lines are going a bit all over the place. But since we're covering it now I think if you just use 2 set points as vanishing points than you'll be good for you next piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast