Thanks

Sophie attempts to draw!

Hello everyone! Here are a couple things from the last couple months. I知 hoping starting a sketchbook here will help me start drawing more again I知 going to uni in September to do Concept Art so even though I can稚 draw a ton now I will be able to soon. C&C obviously welcome. I値l try and update at least weekly.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello a quick update, haven't been as productive as planned! Any crits welcomed as always! I'm struggling quite a bit with the last one.

Name:  rANDOM 1.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  50.7 KB
    Attachment 2210670
    Name:  study 2.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  Study 1.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  rANDOM 3.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  34.6 KB

Thanks
    Hey fellow course mate!

Starting a sketchbook here was the best thing I did for improving my skills and I'm sure it will be a great help to you too.

As I've pointed out before your face structure and renderings are really good. (I had not seen that female side view portrait, it's beautiful.) I can definitely see that perspective is something that you struggle a little with, I think practicing more simple boxes like you have on your first upload could already help quite a bit, and we'll have to arrange something with the people on our course to do a mandatory freelance study lab session. I can't wait to see you grow and improve and do the same alongside you. It's going to be a hard 3 years of work, but I'm sure that if we continue working with the right mindset we'll come out the other end as better concept artist than we could have imagined!

See you tomorrow
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    Hey, Dennis! Thank you I promise to post more.

Long time no post.
    Name:  robots.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  study 4.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  63.3 KB
    Name:  iterations final.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  173.4 KB
    Name:  Human iteration final.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  179.0 KB
    Name:  Houses.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  97.0 KB
    Name:  eNVIRO final.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  166.2 KB
    Name:  Enviro 4.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  146.5 KB
    Name:  enviro 3.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  176.6 KB
    Name:  Character final.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  70.1 KB

Thanks
    Nice character designs! I think your colouring could use more life, seeing as your paintings are a little dull and monochromatic in shading. I'd recommend looking up colour theory and keep in mind how lighting and the environment affects your colours.

There's a lot of information to go over in colour theory, so just check out videos, blogs, and similar on that. I'd picked out a few resources you can check out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1FK8n7WgY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQllLy_X4I
    http://drawing-tutorials.deviantart....ough-345468329
    http://helpfulharrie.tumblr.com/tagged/colour%20theory

Also, zephy0 on DeviantART has amazing colour choices! Scroll through their gallery if you need some inspiration
    http://zephy0.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
    My Sketchbook - Help out an aspiring MTG artist!

*** HARSH CRITIQUE NEEDED***

Thanks
    domenix - Thank you so much for taking the time to post those links! I'll check them out I've struggled with colour for quite a while.

Just a few studies and an attempt to apply.
    Name:  study 8.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  study 6.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  study 5.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  57.8 KB
    Name:  rANDOM 8.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  50.7 KB

Thanks
    Update, update, update! We want to see an update. I know you've got work to show so show it Faces are still incredible, just be careful not to only do facial studies in your free time. You're already really good at those so you might want to brush up on a skill such as environments which you're not as comfortable with yet. Although the perspective piece in your ICA is really well done and looks really accurate. Looking forward to see all the work you do for these modules
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks again, Dennis. Look! Im updating haha
    Hey, guys. I hope the pictures aren't too big. I'm probably doing it wrong as I feel it takes so long to get the pictures resized. Anyway, these are a few of the things that I have done lately. Hopefully the next update will be a bit more interesting haha

Name:  Witch final.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  110.9 KBName:  Rich lady.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  102.1 KBName:  rANDOM 3.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Key moment 1.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  80.2 KBName:  Hunter sketches.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  89.9 KBName:  Hunter final idea.jpg
Size:  146.4 KBName:  helper final outfit.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  74.2 KBName:  Gun final.jpg
Size:  80.9 KBName:  Gun designs ideas.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  77.4 KBName:  CharacterSketches_S6123162.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  176.3 KB

Thanks
    That last orc page is relaly nice, the faces really stand out because as you know you're really good at them. Really liking the environment with the lighting too. For the weapons I'd advice you to use more reference, from real guns and just copy some stuff a gun has onto your design. For instance how the aim thing at the top is attached to the main thing and smaller details. Glad you updated again! For resizing I save my psd that I am working in as a jpg, then open that jpg in new window and go to image >resize> and about 1000px. Shouldnt take very long. Hope you keep updating
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks again, Dennis. I'll definitely try and look at more gun designs. Hopefully the resizing has worked.

Just an update on my key moment for uni. Any feedback is welcome.
    Name:  Key moment 1.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  359.3 KB

Thanks
    hello I did a quick overpaint for you
    I think there is too much open space with nothing too look at so I cropped it a bit, then I moved the lady orc a bit more to the orc in bed.
    I used image>adjustments > levels to increase the contrast and adjustments > color balance
    I hope it helps , you can ask if you have questions

Thanks
    None of those guns appear to have triggers? How will we eliminate the orc menace without means of firing on them? I know they've got the little areas where the trigger should go, but I don't see the mr. Squeezy himself.

Thanks
    ElisaClaes - Thank you so much, I've adjusted the piece now. There was definitely too much dead space and playing with the levels have made so much difference
    Adams - Haha thanks, missed out the most important thing. As you can tell I'm winging it a bit with these designs. I'll try and put more hours in.

Okay, as mentioned here is the hopefully improved version of the piece I posted above.
    Name:  keymoment 1 second.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  311.0 KB

Thanks
    Hi, Sophie--
    As far as I can see, you're making progress. Your robots are cute, so there's no problem in your creative circuits! :-)
    The problem I DO see is an overall "tightness", the kind that you first feel in your shoulder or back (if you feel it at all) and instantly transfers to your brain and your fingers, and then affects your drawing and rendering.
    If you said what "university" you were attending, I appologize for missing that post. What your teachers have not done is help you improve your "Hand-eye Coordination," which is key to drawing. You can only get it with "practice," which means it don't come automatically; you'll ruin a thousand drawings--and probably more.
    The most imporant thing to do is more drawings! Don't try to finish every one--if it's going poorly, say to yourself, "OK, I can do better than that," and keep working. If you think you can do that better, then you probably can. Maybe not tomorrow or even next week, but your work shows promise. You just need to loosen up, make the connections between your brain and your wrist work smoothly together. Relax. Drawing can be fun!

Thanks
    I think the last piece turned out really well it's mainly perspective you need to now look at for your next designs. I did a quick overpaint to show that some of the perspective lines are going a bit all over the place. But since we're covering it now I think if you just use 2 set points as vanishing points than you'll be good for you next piece.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    DK has a knack for "cutting right to the chase scene," and someone to listen to. And yes, learning persective is important for hardline backgrounds. But what comes through to me (and maybe it's just me) is an unintended rigidity in your non-robotic renderings. Even an Orc should have a measure of softness about its features, if your Orcs are going to move going to move convincingly, but don't confuse constructionism with naturalism.
    By all means, study and practice perspective until you're comfortable with with what you're drawing. Hard edges need it, and foreshortening has to pay attention, too. But a twisting, dodging figure makes you rely on your insticts most of the time.
    It's OK, you're gettin' there. Just stay lose.

Thanks
    lalle - Thanks a lot. You're definitely right about the rigidity of my characters. I'll try and loosen up a bit more.

Dennis - Yeah my perspective was a tad messy on that one. I know next time to get a solid base down first.

Okay, so environments are my biggest weakness and this is kind of embarrassing to post. This is meant to be a final piece once done but it's had a bad start so far. The things on the rocks in the distance are going to be 'homes' that humans have put on them and I was going to have my main character stood on the foreground staring across.
    Name:  Final.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  338.2 KB

Thanks
    Hey there, nice sketchbook
    Don't be embarrassed by posting anything - everyone struggles with something
    The plants in the foreground look interesting and I like the idea with the houses
    Maybe you could push the illusion of distance by blending the very background a little with the sky's color?

Very cool that you study concept art
    I would have loved to do the same but I was too afraid of applying

Please keep going

Thanks
    braineater - Thank you I've altered it a bit. It's definitely an interesting thing to study although hard work!

Okay, here's a few more bits.

Name:  Trollqueenfinal.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  177.4 KB
    Name:  Final 2.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  160.5 KB
Views: 358
Size:  329.4 KB

Thanks

Thanks
    Nice progress on the environment
    Keep pushing

Thanks
    Cool idea with the housing in the pillars in that painting! Generally things that are further into the background have softer edges. Things that have very high contrast tend to come out of the image, making it to look as if it's in the foreground or closer to us than intentionally. Especially contrast in edges and values at least. I'd also darken down the underside of the mushroom cap, maybe leaving the figure partly in shadow or something to catch our attention. What's fun about doing vast landscape paintings like these is that you can often leave the figure with it just having a really basic human-like gesture, and kind of hint for us that it's a figure.

Keep posting

Thanks
    SaulGarcia - Thank you, will do
    brain eater - Thank you
    Uiriamu - Thanks very much, I've played about with it a bit more. I've tried to think a bit more about the contrast so hopefully it looks better.

Okay, so the first thing is going to be a illustration for uni, it's meant to be based off Wes Burts style but I think I've definitely lost it so I've got a lot more work to do.

And the environment, I think it's getting better. As a part of the story for this piece for uni the idea is the figure is answering a distress call, I wanted to add something to the environment to make it look as if it was being 'infected' which is why the people need help but I have no idea how to achieve this.

I'll get round to checking out sketchbooks tomorrow.
    Name:  Final 2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  216.1 KB
Views: 310
Size:  304.6 KB

Thanks
    Hey, guys. Here are some finished bits. I won't be going back to work on them now but, as always, feel free to point out any issues you can see. Thanks for stopping by
    Name:  Poster final.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  375.0 KB
    Name:  Final 3.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  Final 11.jpg
Size:  84.2 KB
Size:  345.3 KB
    Name:  final2.jpg
Size:  151.1 KB
    Name:  guard ideas.jpg
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  house designs.jpg
Size:  188.2 KB
    Name:  Human final.jpg
Size:  168.4 KB
    Name:  Key moment 2.jpg
Size:  71.6 KB
    Name:  Alien2.jpg
Size:  98.9 KB

Thanks
    Oh wow you've been updating this quite well! And all this time I had no idea, I wouldve stopped by way earlier. You've done a lot of awesome work for the modules which I'm sure you'll see back in your grades once we get them sometime in upcoming days. You've changed the piece with the lighting which we talked about in the practical so well, it's turned out extremely dynamic and atmospheric. Such a huge improvement on how it was before. That is my favourite work definitely, really good job. Your environments could use a little more atmospheric perspective as others have pointed out, you've done it better in the environment for Digital Image Techniques but the troll queen poster feels a bit flat because it lacks the atmospheric perspective. You have made the values lighter and less saturated on the background elements but they stay the same with going into the distance. I did a little quick drawing to show just how powerful atmospheric perspective can be. Just making the colour lighter and less saturated is such an incredibly easy way to create depth in your drawings.
    My Sketchbook