Sci-Fi Brazilian Landscape -first post

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    At the not alway marvelous city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I do have monkey where I live...not pet monkeys though
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just recently I adventured in the CA forums and IT CHANGED MY LIFE !!! I'm studying journalism in Brazil and I already worked on several productions for american broadcasters like ABC, etc...But in the end when I looked at my notebooks they were full of drawings!
    After looking at this forum I met many people with whom I could indentify and mostly I saw what I REALLy wanted to do: Draw.
    The hardest part is to start my university from scratch and to resist the big bad checks I sometime receive from being a news producer.

So lets cut the crap and go to what really matters.
    I did this picture almost an year ago, in a time I had more chances to practice.

You can brag, you can curse and you can scream, but please make a crit about my stuff and sorry for the big speach.

About the pic: The endless gap between rich and poor in Brazil gets wider and wider by the year. In 2045 Johan just arrived from a 4 year exchange program in Europe just to reallize that he never walked outside the Ivory Tower of the high security district of Barra, where the wealthy few can enjoy a life unaware of the harsh reality of 98% of the population. He decided to grab a servant ID pass and sliped away from his neyghborhood and now he is seeing for the first time a city he thought he knew

Last edited by Brasuka; January 2nd, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

line weight

Interesting scene. One problem I see is that all your lines are nearly the same thickness. I would vary the thickness and type of line much more.

At the not alway marvelous city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I do have monkey where I live...not pet monkeys though
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are right about the lines. I used the same pen for the entire picture and it made the background blend to much with the main character and the rest of the people in front. I was aiming for a lighter line, but in the end it made it a little bit confusing, especially when I reduced the size of the pic for the web.

What about perspective? Is it working?

Thanks for your comment and keep them coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't call the perspective precise. The larger buildings in the foreground and middle seem to have a consistent horizon (sot of) but the small shacks on the hill get pretty crazy (vanishing points going every which way). When you begin a drawing, make a horizon line and then make sure that all objects that are parallel to the ground (ie: buildings) vanish to a point on that horizon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the idea, but as pointed out, some of the buildings need work on their perspective.

The main thing that is bothering me is the face of the primary character. it needs some around the chin/jaw area. that angle is (for me) extraordinarily difficult, so I can understand the struggle with it, and to be honest, I have so much trouble with it that I avoid putting characters in that pose if at all possible.

That said, I would hit up some references and rework the character some. Try Corbis and do a search for something like "looking up". It's a great photo resource for just about everything.

Otherwise, thicking some of your lines to help create sense of depth and focus. I like the basic structure to the scene and it balances out fairly well.

hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys.

I must confess I got a little sloppy on this one, so I haven't drawn the perspective lines at all. I guess this is the kind of thing you cant leave to pure intuition. Try not looking at the weird windows...hmmm I guess I can't say that for a client, can I?

Here are some close ups. I made this drawing using Pentel Nankin Pen and crappy pencils.

The crazy Favela (slum)

The main Character and his chin. Thanks Oregano for the tip. I have downloaded some reference pictures from Corbis and I'm sketching already. I will leave weird facial angles for later and stick with something easier.

Who's that girl ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you tackled a really complicated picture here and in a lot of ways it was a success. There's a really good, consistent sense of depth in the piece, especially when it comes to the figures. There's an interesting level of detail, enough so the place seems "lived in" but not so much that it overwhelms. Aside from the perspective and anatomy issues mentioned previously, things that can definately be improved with practice, I'd say that you've got a good grasp on the idea of illustration. I think the idea and composition of this picture would be pretty strong with some good color, or even grayscales to help lead the viewers eye to focal points.

If this was done a year ago, I'd like to see a similar picture produced more recently. I'm definately digging the story telling aspects. Will be great when the art ability catches up!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...these were some good points you pointed out.
    What can I say....I was to lazy to use perspective properly. This is one of the reasons why I want to change my degree to Arts. This way I will have better excuses on why I spent the whole day drawing.

About the scene. Any one has an idea on how I should paint it? I'm afraid that many details could disapear If I painted it. What do you think?

I just opened a thread on th sketch book and wip section of the forum.
    Here

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.