Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Working out the pose of the character as she skulks around, dispatching people who get in her way. Need to work on the legs.
    Still refining the style of her equipment, at the moment I'm leaning on influences from Arts&Crafts/Nouveau stained glass windows, without being too flashy. Not that her stuff is made of glass.
    Name:  chow406-wip2-IFAirassassin.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  149.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok, so i fixed the anatomy a bit, made sure to flip the image a few times, so that i could get the face and pose right. Now I'm working on adding cogs, gears, pistons, and other details. I might add embroidery to the dress, to add more visual interest, so that way everything feels evenly detailed.
    Critique and comments welcome!!
    Name:  steampunk asassin.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  92.4 KB

Thanks
    almost done im not gonna do much more refining to the character, maybe some lighting in the background. some critique would help im struggling a bit especially with the colors... im used to very vibrant and saturated colors, this stuff's too dark for me but maybe he needs to be darker ,i dunno, nothing seems to work.im also gonna post a second version of the same image as final where his pose is altered a bit and he's flying to show how it works. opinions about anything are more than welcome i want to change something but i dunno what it is.

lawnchairbear your c and d designs are spot on in my opinion. you should show some cool way to fly too and you re jet. and abrahamdhr your 2nd one's pose looks super awesome and your 3rd's equipment is very intreresting too. these are just my personal favorites i think from the prev pages but not the only ones! everyone seems to be doing awesome work but i think this post would be too big if i comment all of them!

just a couple things about the last 2.. infernoking shes cool she reminds me of boba fett a bit but i think you already have in mind how to emphasize the steampunk aspect even more in your refined. also if you fix slightly the second pose its a cool pose i really like it, good for a final

spearman its going the right way, i think, like you said if you add more detail on her body. and not just refine i think you should actually add more stuff like equipment and couple of discreet mechanical parts cause you got the ninja part but doesnt feel quite steampunk yet

Name:  papapa.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  90.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanks, Sparekiss.

Two things I notice with your character.
    Figure out the color consistency and direction of the lighting. From what I can see there are 3(?) different sources
    1) Top ambient blue light
    2) Back lit yellow (but then it becomes more white at the bottom)
    3) A peachy spotlight on the assassin's arm, front shirt edge and the dead guy's face but it doesn't appear to illuminate much else.

Also the proportion of the leg planted on the dead guy needs adjusted. The thigh is a little short, knee is high and shin too long.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks man i completely overlooked that leg you re right now i see it! about the lights i think it looks awkward cause i havent added a background light yet. yea its 1)top ambient blue 2) top yellow spotlight from kinda far away and kinda in the back (wanted to look like he's lit by a real small street light some candle maybe) and 3) an ambient white from behind the character, like almost pointing the camera but from far away and a bit to the right. thanks for your feedback ill see if i can fix the lights then!

Thanks
    @sparekiss: Thanks for the suggestion! yeah i got the same feel from the design. At first i had wanted her to be a "lower tech" or "earlier" version of steampunk, but when I thought of great steampunk-like games, like Dishonored, Bioshock, and Fallout (on occasion) I felt I needed to add a little more to her. I have been adding gears and cogs all over and trying to work them in as equipment somehow. Hmm... maybe I'll make one of her legs mechanical........

Thanks
    Very cool stuff in here....
    Last edited by Lege1; July 30th, 2016 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Just FYI that you can use the keyboard short cuts for zoom (ctrl+)/ zoom out(ctrl-)/ and regular screen size(ctrl0) to better view the images on line. When I want to see the larger posts I just zoom out. Hope that works out well for everyone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lege1 View Post
    Just FYI that you can use the keyboard short cuts for zoom (ctrl+)/ zoom out(ctrl-)/ and regular screen size(ctrl0) to better view the images on line. When I want to see the larger posts I just zoom out. Hope that works out well for everyone.
    It's good practice to make your art as easy to view as possible, not just on here. If on your portfolio a client has to click on several different things to view an image, or wait a few seconds each time for a massive image file to load they may lose interest. You shouldn't really make people have to jump through hoops such as zooming in and out or whatever to see your stuff clearly. As I said earlier there is nothing in the rules preventing large size images, it just makes sense to get into the habit of adapting your images to show easily on as many devices / browsers as you can. You can't always expect a viewer / prospective client to work to see your pictures.
    This isn't a rant, I worry people might think I'm moaning at them.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you re right guys i saw the rules that say 800px max but i must have uploaded the wrong file though i remember changing the height to 800. sorry about that... anyway i just wanted to ask isnt the deadline tomorrow? shouldnt there be a finals thread yet? im just new here and i thought it would open yesterday. and sorry if im spamming here asking random questions ill shut up now forever just worried if it doesnt appear for me for some reason or something! or if im supposed to look for it somewhere else

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparekiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Update, not sure if I'll have the time to do much more, which is a shame, but I will see if I can clean it up before submission.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
    It's good practice to make your art as easy to view as possible, not just on here. If on your portfolio a client has to click on several different things to view an image, or wait a few seconds each time for a massive image file to load they may lose interest. You shouldn't really make people have to jump through hoops such as zooming in and out or whatever to see your stuff clearly. As I said earlier there is nothing in the rules preventing large size images, it just makes sense to get into the habit of adapting your images to show easily on as many devices / browsers as you can. You can't always expect a viewer / prospective client to work to see your pictures.
    This isn't a rant, I worry people might think I'm moaning at them.
    Totally right on that man. Clients need to be catered to no doubt and considering we are practicing with career opportunities in mind, it is only right to get into the habit now of catering to the client and presenting an image that is not over sized.
    I found 1000px to still be a bit large for the forum. So here is a re post at 800px in height. I also did an image size for 516pxh to see if that will fit the screen perfect; There fore I can more or less just use that image as a template.
    Name:  COW406_AerialAssasin_w1a_web.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  237.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lege1; July 30th, 2016 at 12:41 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And 516 pixels high for tightest fit on this forum it is.

Thanks
    This CHOW has made me realise something. I hate designing steam punk themed stuff. I can't for the life of me design a good steampunk mask, it often comes out looking to sci-fi or just far to mundane or boring. urgg anyway I will finish it eventually, when are the finals up?

@Discorave Looks cool so far, but the little dagger seems rather out of place with the rest of the design, I think something more bulky or at least more steampunk themed would fit better.
    Last edited by someguy216; July 30th, 2016 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparekiss View Post
    you re right guys i saw the rules that say 800px max but i must have uploaded the wrong file though i remember changing the height to 800. sorry about that... anyway i just wanted to ask isnt the deadline tomorrow? shouldnt there be a finals thread yet? im just new here and i thought it would open yesterday. and sorry if im spamming here asking random questions ill shut up now forever just worried if it doesnt appear for me for some reason or something! or if im supposed to look for it somewhere else
    AdamRoush usually handles the finals thread, he must be delayed somehow. I will put up the thread if there isn't one Sunday morning (GMT)
    If it ends up being pushed back really late we may extend the deadline a little to compensate.
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast