Thanks

Contracts with clients from another countries

Hi folks!
    I have a doubt about contracts, maybe someone could help me.
    I work as an Illustrator for a few years in my country, and I've been thinking about begin to work with clients from other countries. I always use contracts, which is great for both parties. My doubt is: how does contracts works when you use it with a person from another country? I mean, a contract is validated by both parties signing it, isn't it? So, how can this document be legal if there is no signature?
    I'm concerned about the security of working like that...But maybe I just don't know everything about this process yet. Anyone already have been through it?
    Thanks for the attention

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    When you work with clients from other countries, it's normally the client that provides the contract and you agree upon the fine details together. Speaking personally, when we send contracts out we use English (UK) law because we are UK based and thus the UK courts would have jurisdiction should any issues develop. Every contract should explicitly state which country (occasionally countries but it can get messy then) has jurisdiction.

The actual process of sending the document is relatively simple in this era. We use services like docusign, esign etc Basically, these companies for a fee let you send the document to the recipient's email to be digitally signed (stronger than live signatures). I'm not sure about others but I know many large studios that follow a similar process to ours i.e. the studio sends out the contract (usually via one of these signing companies) and the contractor digitally signs it. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Thank very much for the explanation, Frost9! All info about this subject is important to me.