Thanks

Nagarjuna – Color and Light 1.1

This was started in Acrylic 12" x 16" on canvas paper and did a basic block in. It was then scanned. The details of the face and the overall big values we adjusted using Painter. When creating the composition, I thought about the center of interest, the rhythm of the negative spaces, and balance of the big shapes. I really like the shape of the biggest dark negative shape. I must be slow, because I went over the 3 hour time limit, and it would probably take me a couple more hours at least to render it to the level of detail I am seeing in the other posts.

It is not a very good likeness, but I am pleased that head looks like a volume and not flat. I also like the loose, sculptural look of the face. I paid particular attention to getting the neck comping out of the collar to look like a volume by looking at the cast shadows of the shirt collar and neck. I also made sure there was a good core shadow to the right of the nose, mouth, and neck.

I could definitely keep refining this (especially in the nose and mouth), but overall, for me, this came out pretty good for a 3 hour effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.