Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Where do you get your music from?

I've never tried to download music before... so i was wondering if anyone can point me to their favorite sites (with selection and virus protection taken into consideration of course), as well as discuss the legality of the issue of dowloading itself.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    do you want to download legally? If you do, I would recommend iTunes.

if you don't, that's illegal! I think we're not allowed to suggest software for downloading illegeally, so I won't recommend any.

There aren't really many sites where you can download music - at least not permanent ones. They get shut down pretty fast.
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    that explains why nobody is replying!

Thanks
    it ain't illegal in Canada!

I use Bit Torrent if I can find the album I want on suprnova.org
    I use mIRC if I feel like downloading music while I'm downloading some sort of big program(which is usually what I'd use mIRC for)
    aaand now that I have a better network setup I use Soulseek too slsknet.org I think

and if there's something I need to the point where I'd be willing to trade my soul...provided that it's not available on those other 3 systems, I'll fire up KaZaA lite, or K++ or whatever it's called now.

...but I also hear Limewire and eMule are really good as well.

just google to find download sites for the programs....the easiest to use for a noob with the best results for your efforts is Soulseek imho...from what I've used anyways.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    NoUseFrAName is on top of things when it comes to downloading music.

this right here rates all the popular p2p softwares by downloads (excluding kazaa)

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix
    DC++ is the best.
    damn straight.

I still buy music when the funds allow it though, I feel the satisfaction of getting the actual packaged product. These people work very hard for their art, and they deserve payout for their work.

Thanks
    Yeah, direct connect is the best option I know of - if you can find some good hubs where they have the music you want, that is.

I just wanted to point out that all music isn't illegal to download. I mean...there are free songs. Some artists put up a free sample song or two...some put up an entire album which you can download and listen to a few times before the license expires - then you will have to either buy it or throw it away. And some actually make free music, which you can download and listen to as much as you want. These are generally people without a record contract, though, so it may not always be very good.

And just to make sure it's said...these days you don't go to a website to download "illegal" music. Unless you count bittorrent, of course, but you don't download the songs through the site. You use some sort of peer-to-peer program and download from other people.

With that said, some great songs by Pain of Salvation can be downloaded for free here.

Thanks
    Ares and Soulseek
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    how about limewire, that is a P2p networking proram with virus protection, it checks the file your downloading and if it is corrupted it will let you know and you can kill the download and still be virus free.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; November 7th, 2004 at 11:19 PM.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    I don't know guys, I have been a Kazaa Lite user forever and I have tried almost everything else but Kaz just keeps finding me what I need.

Thanks
    Whenever there's a song I want, i write it down on a slip of paper, put it under my pillow, and the Magical Music Fairy puts it on my hard drive the next morning. At least, that's what I told those RIAA lawyers....

Thanks
    emule is teh best!
    well, i do buy a lotta music, too!

Thanks
    newsgroups
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    no, never trust newsgroups....they teh shady bastards with evil thoughts to destroy j00....ph34R 73h N3\/\/5Gr0up5!

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    but the servers are fast
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Lots of great advice! I downloaded and used kazaa once, a long time ago. Unforunately, I was also downloading lots of viruses through the program, so I quit very soon after. How do you guys get around this? Are some programs more virus ridden then others?

Thanks
    I use dc++
    Here all the downloads are free, if you download from iceland territory

Thanks
    limewire is good. it is exactly like kazaa, but it searches every single file that you want to download and does a virus check on each one. and when it finds one that is corrupt, it will tell you if you want to continue downloading it. usually i click "no" and stay virus free. i prefer using Edonkey/overnet. since i can go to shareconnector.com and find a download and have edonkey/overnet running and i can download stuff quite accuratley and smoothly.
    but sometimes edonkey/overnet crashes often. so you gotta reset your modem all the time...

Thanks
    http://music.download.com/

I just asked this too, I got a few songs here and ththey said it is free, a mate of mine said just grab one at a time and get out quick.

Thanks
    I just got Ares and it is kicking mass ass for me

Thanks
    I pretty much only download obscure scandinavian blackmetal stuff, for which Soulseek works well. Having trouble finding classical stuff on it though. Though I imagine all P2P progs are going to be like that. Dunno how Soulseek matches up to others when it comes to pop music.

Thanks
    its quite funny how much attention and hatred a posting about downloading games and movies got, without seeing anything of that kind in here... probably more people here are into games and movies than music =P.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    www.allofmp3.com is pretty cool..... you can preview entire albums for free (just gives you access to the album for a few days) or download songs to keep if you want.... and it's ridiculously cheap =)

Thanks

Talking

I avoid programs like Kazaa because of two things. One, I've read a lot about spyware and people hiding trojans and other nasty viruses in files. Two, because there is such a wide range of bitrates on the MP3 files and most of them are very crappy quality. I used to like DC but there are all these quotas for the good server groups and some of us don't like to store a ton of that crap on our harddrives.

I also recommend BitTorrent. It's becoming the most popular method for downloading files. The MP3s you find are almost always high bitrates. Plus, you'll find many people offering FLAC and SHN lossless file formats, as opposed to lossy MP3. I download a lot of live music, which is legal because the bands allow recordings at their shows, so long as it's shared and not sold. Check out sharingthegroove.org (which seems to be having tons of server probs lately), as well as Suprnova.org. Do a search for BitTorrent and you'll find a bunch of download sites. Good luck, whatever you choose!
    If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

Thanks

Well..

There are over 130 000 artists listed at Soundclick.com

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=193788

Download.com's music selection ain't bad either.

Thanks
    how about if you download some music and like it, buy the cd and support the artist, im sick of people that burn cds
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I listen a lot of 'Cracktros' and game music in general (sid, mod) (I use DeliPlayer). That kind of music is more or less free. There's also a lot of groups releasing game music remixes for free.

I also pop the music files from most games into my playlist.

When I want to listen to 'normal'/mainstream music, I use webradio or just radio. It's easy to find channels with music that's interesting.

The advantage with mods is that it's a lossless and VERY compact format. Also, the Web Radio (back2roots) system is interactive. You just DL their generated playlist and the player download the song when its turn comes (or you select one). Since each song is just a few kb you're saving bandwidth while not having to put up with lag or bad compression.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 5th, 2004 at 02:14 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I just got a lovely ibook. Now, it seems that most file sharing programs are incompatible with Mac OS. Can anyone point me to exceptions?

Thanks
    I buy my music. I'm the kind of old school guy who NEEDS to hold a product in my hand and unwrap the plastic cover, take out the CD Sleeve booklet and browse through the design of it....pop the CD into my portable player and sit back to listen whatever I bought.

Kinda like how some folks from the older generation keeps 8-tracks and cassette tapes.....I'm pretty sure when CDs and DVDs become a thing of the past, I'll still be looking for it.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast