Patrick's Thunderdome Dump
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Patrick's Thunderdome Dump

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Patrick's Thunderdome Dump

Just wanted to create a one-stop-shop for all my noodling on the Thunderdome entry to get feedback on ideas and such.

The 80's cartoon I chose was Thundarr the Barbarian.

Since I had a pretty firm idea of where I wanted to go with the two main human characters I didn't have to do a lot of work there. Ookla was another matter. Here are some quick gesture sketches I did to get a feel for what the character was about.

By the end I was starting to get a grasp of where I wanted to go with this character and did a few more finished sketches.

So, after working through my creative block I some little sketches of all the characters in mostly full poses.

Now what I want to do is some kind of an action scene with all the characters in a pitted battle with some goofy wizard-type like in the cartoon. Here is the color comp for the final entry piece. I still have yet to sketch the wizard.

Thanks for looking! Comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love progression posts. Thanks for sharing these. I really like the thread from intial Ookla to final Ookla.

Anatomically, your tendency seems to be to short change your figures in the torso department. There's little room for the pancreas and spleen, much less the liver and two kidneys. And with the exception of Ariel (yum), the figures tend to be top heavy (though the feet are correctly sized, visually). I'd love to see you push the lighting sword concept further.

The color sketch look fantastic, but you'll need to put some pretty good action to the right to counter that amount of black over there.

Nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Anatomically, your tendency seems to be to short change your figures in the torso department.
    Aha! That's one of the reasons why I've been posting here, to work out stuff just like that! Back to the drawing books...

I'd love to see you push the lighting sword concept further.
    Cool, I'll have to work up some various designs for that.

The color sketch look fantastic, but you'll need to put some pretty good action to the right to counter that amount of black over there.
    Thanks! Yeah, this is just the background idea. I wanted the main group over on that side and the wizard coming at them from the left. All of that would be lit by the spell effects and such. I may add some debris in the immediate foreground to break up the composition and add depth but I'll wait till I get the figures placed there.

Thanks for the excellent feeback! I'm off to the drawing board again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is the action sketch for the final painting. This is not the final placement of the figures, I just scanned them all together to save space.

Instead of a goofy wizard, I decided to have them battle some sort of giant mutant slug with gooey pseudopods. One of the flippers has caught Ookla and hurled him.

I'll post an in-progress shot of the painting as it gets a little further along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. There is a lot of fantastic motion in these figures. Great job. I would say that Ariel is still a bit short in the torso and now even the legs, though. Sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. There is a lot of fantastic motion in these figures. Great job.
    Thanks, D!

I would say that Ariel is still a bit short in the torso and now even the legs, though.
    Dammit! I don't know why that happens. I tweaked it a bit in Pshop here and there to stretch her out a bit more. I really see what you're talking about.

Thanks for the input. On to painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I posted the final painting over in the Thunderdome 8:final image thread.

Here are the stage shots:

Click here for a BIGGER ONE

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.