Thanks

IDW # 301: Neo Tokyo Police Car

Name:  idw new banner.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  484.9 KB
    IDW # 301: Neo Tokyo Police Car.

Round 301 - NeoTokyo Police Car
    Deadline: 26th June 2016

Following the rise of organised cyber criminals and hacking of telecommunications in the late 21st century, authorities lost complete control of the digital platform. As a response to the ensuing chaos major governments united and agreed to go off grid and build their own communications infrastructure.

After failed attempts to shut down ‘the peoples internet’ and cyber criminals succeeding in breaking into the newly created UNOnet, police response task forces were established to tackle the ongoing global digital threat. The Japanese government led the way with their Tokyo based Cyber-crimes division. Using advanced technology their forces fought back against the streets.

This months challenge is to design a Neo Tokyo Police car set in an anarchic digital future capable of detecting, manipulating and destroying illegal communication devices and data.

Brief:
    1. Design a Neo-Tokyo Police car.
    2. That's it... now draw!

*attach new round icon jpg via manager FIRST*
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i thought of doing something which incorporates modern communication antenna due to the higher need for secured mobile internet access. don't know if this is the best design decision.

Name:  20160613-neo-tokyo-police-car.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  193.3 KB

my references here: http://i.imgur.com/QADHZQa.jpg
    sorry for the slightly larger image.

crit on design and technique much appreciated

Thanks
    sirkrimskull - Nice development work. The use of the antenna is great but why don't you exaggerate it more? Your car sketches are well drawn so you don't need to worry technically, have fun and make it more crazy? The three quarter rear view of design 3 is interesting with those vertical details, and the wheels from design 5 remind me of those magnetic spherical concepts by Goodyear; <span class="username" style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-size: 15.600000381469727px;">

Also have a google of natures antennae, particularly moths for some cool shapes and proportions. Design 2 is great but probably least appropriate if you have to transport detained criminals, but then again, maybe that could be one portion of a larger vehicle, or maybe it's a selective modular system and that is the IT component.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Hi all,

Been lurking around the Weekly forums for a while, and finally decided to jump in.
    Name:  2016-June-Concepart-NeoTokyo-car.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  138.5 KB

Thanks
    Yay, ID people!
    I'm probably going to miss this one, but I thought I'd chime in with design process notes. Have I overthought this? Probably.
    Things to remember, Japanese cities drive in the left lane, their steering wheels are typically on the right side of the vehicles (unless it's just in the center).
    Before I realized I wouldn't have time for this challenge I spent a few hours "driving" around different districts of Tokyo area with google street view camera (we have the technology). I'd recommend doing the same. Familiarize yourselves with the location your designing for; barring major catastrophe the street plan will probably remain the same in this hypothetical future.
    While the main avenues are 4-6 lanes across, their general streets two lanes, I found a lot of side streets that are rather narrow, barely one way. Street parking is basically non-existent, backstreet corners can be tight turns, smaller vehicles and Kei-car/vans are popular in the denser urban areas.

Name:  tokyo-shinjuku-koto-streets.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  184.8 KB
    Example: I think the white car was "parked" others were going around it in the 360view sequence.

Be mindful of vehicle size in trying to navigate these back streets, and how future-cyber police might have to contend with the way and space their car doors opens in apprehending perps. These are just my observations.

Thanks
    @Dayle: thanks for your feedback! both, exaggeration and inspiration from animal antenna are great ideas.

@InfernoKing: I agree, good to know the location, and google maps is a great tool to use

@Hilmyworks: i like the overall form of your vehicle. maybe try a different perspective or detail views?

did a quick sketch tonight but nothing super exaggerated or even fit to the location very well. this would be high speed special forces i guess...
    Name:  20160620.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  31.5 KB

Thanks
    @InfernoKing : I'm tackling the issues you mentioned in three different ways.
    Name:  2016 June Conceptart Cop Car Update.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  32.3 KB

1) Steering wheel side.
    The easiest answer would be to flip the design horizontally. However I'll try and tackle that with industrial design.

I'll assume that in the future, Tesla-style batteries will dominate car design. Those electric cars are drive-by-wire, meaning there's no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the drivetrain/wheels. Therefore there's no structural reason for a steering wheel to pick a side (it's simply which side is closer to the center of the road.) I'll follow that up with two proposals.
    a) For the sake of redundancy, both sides can drive. The steering wheels are stored under the dashboard and swivels out depending on who's driving. Drive-by-wire means they can be light, and the front panel will switch to a dashboard view depending who's driving and who's managing information. Both sides will have pedals on the floor.
    b) Being in the future, it's possible to have the car drive itself.

This does seem a bit of a cop-out since I'm saying "it's the future, they'll solve that", but both situations are not that far off in the future. Let's just say Japan is always a bit ahead of the curve.

It does mean however that these cars are built with a very significant budget. Dare I say the United Governments of Japan invested quite a bit in this tech?

2) Doors opening in narrow streets.
    The biggest issue I see are horizontally-swinging doors. To make the car work better in tight environments, there are two possibilities:
    a) Scissor doors that swivel upwards.
    b) Van-like doors that slide along the body.

I'm going for the second option. Also, because the steering wheel is not locked to one side, the police personnel on either side can take an exit action depending on who has space, and the one left behind gets the steering wheel.

3) Space limitations of urban Japan.
    The primary actions are done by drones. These robots are the extensions of the police personnel and they can access places regular humans would take time to navigate to. So the police car does not need to drive close to the location. Assuming the drones are able to hack/disrupt communication devices and also taser humans, they could do the grunt work and personnel would only go on foot to clean up.

A fully subdued suspect (to answer @Dayle's concern) can be brought by the police personnel and placed in the arrest pods at the back of the car. In case of backstreet space limitations, both left and right has arrest pods, but the subdued suspects could be brought to the car parked at a more convenient location. If they make a break for it, the drones can go after them again.

The drones were originally meant to cater the problem of urban locations with tall buildings, but in this case, they can also help in tight places.

@sirkrimskull: Thanks! Detailed look+perspective will be the next update!

Thanks
    @sirkrimskull Alternate look with details done. This will be the final design, and I'm building supplementary info to explain the design. Finally noticed you did check out Tokyo police car designs, as there are similar decals and logos built in your sketch.

Name:  201606-Neo-Tokyo-Progress.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  90.9 KB

Car now follows the current Japanese police car design. Doors now slide along the car's body, so there are guiderails on the body - where the tires are housed in - for the doors to slide along on. I'd make it clearer, but Tokyo paint design meant the bottom parts of the car has to be dark. Headlights are LED based to keep to the futuristic theme.

Car is still big, so the issue of it not fitting the backstreets of Tokyo is still valid. Infographic at least explains how people are arranged inside the car.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Since people are drawing this time, I'll make a finals thread in about three hours. I think I can give a week extension if people think they'll finish up.

Thanks
    I thought sirkrimskull's design was excellent, did a little study on his work, studying line work and technique for improvement. Thought I would post.
    Very inspirational drawing skills. I lost a lot of the aesthetically pleasing hand drawn lines, and found it hard to replicate the nice thick to thin emphasis without getting certain photoshop brushes. Anyone know any nice thick to thin brush stokes in Photoshop? I'll have a research and see if I can find one or two that work well.

Name:  smallcar.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  54.0 KB