Thanks

Who's your daddy now?

We interrupt any intelligent conversation with this important announcement:

THE RED SOX PWNZ J00 ALL!

We now return to art-related discussion

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thumbs up for the Red Sox. Not all too much of a fan for them but I hate the Yankees so Yay! Now we just gotta get old broken down Astros to win just one game now. Sheesh how can they just let em have that last game.

Thanks
    The sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then.

LETS GO ASTROS/CARDINALS!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    im rooting for anyone but the red sox....not much different than the yankees there. but then again, im a small market twins fan. doh!

if the cards can get past clemens they are going to win the series.

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    if the cards can get past clemens they are going to win the series.
    Ooh, it might hurt for the Sox to lose to Clemens again, huh? Hadn't thought of that.

Congrats Sox fans!! Does this mean we can stop hearing you guys blame your suckiness on a curse? Just kidding... the Sox played wicked hod, and beat the odds. Nice job!

Thanks
    i didnt think of that either...man so much for the curse of bambino....the rocket curse upside their noggin will be just as bad. i really would enjoy the sox having to face clemens. even if it is late in his career, he is still sharp and on point.

fun fun fun I was rooting for the cards cuz i know they can handle the sox....not sure about the astros yet. they can be shakey sometimes. the cards are consistently badass. regardless id still rather see the twins in there...oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind
    Ooh, it might hurt for the Sox to lose to Clemens again, huh? Hadn't thought of that.

Congrats Sox fans!! Does this mean we can stop hearing you guys blame your suckiness on a curse? Just kidding... the Sox played wicked hod, and beat the odds. Nice job!

Thanks
    strange. ill stick with soccer.
    juventus turin owned bavaria munich last tuesday

what? nobody cares? :<

Thanks
    As a native of St. Louis, I believe I am required to issue this address after their extra-inning win last night: Booya. I think the cards can take Clemens tonight. Playing at home tonight will be a huge help after last night's win. We do have the best fans in baseball, afterall.
    Ho hum!

Thanks
    Boston shall lose by any means necessary.

Thanks
    Go Mariners!!!

What? Oh. Never mind.

Thanks
    Look out Beantown, here come the Cards! I could nopt be happier right now. The Cardinals worked their asses off this season, and they're getting where they deserve to be.
    Ho hum!

Thanks
    Despite any hatin' going on, you have to agree that the ALCS was one of the greatest playoff series ever. I hate the Yanks, but still think the 2001 World Series was the greatest ever (although it doesn't hurt that they lost ).

With what the Sox had to go through to win this series, I wouldn't want to be the team in their way, come the WS.

Also, for your own sake, if you happen to be Tony LaRussa and you're reading this: If you see Ortiz at the plate, just block that out and imagine it's Barry Bonds up there and pitch to him accordingly, that is your only hope of survival.
    Last edited by SeraphSword; October 22nd, 2004 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    Go Cards!

STL, whoo hoo!
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    i greatly dislike the yankees simply because im sick of seeing the same team win that much. so with that in mind...

as nice as it is to think about the red sox becoming the first team in baseball to win a 7 game series after bieng down 0-3, its more fun for me to think of it as the YANKEES BECOMING THE FIRST TEAM IN BASEBALL TO LOSE A 7 GAME SERIES AFTER BEING UP 3-0. oh yeah, i feel better now.

anyway, go indians....*tear*

Thanks

Thanks
    davi fathered every member of every football team in america.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuka
    strange. ill stick with soccer.
    Me too. I don't even know what sport they are talking about
    But...floorball is more interesting than soccer. 'nuff said.

Thanks
    It's baseball. Bout equally in popularity there to soccer here.

oh and go Sox

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    It's baseball. Bout equally in popularity there to soccer here.
    I always thought soccer (futbol!) was the most popular sport worldwide. I could be wrong, but I heard some figures once that supported that. Most people don't understand in the U.S. just how big it is pretty much everywhere else in the world. It baffles me why it didn't take off here, aside from the brief stint with the Cosmos in the 70's.

Thanks
    It is probably the most popular sport in the world, i merely noted that here it is not popular just like baseball isn't in europe.

It isn't popular here because we as a nation tend to stick to sports that started here, baseball, football, basketball, nascar, etc. Sure there are exceptions but other sports such as soccer, cricket, and rugby don't have near the fanbase as in other places.

Thanks
    Football (soccer for you people who cant use real names ) is the most popular sport in the world.
    How you can have a 'World series' within a single country is beyond me, arrogance?.
    'American football' may have been started in the US but I think it's derived from Rugby, none of your namby-pamby helmets in use. Ya wimps! (i'd like to add i got out of doing rugby at school by faking a sick note ). I do play alot of football though!

I think everyone knows though that extreme ironing is probably the best sport in the world, after motorcycle racing (not SX I may add).

I care Hanuka! I'm also loving Chelsea winning the same group the FC Porto are now at the bottom of! And if Arsenal get theyre act together away from home they will destroy everyone. Try and watch a premiership game to see how good they are, in Europe they just fall apart. Or watch Arsenal Vs Inter (Milan) from las year, that shows how good Arsenal are!

P.S. I suppot my local team which is Charlton Athletic. In the Premiership and doing well for a small team.

And anyway all US sport is crap because you dont get proper crowd clashes. If your ever in London go to a Millwall match. Go into the 'family section' of the home crowd and you should be fine, just make sure you cheer for the right team. And dont worry about the riot police, theyre always there (no im not lying!)

Enough sport for one night!

Edit: Another quick question about US sport/fans. Do you get chanting at your games/matches. Things like (assuming your from the south and playing a northern team) "you dirty northern bas*ards", repeatedly chanted. Or "the referee's a wan*er"? Just curious really. Team and player (supporting and deriving) chants as well etc...
    Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Outbreak
    As a native of St. Louis, I believe I am required to issue this address after their extra-inning win last night: Booya. I think the cards can take Clemens tonight. Playing at home tonight will be a huge help after last night's win. We do have the best fans in baseball, afterall.
    best fans in baseball would have to be the mariners. 3 lousiest team, and still one of the highest attendances...

Thanks
    Edit: Another quick question about US sport/fans. Do you get chanting at your games/matches. Things like (assuming your from the south and playing a northern team) "you dirty northern bas*ards", repeatedly chanted. Or "the referee's a wan*er"? Just curious really. Team and player (supporting and deriving) chants as well etc...
    Not quite like that. The Red Sox/Yankee fans are pretty creative with their insulting chants, but I don't know about the rest of the Majors. Only rivalry in baseball that I can think of with enough history to inspire hatred in the fans and players. Nothing regional though, and the referee stuff is usually kept to booing, although occasionally you'll get fans throwing bottles and trash onto the field to protest a call.

I don't think US fans get as passionate about sports as the rest of the world is about soccer, but it may be because we have a few major sports that we can spread our passion out for. Do European fans get that passionate about things other than soccer? Here, if your baseball team doesn't do well, you can always pin your hopes on your local football team or basketball team, so it's not as crushing if one of them isn't doing well.

best fans in baseball would have to be the mariners. 3 lousiest team, and still one of the highest attendances...
    Try being a Red Sox fan for 20 years, then see if you can stay loyal. Being a Red Sox fan is like making out with Anna Kournikova, and you're sure it's going all the way, and next thing you know she kicks you in the nuts, stomps on them and twists her heel, then tells everyone she knows about it. And she's always asking you to make out and you're sure this time she won't do it, but she always does. The Red Sox inspire a lunatic loyalty even we fans can't really comprehend. It's not the rough patches that make it hard, it's the tease.
    Last edited by SeraphSword; October 23rd, 2004 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks
    I won't be as harsh on you as I normally would because this is an art forum and off topic but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by acuna_read
    Football (soccer for you people who cant use real names ) is the most popular sport in the world.
    How you can have a 'World series' within a single country is beyond me, arrogance?.
    The word soccer first started in England so blame your countrymen before us. It started as socca and eventually formed to soccer in the 1800s. It was popular in Ireland but people seem to think Americans coined the term.

Before you start with the typical Europeans calling Americans arrogant once again here is the explaination of why it is called the world series. Ten minutes of research could have stopped your name calling.

One baseball myth that just won't die is that the "World Series" was named for the New York World newspaper, which supposedly sponsored the earliest contests. It didn't, and it wasn't.

In fact, the postseason series between the AL and NL champs was originally known as the "Championship of the World" or "World's Championship Series." That was shortened through usage to "World's Series" and finally to "World Series."

This usage can be traced through the annual baseball guides. Spalding's Base Ball Guide for 1887 reported the results of the 1886 postseason series between Chicago, champions of the National League, and St. Louis, champions of the American Association, under the heading "The World's Championship." As the editor noted, the two leagues "both entitle their championship contests each season as those for the base ball championship of the United States," so a more grandiose name was required to describe the postseason showdown between the two "champions of the United States."

But the Spalding Guide -- which, after all, was published by one of the world's largest sporting goods companies, with a vested interest in bringing baseball to other lands -- had grander ambitions. By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

This didn't happen, but the name "World's Championship Series" stuck. Reporting on the first modern postseason series, the Red Sox-Pirates battle of 1903, the 1904 Reach Guide called it the "World's Championship Series." By 1912, Reach's headline spoke of the "World's Series," while editor Francis Richter's text still referred to the "World's Championship Series." The Reach Guide switched from "World's Series" to "World Series" in 1931, retaining the modern usage through its merger with the Spalding Guide and through its final issue in 1941. The separately-edited Spalding Guide used "World's Series" through 1916, switching to "World Series" in the 1917 edition.

The Spalding-Reach Guide was replaced as Major League Baseball's semi-official annual by the Sporting News Guide, first published in 1942. The Sporting News Guide used "World's Series" from 1942 through 1963, changing to "World Series" in the 1964 edition.

Moreover, the New York World never claimed any connection with postseason baseball. The World was a tabloid much given to flamboyant self-promotion. If it had been involved in any way with sponsoring a championship series, the fact would have been emblazoned across its sports pages for months. I reviewed every issue of the World for the months leading up to the 1903 and 1905 World's Championship Series -- there's not a word suggesting any link between the paper and the series.
    'American football' may have been started in the US but I think it's derived from Rugby, none of your namby-pamby helmets in use. Ya wimps! (i'd like to add i got out of doing rugby at school by faking a sick note ). I do play alot of football though!
    American football may have been started with Rugby or a game called ballown, it is not perfectly clear. Football is different from rugby in that there are forward passes resulting in more terrific collissions. The game started in college in the 1800s with no pads or helmets but in the early 1900s after many deaths they started requiring helmets and pads being worn. It has nothing to do with being wimps, football is not rugby so stop with the silly comparison. And i know what rugby is, my sister is on one of the US national rugby teams.

And anyway all US sport is crap because you dont get proper crowd clashes. If your ever in London go to a Millwall match. Go into the 'family section' of the home crowd and you should be fine, just make sure you cheer for the right team. And dont worry about the riot police, theyre always there (no im not lying!)
    Another generalization :sigh: Gloating about having riot police at your game, thats quite lovely. What are you ten?

Yes we get chanting, here it has nothing to do with north south, east west, it is about rivalries in sports. Duke-North Carolina, Florida-Georgia, Connecticut-Syracuse, RedSox-Yankees, etc etc. I would say the highest amount of "chanting" would be in College sports as college students are the most frenzied. If you want chanting you should have watched the yankees chanting "whos your daddy" to Pedro the other day.