Thanks

Zoltan86 - Color and light 1.1

Hi everyone,

Here is my self portrait. I spent 3 hours on it. I had to discard my first attempt it was so bad. I found this assignment to be difficult. Which means I should probably do more self portraits. Getting the proportions right was very hard.
    Now onto the light and shadow part. One thing I learned from this exercise is that in the mass light area there is not much variation in value. Or at least not as much as thought there would be. At one point I had to go over the entire lit part and brighten the darker values and darken the brighter values. I also had to double check myself in the mass shadow part as I unintentionally added way too much fill light.

Name:  lr-self portrait bw.jpeg
Views: 634
Size:  362.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Zoltan,
    The first thing that popped out to me was your transition values need work...work more on getting the light to blend into the shadow. Another thing I would suggest is being more careful to observe values around the eyes, often they are cast in shadow based on lighting and we tend to want to make the white of the eye brighter than it would be when cast in shadow. Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crixus333 View Post
    Hi Zoltan,
    The first thing that popped out to me was your transition values need work...work more on getting the light to blend into the shadow. Another thing I would suggest is being more careful to observe values around the eyes, often they are cast in shadow based on lighting and we tend to want to make the white of the eye brighter than it would be when cast in shadow. Good luck!
    Good advice. I would suggest though with the eyes that he could also add more emphasis with a lighter value on his right eye. This would happen naturally anyway as the light is hitting the right corner of that eye and illuminating the white of his eye, which should be the lightest value in the painting but when you look at it, it is not. Zoltan I also personally think you can add more contrast - make the lights lighter in places and the darks darker. This will make your painting stand out. What we learnt from the masters is that they are creative in their application of value - sometimes light or shade is exaggerated. You don't always have to paint exactly as you see. Keep up the good work.