Thanks

Need advice on how to work in visdev/animation without an art school background

Hi everyone! New user here. I've been looking to join this forum for a while now but wanted to look up information on my own before I came here to ask questions. As it turns out, it's pretty hard to find advice for the situation I'm currently facing, so here goes!

I'm currently finishing up my third year of university and my major has nothing to do with art. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life until last year, basically, when I finally taught myself how to use my drawing tablet and ended up falling in love with making art (I've been running an art blog since last year. If anyone's interested in checking out my work, I can post a link). I eventually discovered careers in visual development and animation and that's when I knew exactly where I wanted to go with my life.

The problem I'm facing right now is this. Not only are the schools I'm looking into extremely expensive (i.e. Sheridan, CalArts, etc.), but I also worry about being able to gain experience in the fields I'm interested in without connections to an art school. Scholarships are few and far between. Internships seem to be impossible to obtain for those who are not attending art school. I'm also graduating from my current university next year, so balancing what I want to do with finding a job will be pretty tricky.

My current plan is this: I'm looking at Sheridan's portfolio requirements as a guideline on what to focus on for my art skills. If possible, I would like to submit a portfolio to the school by next year. If I do get in, I might be able to afford a year there and I'll see how things go from there. Even if I don't get in, I'll still be able to get a better idea of where I stand. It's a strange idea, and if you have any better suggestions, do let me know!

So I guess what I'm asking is where I should go from here and what I should focus on. Is it possible for someone without a background in art to get a job in visdev/animation? If so, what should I do in the meantime to prepare myself?

I'll stop here for now, since this post is getting pretty long. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you very much.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 1,073 Posts
    If you have no background in art, I suggest you start with 3D animation, as it does not rely heavily on art skills...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog