The Art Institute of Orange County California

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The Art Institute of Orange County California

Has anyone heard of the art institute? Just curious.. I'm currently attending the double majoring in media arts and animation as well as game art and design. As for the school, whats nice about it is you have teachers in the industry who teach.... but also comes with that is some of them don't have teaching skills to teach... Does the Art Institute have a reputation that even compares to Art Center? Just curious..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,912 Times in 2,481 Posts
    AIOC doesnt have the same rep as art center....its simply a new school...they didnt start offering a four year program til recently.

I didnt find their career services dept too friendly both times I dealt with them. It was a bit of a hassle and thus I found my employees on cgtalk and conceptart instead.

they do seem to look out for their students though...but the school is new so they will struggle a bit to build relationships with the companies.

OC is a great place to study if you want to work...it is close to just about any kind of creative outlet that you can get paid for...not like studying in savannah georgia or something.

school is what you make of it...Im sure if you work hard there you will be just as good as if you went to art center.

in the defense of your school though..the career dept there is a hundred times more user friendly and company friendly than art centers. The BEST animator I have ever worked with attended your school. That has to say something.

jason

Thanks
    Thank you for the input! I am originally from Orange County... and I've been wanting to go to this school since it is so close to home and its an art school.. I don't have a lot of money so I don't have too many options school wise.. as well as transportation. I've heard a lot of the 9th and 10th quarter students complaining because they didn't have the teachers that we have now.. I know it's a growing school, but I just got through reading the whole Ringling School thread and just about crapped my pants to see what I'm missing out on.

Thanks
    i go to the art institute of colorado...and my impression of the art institutes (and this could be with any art school...but i dont know)...i feel that sure the teachers are industry professionals...but still most of my actual progress is done outside of class. What really dissappoints me in the art institutes is that they are for profit schools...and sometimes i feel that gets in the way of my actual education. It feels like once they have your money thats enough for them. And they also seem to take anyone who is able to afford it. Countless people at this school are just plain awful. But besides all the cons...there are some good points to be made. I still feel like the art institutes are good schools worth going to. Sure they might not have the "best" reputation. But i feel what good is a schools rep...if you suck?!? its all up to the artist to show they can do quality work.

Thanks
    I went to the Art institute of Phoenix a few years back through their animation program, after leaving Arizona State University Architecture program. I am currently working as an Animator/Artist for a Game company but, I was very disappointed with the quality of the Art Institute. Now it is true that many of the teachers are industry professionals and some really know what they are doing, but I have to agree with absinthe that they have put a low priority on traditional forms of art (other than figure drawing) and tend to make profit the higest priority. This leads to the school organize itself to conform to the lowest common denominator. I have found there were many students, (as well as classes) that just shouldn't have been at the school.

However, every school is what you make of it (as Jason points out) as college is about learning to invest in yourself. If I had to do it all over again I would probably have chosen another school such as the Art Center over the Art institute.

Success will not come with the school it will come with determination and you can do that anywhere.

Thanks

I'm not sure

Yeah, I have some friends who graduated from both AIPhoenix and Art Center Albuquerque. I hear horrible things about AIPX though, and the only real difference I hear between most AI schools and Art Centers is Art Centers have more organized group efforts, and AI has more requirements for graduation (I'm not even sure if an AC degree would require a Demo Reel, and I've never seen any mention of my AC graduate friend's portfolio, I was rather concerned about it too).

Thanks
    Originally posted by absinthe
    What really dissappoints me in the art institutes is that they are for profit schools...and sometimes i feel that gets in the way of my actual education. It feels like once they have your money thats enough for them. And they also seem to take anyone who is able to afford it.

ALL SCHOOLS ARE IN IT TO MAKE MONEY.

Thanks
    Art Center is a big name school [you're talking about the school in pasadena, right?] thats very well known. Its not always for the best because some people refuse to hire grads or have an extremely negative view of the school.

if you want to supplement your education, i suggest

los angeles academy of figurative art - http://www.laafigart.com/ - you cant get a degree from here, but they have some of the best teachers around. kevin chen teaches there as well as my friend kinman chan. other if i remember right, mike hussar, glenn villpuu and paul wee are teaching there too.

Last edited by seb; February 22nd, 2003 at 05:45 AM.

Thanks
    I attend the Art Institute of Los Angeles. It's actually not bad, although I wish the teachers would be a little harder, but then again I'm only in my 2nd quarter. I have noticed that my more advanced teachers are cracking down a bit [I have transfer credits from my other college].

Just recently I've been getting guidance from a couple of my professors. One of them worked on background layout for Spirit, and the other was an animator for Duckman and Rugrats. They seem genuinely intent on helping their determined students prosper in the industry. The career services center is supposedly pretty nice as well. A few of the older students that I know have gotten quite a few internships at some well-known companies.

But like the guy said above me, you can't really depend on a school for everything. It's all on how much effort you put into it in AND out of it. You can go to a not-so-great school and still do great. Most studios don't give two-shits about your degree [at least from what I hear], as long as you can get the job done and get it done right.

Hope that helped some.

Thanks
    Our school has just gone nohting but downhill this quarter. The computer are not working, this is the WORST tech support the school has ever had... and the school is starting to have not enough equiptment to accomidate the students.. Maybe I'm just noticing this because it's finals week, but this school seriously needs to get it's act together. It's has gone to the point where people are starting to ask for tuition refunds for computer lab classes, because of the problems with the computers.

Thanks
    heh thats my school! lol. to tell you the truth it was a P.O.S. when i first started, but it has gotten better by 10 fold. Mostly due to our new director of animation mrs. Kelly bea cooper. She really watches out for us, get us trips to studios and pretty much tells everything to us straight up. We've also gotten some great instructors, especially the blizzard entertainment guys. I'm currently finishing up my media art and animation bachelors program in like 4-5 months. then its time to find a job...

and in regards to your complaint about the tech support... yea i know that sucks. The schools just going through major growing pains. I guess just try and deal with it as best you can. but i do most of my work at home, on my home equipment, don't really rely on the schools equipment when mines faster.

-lil qoh small world, seeing you posting here heh... my other handle on the aiforums is ming bob

You know i had to same feelings you're having when i first started. But i came to the realization that its all about what you put into it.

So also my advise to you would be find a strong group of friends in your class that are as passionate about their craft as you are, and stick with them, do side projects and keep each other motivated. I know its tough with how compressed our quarters are but you need to put in this time... i did.... pretty much try to fill 15-20 pages of sketchbook a week. And sit in on as much life drawing as you can take, preferably sean dangaran, or joe weatherly's class.

And remember in the end its just a race with yourself.

Last edited by S13Drifter; May 8th, 2003 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks
    Yes, Kellie Bea works wonders and is the best! Good luck finding a job too btw. Friends, what are those? It' d be nice to know some people that DON'T draw anime. Yes I think I will start sitting in on the Tuesday workshops more often, I took Sean's class already, it helped me improve lots! Thanks for the suggestions You'd be suprised where you would find me lurking I'm like a virus, I am everywhere

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.