Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Thanks
    @anton... I don't see any quality differences. You're doing great, just keep it up.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haven't done much painting lately
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  387.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  312.3 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really nice sutff Anton, I like the ship design on the last piece. Maybe try to use a little less texture brushes because it can clutter the image a lot and make it very busy. For the lifedrawings, do you have a certain approach/learning goal in mind when you do them? Are you trying to learn more about the anatomy/muscles, or rhythm/flow, movement, construction? It's good to have something to focus on, I can highly recommend studying some Michael Hampton and then trying to apply those lessons in the lifedrawing sessions, you can print some pages of the book to keep as examples on the table next to your sketchbook. I did this a lot for the different muscles of the body, I then tried to find the muscles from my reference on the model. By having a set approach, you'll learn more effectively and with more structure, instead of just randomly drawing the figure which you're seeing, which will help too, but not as quickly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dennis! With the life drawings I'm usually trying to familiarize myself with the forms and proportions but I probably should focus on anatomy more. I'm going to give your suggestion a try!

Here two more paintings:
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  170.5 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  221.7 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis van Kessel View Post
    Really nice sutff Anton, I like the ship design on the last piece. Maybe try to use a little less texture brushes because it can clutter the image a lot and make it very busy. For the lifedrawings, do you have a certain approach/learning goal in mind when you do them? Are you trying to learn more about the anatomy/muscles, or rhythm/flow, movement, construction? It's good to have something to focus on, I can highly recommend studying some Michael Hampton and then trying to apply those lessons in the lifedrawing sessions, you can print some pages of the book to keep as examples on the table next to your sketchbook. I did this a lot for the different muscles of the body, I then tried to find the muscles from my reference on the model. By having a set approach, you'll learn more effectively and with more structure, instead of just randomly drawing the figure which you're seeing, which will help too, but not as quickly.
    I have to ask the both of you guys this question; is it bad if I treat my studies (and life drawings) more as a "looking exercise" instead of having a specific learning goal in mind? One of the biggest lessons I learned in college is the idea of drawing/painting what I see, instead of drawing/painting what I think it should look like.

I do a lot of master studies, and it's been pointed out that I should approach the master studies here in CA with specific goals in mind. I never really thought of it that way before. When I started the master studies here in CA, I kind of treated it as a) looking exercise, like the way I described above and b) a mental break from any illustrations I'm working on.

What do you guys think? should studies/life drawings be treated like you are specifically studying for something, or can it be treated as an exercise like what I mentioned above?

Thanks
    Edgarej: I think there is value to both approaches. But I believe if you have a certain learning goal in mind that you will learn more, because you're actively asking yourself questions and trying to figure something out. If youre just looking at lines and angles you are not really trying to understand what it is you are studying. But they are very good for training your eye to see more accurately, also for learning to see values. So they do have some value for sure. I also just do these studies from time to time because it's a very relaxing and easy thing to do. The active studies cost a lot more energy.

The point you make about drawing what you see instead of what you think it should look like is a valid point, however that more is aimed at students that think in symbols, for instance they draw an eye like theyve seen it in logo's as simple shapes. I would say that if you learn to construct your drawings you use a combination of drawing/painting what you see, and also draw/paint what you *know* it should look like.

In the end a lot of painters just use 100% references and therefore can just study 100% based on lines and angles, however if you want to ever be able to invent your own stuff, you'll need a whole new layer of understanding, where you understand why all the lines are going at the angles they're going and why the light/shadow shapes actually look the way they do.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah I agree with Dennis, try to always be analytical of whatever you're studying and try not to fall into the habit of mindlessly copying stuff. Whenever I'm doing artist studies I'm focusing on design language, mark making, colours or whatever I want to gain from that specific artist.

I've been trying to get into mech design, nobody's doing mechs anymore.
    Name:  img20181125_14431604.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  294.0 KBName:  img20181125_14423425.jpg
Size:  252.0 KBName:  img20181125_14425516.jpg
Size:  303.6 KBName:  img20181125_14443377.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  298.8 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @anton and @dennis... thanks guys, I'll try to be more proactive with my studies.

Thanks
    Started a couple paintings:
    Name:  8_v1 copy.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  397.0 KBName:  8_v2 copy.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  390.7 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm done with these for now, I didn't render the other one as well as the other

Name:  8_v1 copy.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  83.3 KBName:  8_v2 copy.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  92.6 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cities look great, really nice colour usage.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14