Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #363: Alien Fauna Series Part III: Flocking Aerial Speedsters - WIPs Thread

COW #363: Alien Fauna Series Part III: Flocking Aerial Speedsters - WIPs Thread

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #362: Alien Fauna Series Part III: Flocking Aerial Speedsters

Brief:
    We're travelling to a distant alien planet inhabited by many bizarre and yet facsinating creatures roaming the lands, soaring the skies, and swimming the seas. This new series will be set to start off the new year based solely on sci-Fi creature design. The basic theme behind this series, in addition to alien fauna; is land, sea, and air, so each creature we'll be designing is primarily found in one of these three elemental areas. We're taking to the skies for our last creature.

In the skies these creatures are often mistaken for masses of large clouds that dart through the atmosphere at high speeds. They congregate together to form massive aerial colonies that confuse and confound any would be predators. Their bodies are built for speed and coupled with their massive flocks make for an effective defense mechanism. Which is beneficial as their bodies are actually fragile, making them very vulnerable when alone. For this round you are required to design these creatures. It isn't absolutely necessary to draw an entire flock of these creatures for your entry, but keep in mind that this is an important part of the creature's lifestyle.

Round Requirements:
    -Spends the entirety of it's life in the air
    -can travel at high speeds
    -frail bodies
    -travels in massive flocks

Deadline:
    Saturday March 12, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    ...to be posted...

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Have a gander through hundreds of winning entries from previous topics at Creature of the Week at our Winners Gallery!
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I found two of the criteria can be a bit contradictory - creatures which are fast are usually ones that need to rest a lot. So having that in mind I tried to find a solution for a fast yet durable creature design.

They live in two versions, the slim one and the bloated one. They can produce a kind of gas, lighter than the air, which kind of makes them a balloon and allows them to stay in the air without any body strength. In the bloated state they can carry the weight of themselves and the weight of another one. That's the reason why usually two of them build a very strong couple among the swarm - one will hunt while the other can rest. If the swarm moves on, they take the bloated ones with them - that's the only reason they still got legs.
    Obviously they are live bearing, since breeding is rather difficult in the air. They only have maybe one or two children in one throw, but those develop fast. The mother stays in the bloated version until they can fully fly themselves.

Name:  Swarm03.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  Swarm05.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  133.1 KB
    Last edited by Orm Irian; February 29th, 2016 at 05:27 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 550 Posts
    Wow, I was really hoping some folks would show up for this one.
    Name:  Sonic-Winged-Murmuration.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  130.0 KB
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nightwing-swarm
    The nightwings are a class of insectoid creatures which travel in swarms of 150-200. The swarm is lead by a nightwing alpha which has a distinct white marker on its forehead. Alphas are born into the swarm and start leading the swarm when they come of age.
    Man its been a while. cheers ppl. awesome work as usual people
    Name:  dive bomber.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  365.1 KB
    Sketch Book | Facebook Art Page | | DeviantArt
    Behance |ArtStation | | DrawCrowd | Personal Website |
    I am available for freelance .Please contact me at gibyjoseph1990@gmail.com

Thanks
    Name:  Alien Fauna COW.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  158.3 KB
    Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, everyone is ahead of me, lol...

orm irian - not too sure how aerodynamic the arms will be

scorge - my mind blows

giby - the protrusion on his head (the two white balls) is supposed to be oriented vertical, correct? I keep reading it as being oriented as horizontal, so there's slight perspective/proportion issue there

vegasmike - digging that sketch so far....

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish it since I'm doing eow as well as chow, but I will definitely try...
    Here are my notes for this cow;
    Name:  2016-03-COW-363-Concept-01.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  103.1 KB

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @scorge:
    Looks awesome! Really love that you show them hunting a bigger prey, it looks so epic. Also the lighting gives the whole scene something very dramatic, well done. I feel like the huge size difference isn't that greatly visible yet though - maybe you could show some picking on the bigger creature?

@giby:
    Love the description and love the creature design. That leader function is really something cool. Maybe you could try to modify the background creatures a bit, at the moment they are quite obviously a copy and therefore feel a bit generic / lazy.

@VegasMike:
    Already really love that head and the flow of the creature!

@edgarej:
    Hope you can make it!
    Really love your thoughts and different creature approaches, they all like great already in their way... Looking forward to seeing more!

Name:  Swarm08.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  191.9 KB
    Last edited by Orm Irian; March 5th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harveester 4.jpg 
Views:	1706 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	2181420
    Last edited by Inanem; March 5th, 2016 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Lots of neat designs this round =D. Hope I can finish mine in time.

Inspiration was the demoiselle crane which flies for days way above the Himalayan mountains. In the flock they look similar to a mesocyclone. The top and bottom ones help to 'carry' or allow the ones in the middle to rest. They have a larger chest to allow them to breathe deeper as they never truly rest like other creatures. Very large wing span so they can catch any thermals which allows them to expend less energy as well as attain greater heights away from larger predators. They are a fragile but elegant creature.

Name:  CHOW 362.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  192.9 KB

Thanks
    So, here's my process (a part of it as I haven't really finished!)

Name:  COWChallenge - Aerial Speedster - Sketch1.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  352.8 KBName:  COWChallenge - Aerial Speedster - Sketch2.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  329.6 KBName:  COWChallenge - Aerial Speedster - Sketch3.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  265.8 KB

I tried to merge the aerodynamic look, with the ability to stay on the air all its life. (And the first thought was the hot air ballons). A bit difficult i have to admit, but well, this is what I have done until now u_u.

I really think that the other works posted here are really good! and it seems almost everyone has something already defined! I especially liked the color scorge added to the illustration!! Looks awesome! and the design of giby's creature is great too!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AbrahamDHR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well guys, It's going to be a busy week for me this coming week, so I'm out of this competition... I was going to speed paint something today but I didn't even get started and today happened to be my only free day left this week... oh well, so is life...

Abraham - love the aerodynamic look

NWolf - love the sketches so far. I love those birds you used for inspiration btw

Inanem - nice sketch... what's the bubble looking thing?

Orm - love the colors you added...

Hopefully soon I could actually submit something for this challenge...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can't really draw to save my life but that's kind of why I'm here I guess! I've got my tablet on the way and will be home in a couple of days to get started on this. Bit close to the deadline but since I work at home I think I'll be able to get a lot of work done in time.

Used to spend hours and hours browsing COW and marvelling at the entries and it's a little sad that the number of entries has fallen off, but no doubt in my mind it'll get back to where it was some day.

Thanks
    Name:  Flie.png
Views: 1320
Size:  148.6 KB
    It is sketchy and rough, which is exactly what the rules say not to do, but oh well, it's a first try.

Thanks
    Name:  Alien Fauna COW.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  98.3 KB

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's my final..Not happy with it so I probably won't submit it for voting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks

flying Spaghettimonster

Name:  Creature.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  109.6 KB

Finally found some time again! I experimented with some shapes and ended up with this.. maybe a bit weird looking but hey, it´s supposed to be some alien creature, isn´t it?
    I really love your entries so far! And VegasMike, I think it would be a shame not to submit it^^ I especially like the shapes and the colors, though maybe it would look even better with a littlebit more volume? I think your sketch is also awesome, maybe you could try to get some of the initial vibe back?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to YaschaZelunar For This Useful Post: