Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a bit disappointed on this one. I clicked on it expecting a ship, canoe or something. I love the landscape you've created. Nice work there. I hope you're planning on adding more to it. A ship, animals, town, something?

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

funny

funny I was thinking the same last night/morging, but I couldn't come up with something but now I have something, so 'll add it later on, I think it's to boring a landscape alone help me out what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The form and value structure of this image are very solid, great job. My only complaint is that it looks completely monochromatic. There are no changes of temperature in any of the blues (say from a warmer aqua range to the very cool almost indigo range).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector Lee
    The form and value structure of this image are very solid, great job. My only complaint is that it looks completely monochromatic. There are no changes of temperature in any of the blues (say from a warmer aqua range to the very cool almost indigo range).
    Thank you very much Inspector Lee, These things are really helping me out, I see that it isn't perfectly right but I couldn't say why. I guess I have to learn about color theory much more, have you've got any info over where to buy good books?

And is there someone who could tell me how the work well with photoshop color picker for the right tones. Cause I'm getting a headacke to find the right color's for the right value etc...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the cold silence of this picture. its a nice atmosphere, if you add something, make sure it doesnt pop out too much. if you add the ship, i'd suggest to place it in the farther background on the right. shouldnt be too concrete either, more vague and vanishing.
    i love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way I work is, when I'm going to pick a color, I use the dropper tool to select the the color that will be directly Adjacent to where I'll be painting next. I double click that (in the foreground color square) to bring up the picker. Then, While I'm moving the cursor around in the picker, I'm watching the "split screen" square (small upper right square in the picker box) to see how the color I'm picking (upper half) looks next to the color it will be placed next to on my painting (lower half). This way you're picking colors that relate to the actual colors in your piece, rather than the colors you "think" are in your piece. Another good rule of thumb for color selection is when you are changing value, also change either temperature or saturation (how muted or pure the color is).
    As far as books, I've always found it more helpful to just look at how other really good illustrators do it. I didn't find learning color theories helped me a great deal (maybe I'm just a little thick )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that looking is often the best way to learn, but I'm color blind (I see colors but not all of them) and this is why I don't trust my eyes fully, so I rather stick with some rules then trust what I often see, but I trust as much as I dare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that explains some things. Don't let it get you down, I have a good friend who is also a great illustrator and concept artist (he worked at ILM for 5 years). And he is mildly color blind (has trouble distinguishing certain colors) A really great book on color theory (a lot to grasp because it's very thorough) is "Theory and Use of Color" by Luigina De Grandis (I probably learned the most useful information from this book) The other 2 I'd suggest are the standard color bibles for painters: "The Elements of Color" by Johannes Itten and " Interaction of Color" by Josef Albers. (these 2, I'm sure, are still in print and should be availabe in any good library) There is one other book by Faber Birren that I can't remember the title of. Maybe someone else here recalls it. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You made my day!!! Really great information, I think I have the same degree of colorblindness you're friend has, I can't really tell myself if things are this or that it's just to vaguelly (if I spell it right). But you're really helping me out THANKS A LOT!

now I need some time to giv it all a shot, stupid other thing you always have to do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another suggestion I might make, is to have a friend (preferably an artist) help you make a set of custom swatch palettes for photoshop (one for each color ie: reds, purples , blues etc.) that gradate from warm to cool as you move left to right. That way you can pick a color from there (knowing if it's warmer or cooler) and then adjust it's value or muting further in the standard picker. Otherwise, I think it's just too difficult to use the standard PS color picker, if you're colorblind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

could you tell me if I'm right here? cause if I do i know how I'll have to work with it, if I don't i'll try again

for the warm and the cool I pulled the slider to red for warm and to the green for cool and for the chroma I slidded from left to right in the big color box, just can't figure out what vertically means in the big box, if you can still follow me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I understand your question. The confusion stems from the fact that, when we speak of warm or cool, we are speaking of a relative relationship but there is an absolute "warmest" and "coolest" on the color wheel. The coolest color on the color wheel (in my opinion) would be a deep blue right on the edge of indigo. So as you move towards this ,from a middle blue, you are going cooler. As you move more towards the green you're getting warmer (so on your example the warmer color at the top should be the teal/aqua, and the cooler color at the bottom should be a blue right on the edge of indigo, say a periwinkle) It's confusing because as you cross this "absolute coolest" threshold into the purples (heading towards red) you're getting warm again. That means from that absolute coolest color you get warmer as you head in either direction (either towards the red or the green) The same thing happens on the warm side of the wheel. The warmest color , middle yellow (in my opinion), gets cooler as it heads towards both the red and the green. I hope this explains it without making your brain hurt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm beginning to understand what you're saying, I'm at work right now so I can't draw anything when i'm back home i'll going to figure out how it works, i'll keep you informed,

Greetz Roy

ohh by the way, my head splashed of all this information

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, glad to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's really great information Inspector Lee! Thank you for taking the time to so thoroughly help Niva, it has helped me as well.

As a critique on your landscape, the shapes are really appealing to me. The only part that throws me off slightly is the lack of texture. I am not sure by looking at the forms themselves if they are made of ice or stone. The color definitely says ice, but the form could show ice somewhat more as well. I think introducing some very subtle hints to clarify that would be a good tweak.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.