Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    The level of patience you must possess to churn out these clean sketches is remarkable. How many of these sketches do you do a day?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Giantano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have to admit, I'm slightly more impressed by your ability to compose your pencils and erasers in the photographs, as if to say "Nah, brah, I bashed this out in five minutes on my desk before I had to run somewhere. Left my stuff neatly thrown on top it and just had time for a quick 'n' dirty sharp 'n' well-lit celly pic. Ain't no thing." I especially like the bottle of ink accompanying the pencil sketches.

I do like your Steam and Light designs, though. Looks like an intriguing alt-history setting. But I'm slightly confused as to why there's a graphite-looking social media logo photoshop-stamped on those and the rest. That and the pencil arrangements even make me wonder how much or how many of your sketches - besides the obvious 'aged and yellowed' pieces - are pencil-and-paper, or digital art superimposed on a photo of a sheet of paper (and pencils and erasers and...) 'for effect'. The pencil textures and amount of effort for negligible benefit make me think 'physical', but still...
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantano View Post
    The level of patience you must possess to churn out these clean sketches is remarkable. How many of these sketches do you do a day?
    Thank you! I sketch everyday but I don't post all of them, only the cleaner ones. The ones I post are usually the 3rd or 4th sketch of the day. The first 2 are usually a mess while I'm still waking up. The character designs are usually a sketch of something I'm revising, as it's a back and fourth with the client, so they tend to be cleaner because I've drawn the same creature in different variations many times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I have to admit, I'm slightly more impressed by your ability to compose your pencils and erasers in the photographs, as if to say "Nah, brah, I bashed this out in five minutes on my desk before I had to run somewhere. Left my stuff neatly thrown on top it and just had time for a quick 'n' dirty sharp 'n' well-lit celly pic. Ain't no thing." I especially like the bottle of ink accompanying the pencil sketches.

I do like your Steam and Light designs, though. Looks like an intriguing alt-history setting. But I'm slightly confused as to why there's a graphite-looking social media logo photoshop-stamped on those and the rest. That and the pencil arrangements even make me wonder how much or how many of your sketches - besides the obvious 'aged and yellowed' pieces - are pencil-and-paper, or digital art superimposed on a photo of a sheet of paper (and pencils and erasers and...) 'for effect'. The pencil textures and amount of effort for negligible benefit make me think 'physical', but still...
    haha ya the pics are arranged like that on purpose, but it takes a few seconds of just getting rid of the eraser bits and moving my other stuff out the way. I guess I got used to doing it.

The alt history story sketches were drawn on regular paper, and the paper texture is thrown on after in photoshop. I liked the age brown as it fits the theme of the story. I used them as a part of a series to test interest in the world i'm building. That was about a year ago now, and I have now a small team and we are just finished with writing the 3rd chapter of the story. However, I need to redesign all the characters, because as we were writing the story, I saw them differently in my mind and kind of "got to know them" better. Theres some blurb about the world and project here: http://jamesngart.com/imperialsteamandlight.html

Thanks
    Name:  July14.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  211.9 KB

Cleaned sketch for Hermit Gecko concept design. Its the 3rd sketch so the lines are cleaner, normaly I draw much messier

Thanks

Thanks
    Really cool studies and I love your sketches. Super dynamic poses! I love the old paper backgrounds too. How long does it take you to do those full sketches (like post 31 and 79)? Are your body studies exclusively from proko or loomis head and hands?
    Check out my Sketchbook Feel free to critique.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qothw View Post
    Really cool studies and I love your sketches. Super dynamic poses! I love the old paper backgrounds too. How long does it take you to do those full sketches (like post 31 and 79)? Are your body studies exclusively from proko or loomis head and hands?
    Hey qothw thanks for the comments! Yes the studies were from proko AND loomis head and hands. Great eye haha, that's literally the 2 only sources I used for them and you got them both

Thanks
    Name:  Aug04.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  221.8 KB
    Little sketch of the Hammer Hand before enslavement

Thanks
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  255.7 KB

First draft sketches of some characters

Thanks
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  238.7 KB

Some steampunk character sketches. first drafts

Thanks
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  263.2 KB
    Monster sketch

Thanks
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  275.6 KB

Steampunk foodtruck wrap sketch

Thanks
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  259.0 KB

Some failed designs of a villain character. Still room for improvements.

Thanks
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  251.5 KB
    Revised sketch, still needs more work though

Thanks
    Name:  19.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  218.7 KB
    Steampunk adventurer sketch

Thanks
    Name:  29.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  234.9 KB
    Inventor Sketch

Thanks
    Really digging how much detail you put into your character's clothes. Some very nice line quality too!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DESQUOLOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not a very big fan of that anime'esque style, but you definitely have some good concepts here.

Keep up! 👍
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DESQUOLOR View Post
    Really digging how much detail you put into your character's clothes. Some very nice line quality too!
    Thanks so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    I'm not a very big fan of that anime'esque style, but you definitely have some good concepts here.

Keep up! 
    Thanks! Appreciate it!

Thanks
    Awesome, especially since it looks like actual concept art. Do you do any studies as well?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Coughlan View Post
    Awesome, especially since it looks like actual concept art. Do you do any studies as well?
    Thanks so much! Ya I did a handful on head and human body. its actually in the thread too mixed in there. i think it starts in page 3?

I should change the title of the thread, I have some sketches for my comicbook, some studies that I did because after I did sketches for my comic I realized I have lots to improve on. And also included some commission work which is concept art (my main job), figured itd fit in this site since its conceptart . org.

Thanks
    Awesome,, I like your work, especially the characters costume, and the drawings on old paper are just great

31. The Following User Says Thank You to jipoint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jipoint View Post
    Awesome,, I like your work, especially the characters costume, and the drawings on old paper are just great
    Thanks so much! Well the paper was actually added in photoshop to give the aged feeling after I scanned it. I thought it suited the theme. Thanks alot tho

Thanks
    Holy crap, your studies are outta control. Awesome job!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Fraser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A lot of really nice stuff here - love the line quality and clarity in your drawings, especially the mechanical stuff. Detail and presentation are top notch too.

One area I think needs a lot of attention is the way you draw legs, and it's not strictly an "anatomy" problem - it's more about gesture, form and proportion. If you want to stylise the legs, they still need to look vaguely "correct" otherwise they'll stick out and appear obtrusively wrong (as they do in the pic in #108 - particularly the knee area).

It's definitely more difficult to do this sort of thing traditionally because you simply can't play with it as much as you could if it was done digitally, so a tip of the hat to you for sticking with a less forgiving medium!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave MacLeod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fraser View Post
    Holy crap, your studies are outta control. Awesome job!
    Thanks! Still got tons to learn, but appreciate it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacLeod View Post
    A lot of really nice stuff here - love the line quality and clarity in your drawings, especially the mechanical stuff. Detail and presentation are top notch too.

One area I think needs a lot of attention is the way you draw legs, and it's not strictly an "anatomy" problem - it's more about gesture, form and proportion. If you want to stylise the legs, they still need to look vaguely "correct" otherwise they'll stick out and appear obtrusively wrong (as they do in the pic in #108 - particularly the knee area).

It's definitely more difficult to do this sort of thing traditionally because you simply can't play with it as much as you could if it was done digitally, so a tip of the hat to you for sticking with a less forgiving medium!
    Thanks Dave! Ya I know I got to brush up on anatomy alot, knees are such weird shapes, and feet too. I'm doing studies on feet right this weekend. The pic you mentioned, he's actually wearing pants. Though everyone seem to think that's his bare legs haha. Its mainly a design choice cause the game will be in low poly and small screens so I decided less folding fabric would be better, so I made the character wear tight pants but just exaggerate the shape of the legs. So the knee is a bit clumpy due to wearing pants. But regardless, for sure need to work on my anatomy. Gesture too will be a challenge, I can forsee I will run into alot of issues when I do my comic book as the poses need to be dynamic...

But thanks so much for the feedback. Compliments are great and always encouraging, but it's critiques that will really help me improve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4