Thanks

miguelnarayan - Color and Light 1.1

Hello all.
    This is my study, I did a drawing of the face first to get proportion right and then went to paint, on every assignment I try to use different brushes and different tools, be it photoshop brushes or new software like corel painter, I think it's good to break out of the comfort zone and find new powerful tools that we may never have come across should we not have risked it.

In this study, I learned not only that the light hits the direct planes of the face to which it hits, but also a lot of anatomy, I learned the shapes of the eyes and around the nose, how they hide into a taper shape from the nose into the eyesocket, it's trivial, I know, but I did not think they were so deep that they would have their own strong shadows when a light was set up like this, thus, making me learn more about anatomy. I learned about subsurface scattering and where the light hits the face and bounces or not bounces back off, such as the cheek, where we have more skin and flesh, and less on the bone areas, like the chin and other materials less reflective, like the beards.
    My approach was to do a general painting of what I saw and then search for separate things to narrow down in the list: core shadows, then moved to reflect light, etc, etc. Thanks for looking.

Name:  self.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  119.6 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow, awesome textures! This is a really cool start, miguelnarayan. It looks like you've captured the shapes of the mass lights and shadows well, and the lighting is so dramatic!
    With all that cool texture though, my eye doesn't know where to go. Try softening some of the edges to make the strongest hard edges pop more. Play around with the soft transitions between the shadow masses on the left side of the face, and try to look deeper into some of the subtle transitions that happen within the light masses.
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Trent Rommel is right, you need to blend the values make variations on edges from hard to soft, if the ear is not an important point of interest you can soft the blending, and if the eye is a focal point you need to be more precise in the subtles changes of light, make it more 3D.
    "Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself"
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

Thanks
    I agree with trent and the Motato about the eye. The values of eye on the left should be a bit darker as that eye has more of the cast shadow from the light source from the right. The textures you have created are sublime. Take another try at it and see what you can come up with.