Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

akky111 - Composition 1.1

Hello all,

My name is Akky and this is my Composition 1.1 thread. I was a total noob to digital painting and I had a hard time painting. I've never really painted in my life, not even digital, but I'm positive that I've got what it takes, like everyone, and if I keep at it, I'll definitely improve

I initially tried to keep my paintings to one hour, but I couldn't put in all the values to my satisfaction within that time. It took me nearly 4 hours on each one. I know it is supposed to be time-bound, and I'm trying to cut down the time I take for each painting. I have compositional issues and tend to mess up analyzing the masses and laying them out properly. I can totally see what's wrong after I have completed the painting!! But, more than perfection I am trying to work on my consistency that will eventually get me closer to perfection.

Please review and comment. Good day.
    Name:  Rembrandt - Portrait of Nicolaes Ruts.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  99.6 KB

Last edited by akky111; July 5th, 2016 at 03:10 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
Views: 2143
Size:  99.6 KB

This was my first painting study, ever!! It felt like I was gonna crash and burn, but I spent about 4 hours to study this. I know it is meant to be time-bound for a reason and I am definitely working on doing this faster once I'm used to it.

I never studied art properly and took some time to figure out whose painting am I gonna study first. I always liked how Rembrandt created interesting contrasts in his images, so I wanted to do the first couple of studies on his paintings.

The things that I noticed while working on this study:

1. The way he inter-played between light and dark. Just amazing.
    2. Focus- The posture set up and the facial features in light. The way that the viewers eye definitely goes to what is the most prominent feature in the painting first and then to the next important feature and so on. I like how light is used to describe the order of importance. There might be a better way to explain this.
    3. The level of detail he used.

Comments and critics welcome.
    Last edited by akky111; July 5th, 2016 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks
Views: 2174
Size:  102.8 KB

Thanks
    Hey! I really like your study, the hard hours you put into it show! I'm a complete newbie here so I might be off with this assessment, but I feel like you could have stopped earlier with this study and still gotten the value out of it. It looks amazing, but I hope you won't stop yourself from posting your other pieces without all the detail completed. I'd hate to see you stuck on Comp 101 for 4 times longer than needed because you couldn't bring yourself to post something that looked pretty solid after the first hour.

The details also detract from some areas where the values are a bit off - the left hand and the left side of his beard being too light jumps out. Other than that I can't really find fault with it. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work!

Thanks
    Hey thanks Starlit... Thank you for commenting. and yeah, I am noticing that right now..But it was a struggle just to block the masses as far as I can see. Values slipped my mind somewhere in between.. Oopss..! The whole point of the exercise was to focus on it.. Hehe. I'll definitely keep it in mind.. I have done three more. I'll update it here.

Thanks
    Name:  Caravaggio - Saint Jerome writing.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  108.3 KB

This is my second one. This time I kept in mind about the time and tried to speed things up a bit. IT still took my a good 2-2.5 hours, but I have an inner feeling that I will get good..

While making this painting, I noticed how Caravaggio (like Rembrandt) uses light to his advantage. I really liked how the reflected light was subtly depicted using slightly higher tones (like areas around his hair). This is something of a discovery for me!! I would have definitely gone for a short cut and just made the whole thing immersed in one big blotch of shadow.

I noticed how the drapery has a sense of pattern withing it, floating away from the focus point- his face. I see now that I mistook the highlight over the book, for a lower value. Also for the cloth below it. This might be just me, but I'm really seeing some rhythm and continuity in the picture. I'm talking about how the silhouette is one and complete, leading the eye through various details. The table, then to the cloth, to the book, to the skull, to his stretched out arm, to his face, to his other arm and down towards the drapery. But then again, that is just me.

Looking forward for C&C.

Thanks
    great studies dont worry about how much time you spend you can always spend more than the minimum time required.
    your first study i would saw just be careful with the face on yours there seems to be something off around the chin area. probably the beard may be a tad bit wide.
    and his right hand could of been rendered a bit more other than that great study proportions and edges look right. Did you struggle with the folds in his clothes ? thats what seems off. by the way great studies you look like you know exactly what youre doing
    and for your second study

Thanks
    Thanks Kevin.. Yeah, I did struggle with the folds.. I cant figure out the exact placement of masses, sometimes... Without using grids or lines is like a struggle for me.. I'm looking forward for the day, I can do this with confidence..

Thanks
    same here it is all practice we will get there eventually

Thanks
    Name:  Caravaggio_To_Rename copy.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  163.3 KB This is a Caravaggio study. IMO, his style is in a sense similar to Rembrandt's:- using light to lay down emphasis into his pieces. This one took almost three hours to finish and I kept myself loose all the while I painted this. I knew I had to work upon my speed so I tried to paint fast. But still it took me close to three hours.

While painting this, these were the main things that I noticed:
    1. His usage of light to lay emphasis onto Jesus first as it is the section with the most light. Then onto St. Thomas' face.
    2. The posing: How a proper rhythm was achieved within the posing of the characters, directing our eye towards the wound, how the rhythm of the faces direct our eyes towards it.
    3. Pattern: I noticed the usage of patterns within the drapery. I noticed how the curves of the folds are either keeping the wound within their center, or are emanating from the position of the wound. This is leading the eye without much effort into the action within the scene.
    4. Variety: I liked how there is much variety within the scene, yet the background is economic. No unnecessary clutter in the background, while the foreground holds all the variety.
    5. Unity: I can't say this for sure, but there is some unity with the placement of all the faces within the picture. It is like all the faces at one side, and the thing that has their attention balanced to the other side within a diagonal placed from top-right to bottom-left. This can also be expressed as a form of balance within the scene, if you think about it.

Comments are most welcome.

Thanks
    Also some stuff that I did learn from this.

1. How insanely complicated (or well designed?) the human form is. I have been looking at people who converse with me in daily life, differently, ever since I started with this assignment. I have been watching how deep their eyes are, how the lights react to their skin, how would I be painting them right there if they were a model, and so on.. This has definitely made me come closer to a better appreciation of the human form and sense of 'frustration', if you will, in my lesser understanding of it.

2. How incredibly talented the painters are that they can paint in colors..!!! Really.!! I have enough problems just dealing with grayscale, hehe..!! I'll get there eventually.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to akky111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great great study! it almost looks identical to the original . your values seem pretty close, really close. the guy to the far right his shadow on the cheek can be a bit darker. other than that proportions look spot on and edges do too. you definitely capture the forms extremely well and have a great understanding of it too. not much to say but keep on going

btw whats your primary brush ? and how do you go about customizing its setting ?

Thanks
    Name:  Rembrandt - An Old Man copy.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  290.4 KB

This is the portrait of a bearded man by Rembrandt. I took slightly more than two hours to complete this. I struggled a lot here. As you can see, I wasn't able to capture the essence of the man's life, reflecting from his eyes here. In fact, I cannot even identify what it is that is making it unique. It might be a spot of highlight, a slightly raised lid, I have no idea!

Rather than the obvious usage of focused light to highlight the primary feature (which here, is the man's face and beard) I like the usage of economy in this painting. There is a rhythmic usage of patterns within the folds. I tried to capture the major essence of the painting and left the lesser important features out like the details within his clothes, purposely, just to recreate the general feel of the painting.

I am trying to understand something here. The major objective with this assignment was to understand the principles, and I guess, portraits may not the best places to look. I think landscapes provide much more elaborate visions of the principles. So my next is going to be a landscape.

@Kevin: Thanks man.. Your paintings are getting much better too!! Keep going.

As far as my brush settings, I use a paintbrush (I think) majorly.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  87.3 KB

This just gives a general feel to the strokes like (I guess) a traditional paint brush would. I keep the opacity, set to pressure. I normally see a lot of artists use this setting. It works for me.
    Last edited by akky111; July 5th, 2016 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you! Its great to see more members of this workshop critiquing each others works. It makes it more enjoyable and we all learn new stuff. And i never thought about using a regular brush lol im gonna try it next time and that is under which preset?

As well portraits can be great to learn from as it contains subtleties of forms ,accurate proportions and shapes .

Thanks
    Attachment 2199919

Attachment 2199919

Sorry that I couldn't update here for a long time. This is a Rembrandt study. It took me around 5 hours to complete this as I wanted to see how he rendered his clothes and finer facial features. The points that I think have come across while doing this study is discussed below:

Emphasis: As with all Rembrandts, there is the unique style of laying emphasis on certain features to highlight in the composition using light or more precisely 'falling' light, like his face, which I think is more accentuated with the little white collar thing that goes around his neck. Also a little emphasis on the silhouette with a slight halo around, separating the subject from the background.
    There is also more emphasis in the face with the amount of details in the face, as compared to the rest of the subject. More contrast here too.
    Economy: No unnecessary details put; the picture seems very economic as it just makes the viewer focus on just his face and no other things around.
    Repetition: The wavery pattern repeats around his neck inside his collar-y thing. I think it looks a bit more pleasing aesthetically.
    Variety: This factor is not very accentuated but still, I think there is some variety between his face, his collar and the rest of his body.

Okay that's all I can figure out.

All C&C welcome. Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Hey, these are wonderful—you've really managed to capture the likeness of the face which is no small feat.

Your value are pretty spot-on, so the critiques I have are only minor nitpicks: The halo around his hat is just a tad too bright and is getting to be a little outliney. The lines in his collar should have just a wee bit less contrast in the,, notably the two dark lines near the middle.

I'm also wondering if the sponginess along the edge of his collar could be solved with a highly-opaque, brush of similar texture density since those flecks of value should be pretty sharp.

The only incongruity in shape I can see is that you've drawn his hand a little large, but I think that should easily be fixed.

Beautiful study! I hope to see more from you.

Thanks
    Wow.. Thank you sus.thai.. These are really very precise feedbacks and I'm grateful for them. Thank you. I'll be more careful next time.

Thanks
    Name:  George Hemming Mason - Landscape.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  124.1 KB

I wanted to try a quicker study, just to know how quick I can get it done. This is a landscape by George Mason. I did this in half an hour. I wanted to see if I'm able to pull this off in half an hour, but as you can see it ddnt. The smaller, finer details are not put in place since I had to stick to the default brush. But I'm guessing that I can complete the study in under 4 hours.

Things I noticed:
    1. Rhythm: There is a rhythm in the placement of the trees and in the perspective they are in. Notice the way their top portions are merged at the top. I think they help to lead the eye from tree to tree.
    2. Economy: Through a unique placement style, the artist is actually leading our eye to the clearing away in the mid-ground, at the lake. Also there are not much details in the trunk of the trees or the grass in the ground. I think that is to lead the eye to the mid-ground where the focus of the picture is at.
    3. Pattern: From the tree layouts in the foreground, to the tree reflections in the lake to the grass in the foreground, there are patterns existing all throughout the picture.
    4. Variety; Variety exists between the tones and the values used in the trees in the foreground, the grass in the foreground, the weed over the lake in the mid-ground and the trees in the background and the sky.
    5. Balance: I think the balance in the picture is more or less horizontal. The lower half of the grass in the foreground is balanced by the trees in the background; as in, the division is horizontal.
    6. Repetition: There is a repeating pattern in the placement of the trees in the foreground and with the pattern of the grass in the ground in the foreground. Also, one can see it in the tree trunks in the reflection over the lake surface in the mid-ground.

Thanks
    Hey,
    your studies are great and yes, that one is very sketchy, but that doesn´t mean it is bad! I am not a professional, but in my observation you managed to got the most important differences in values right. Also the trees are placed in a way, that your study keeps the balance.
    The values of trees on the right side are too dark. The tree on the right side that is almost in the center of the painting has a branch that is a to high placed. The strain is a little bit to thick as well.
    Okay, that is me just nitpicking, keep up the good work!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey,
    your studies are great and yes, that one is very sketchy, but that doesn´t mean it is bad! I am not a professional, but in my observation you managed to got the most important differences in values right. Also the trees are placed in a way, that your study keeps the balance.
    The values of trees on the right side are too dark. The tree on the right side that is almost in the center of the painting has a branch that is a to high placed. The strain is a little bit to thick as well.
    Okay, that is me just nitpicking, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Hey. Thanks bro..!! Yeah.. You're right.. I wonder why I didn't notice them while painting..!!!

Thanks
    Name:  Frazetta - Fighting man of Mars copy.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  380.4 KB

Hello. This is my 7th one. Frazetta is a master with the colors and the lights. And pretty women, hehe. I like the way his paintings reflect the light that's around. Also I think he uses light brilliantly to drive the focus points within the picture.
    1. Rhythm - The rhythm in the way the rock at the bottom converges to the body of the girl and then the man behind her. I think he strategically made the rock as narrowing to the top, sort of like converging into the mass that is above.
    2. Emphasis - The way the emphasis is done on the face and body of the girl using light. The primary emphasis is on the face of the girl, then her body, and then on the body of the warrior and then on his face. We primarily see the seductive / overpowering look / poise from the female warrior. Maybe she is confident that she is well protected with the man behind her.
    3. Variety - There are a lot of variety in the materials that can be seen and the colors used. The upper torso of the girl is tonally different (differently lit) than the rest of her body. Look at the kind of armor that she is wearing. Then see how different his rugged body is compared to the smooth, sultry body of the female. The pattern in his helmet is different than her's. Then we have the long, wide cloth that make up his cape, which is not seen in any other part of the picture. His sword is unique, not seen elsewhere. See the entirely different material in the ground they're in. Very rugged and spiky ground seems very different than the foggy mountain in the background. ie, Different variety in the costumes to be seen. Also in the foreground and the background.
    4. Economy - Ahem, rather the minimal clothes on the girl, I noticed the almost plain background, the rather plain foreground, the simple cape, and the minimal clothing. There could have been more trees in the background or in the foreground. But it would have pulled the emphasis from her face.
    5. Repetition - Though didn't notice the repetition aspect much, I think there is some repetition in the way the light repeats on his abs, the spikes on his helmet, a little bit of repetition in the rock in the foreground, a little more on the costumes of the girl with the little hanging, golden thingies.
    6. Balance - The picture is vertically balanced. We can see a diamond shape inthe middle of the picture starting from the head of the warrior, to his right arm, to the bottom of her knee touching the ground, to the edge of his cape. This can be said to be at the center of the picture. The moon is balanced diagonally with the raised mass of the rock in the foreground.
    7. Continuity - I don't know about this. I think there is a sense of continuity in the direction of the sword, to draw the eye to the focal point, which is the face of the girl.Same with the actions of his cape; balancing the action of the sword in his right hand. Also seen in the spikes on his helmet doing the same action.
    8. Unity - The picture holds true to the principles of design in the picture. Both the silhouettes merge into one creating one piece.

Thank you for the C&C. Looking forward.

Thanks
    Hi, I like you study very much, every value and shape is spot on, but first thing to notice are the eyes, maybe pupils of the eyes are slightly bigger or darker in the original. It makes a very significant change in the look of his eyes.

Thanks
    Hey JD,

Which pic did you notice this in, bro..?? The above pic has his eyes in the shade.. !?

Thanks
    Rembrand Portait of Nicolas Rues

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JasminDaniel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These studies are awesome! It's easy to tell that you put a lot of time and care into each one (even in your half hour study your forms are placed on the canvas really well).

One thing I noticed on your most recent study (number 7 - Frazetta) was that there are a lot of scratchy marks on it, particularly on the man's leg. It shows that you were using a small brush at that point. Now I'm about to make an assumption about your working method (so pardon me if I'm wrong!) but I'm thinking that you tend to use a small sized brush when you can use a larger one to block in major values. If you're trying to paint a whole image with a small brush, that can end up eating a lot of time whereas blocking it in with a large brush and going back in after to smooth and refine it out would be faster. I'm only bringing this up because I think it might speed up your process a bit and cut down the hours

But seriously, great job! Keep going!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to denobrega For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @deno: Wow.. thank you.. i actually used a bigger brush to lay in the underlying darker value. But to lay in the values of the calf muscles, which are lighter than the base color, I used a smaller brush and painted over the darker value. I worked more on the girl's face and left the knee as it was.. hehe. But it means a lot to me that you took the time to point it out. I should have cleaned up that part too.. !!

@jasmindaniels: Yesss..!! You are spot on. I don't know how it missed my eyes. I could have sworn that there was something which distinguished the eyes of the character in the original painting from the study. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. But the size and value attributes are off; I can see it now. Thank you so very much..!!!

Thanks
    Sounds like you've got it down! Start big then fill in the details No seriously, I think you're doing a great job and I love that you're taking everyone's critiques on board. It's just going to make you that much better as an artist. Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing your next study yaaaaaayyyyyy!!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to denobrega For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Great start. Double check your values by squinting, and keep pushing yourself on each one. Your shapes and edges are very good. Keep it up.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello ppl,

Big thanks to @denobrega and @BlackSpot for the feedback.. Much appreciate your time.. I was down with my enthusiasm for a while their.. Was beaten down with boredom and such.. Hehe.. ANyway..

And also, I want to ask you, if the assignment that we are doing serves either of the following purpose:

1. Adhere strictly to the time-frame of 1 hour. Like, whatever you have by an hour, you post it here. You will improve by doing more and more. Analyse the paintings as you go and then one day, you will understand how to create a painting on your own. ..?? So time >> speed >> accuracy...??

OR is it..

2. Take more time if you have to, but get the values as best as you can. Never mind the finer details, but just get as close as you can to the actual image. You will gain speed by doing it more and more and eventually, you will 'gain' speed. So you would be able to complete future paintings or studies in lesser time..????

I am so confused. I take so much time on the studies, I feel guilty. Please advise..?? Also is it ok if I use texture brushes for studies..?? Doing leaves and grasses with the basic brush set is very hard, at least, takes up a lot of time.

Ok. I always wanted to do a Bierstadt study.. This here, I think is a beautiful piece and to me I think it's more of a predecessor to 'concept' art.. In that I think that he created the aenvironment to a concept and I like how he uses the opacity or the level of detail to suggest the things in the further background. I think a lot of concept artists these days are actually following him when they paint.

So since I didn't know either to keep it to 1 hour strictly or to get the values and details as accurate as I can irrespective of the time, I did a 2.5 hour study of the painting.

Name:  Albert Bierstadt - Yosemite Valley.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  117.1 KB

Things I noticed while studying this piece:

1. Rhythm: Looking at the mountains that we flowing into the distance, creating like a diagonal division in the picture.. how the trees in the left, merge into the mountains, which merge to the other side. More or less, I think that there is a rhythm within the rock patterns in the mountains.

2. Emphasis: I would say that the emphasis is on the vacant space in the middle where the light is hit. I'd say that is where the viewer should want to be. The place from where the light is coming is definitely the emphasis area. Also the foreground, I'd say, is kept intentionally dark to get a better framing and hence a better emphasis on the light that is falling in the further background.

3. Variety: I like how there is grass patterns in the ground, leading to the leaves pattern, leading to the rocks pattern, leading to the cloud pattern. Also the points that are away, lack details. So that brings variety in terms of the detail level / focus. There are darker regions and there are lighter regions within the image, I'd say in the right proportion.

4. Economy: Couldn't say much here. I see some economy usage in the lit areas and the area from where the light is coming. In this painting, I think there isn't much economy to it.

5. Repetition: Definitely yess.. There is repetitive patterns mostly observable in the clouds. There are light/dark criss-crossing seen there. Then, there
    is some repetition seen in the tree images to the bottom-right. The same can be seen with the ones on the left. Then the rock patterns repeating itself into the distance. A group of trees in the certain mid-ground also has a repetitive pattern to it.

6. Balance: I like how the picture is balanced. The receding mountain silhouette divides the image diagonally. Also there is a right balance between the light and dark areas in the image. The contrast is beautifully portrayed..!!

7. Continuity: The silhouette is in a 'U' shape, starting from the mountain in the right, which leads to the trees in the ground, to the ground at the left, to the trees in the left and then finally to the mountains at the left. This then recedes away into the depth.

8. Unity: I'd say there is unity with all the elements, though I cannot say for sure about the economy factor. Other than that, I think this is a wonderful image and I have been hoping to study this image for a long time.

I see a lot of flaws now, but looking forward to some C&C.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Name:  Albert Bierstadt - Yosemite Valley2_low.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  64.0 KB

I took some 3 hours to finish this. I still don't know whether to finish it within 1 hour or take the time to get to a point where you are satisfied with the values. Advice??

Also, the things i notices while doing this piece.

1. Rhythm:

2. Emphasis: Like in the previous study, I'd say that the emphasis is on the vacant space in the middle where the light is hit, almost like that's where the viewer would want to be. Also the deers to the bottom-center of the image, are placed at a point of sheer emphasis, them being dark and against the light backdrop. I also like the emphasis from the lighting and the composition; picture has been framed with the darker tones to the side or towards the outer frame and the lighter portion to the center, creating a sense of depth and blocking to the scene.

3. Variety: I like how there is the foliage in the foreground and in the mid-ground, how there is water in the middle, and the mountains in the background and a cloudy, passive sky in the further background.

4. Economy: Not sure about this factor.

5. Repetition: Mostly, I think there is minimal repetition here. Most of the elements are repeated, like 2 or 3 times, like the trees; which stand in groups of three or two, the mountains in the background, where we can see a little bit more of repeated structures; but all-in-all I have to say it looks minimal.

6. Balance: I like how the picture is balanced. The blocking in the image is a "U" shape, like I think. The mountains gently vanish in to the depth with the trees and the whole valley being taken with it. The deers are placed to the center to counter this depth. There is an odd-lying tree-trunk that could be there to counter-act the grass sections which occupy most of the bottom section.

7. Continuity: The silhouette is in a 'U' shape, starting from the mountain in the right, which leads to the trees in the ground, to the ground at the left, to the trees in the left and then finally to the mountains at the left. This then recedes away into the depth. The deers and the vegetation in the bottom go as part of the bottom one-thirds of this picture.

8. Unity: Counting out unity I think this picture is in good unity of the pieces, though I cannot say for sure about economy in the picture, But I definitely under-estimated the level of detail in this painting, hoping to study this in under 1 hour.

Maybe I will gain speed by doing.

Thank you

C&C welcome.

Last edited by akky111; December 7th, 2016 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast