Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice work man. For the witch piece I think the composition could use a bit of work.

-The jar is competing in scale with the focal. It's as big as her and therefore feels as important as her.
    -The image is too left heavy and there's no reason for me to move around the image, the whole right side feels like dead weight
    -The perspective/camera angle chosen is very confusing/disorientating. It'd hard to know if she's doing all this on a table or on the floor, like the jar's bottom lines up with the bottom edge of the picture.
    -Needs more overlapping. Ie put some dolls in front of the cauldron. Adding some spirits, glyphs or runes would also reinforce the story
    -Her cape is tangent to the top of the picture

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yay page 10!

crankshaft: thanks a lot for your feedback, will have it in mind !
    emanuelpepi: thank you!

Kitchen spaceship room.

Name:  Kitchen-small.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  129.7 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; October 12th, 2017 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    Visual library / perspective study. No breaks, cuz that's how I roll (forgot them).

Name:  Honda-Bike.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  179.7 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; October 17th, 2017 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Head studies.

Name:  Head-Small2.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  225.1 KB

Thanks
    Just completed another gumroad 3d tutorial. This thing took hours to render after I finished the tutorial.

Name:  3d-tutorial-1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  147.7 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; October 26th, 2017 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Wow but that thing looks awesome though! Really nice studies, loving the Fung Zhu feel they have in presentation and lay out, looking forward to an update!
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dennis: Thanks a lot! I am learning a lot with these.

Finished another tutorial. I had a lot of issues with materials on this one, but learned a ton.
    Name:  truck-final.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  53.9 KB

I'm going to stop doing tutorials and studies and actually work on a concept next. Let's see if all this stuff comes in handy
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; November 1st, 2017 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Excellent work! How you liking blender so far? Are the tutorials from Vanghan easy for beginners? Would love to see knowledge in a personal piece!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    Excellent work! How you liking blender so far? Are the tutorials from Vanghan easy for beginners? Would love to see knowledge in a personal piece!
    Thanks man. I haven't used blender myself (well I did try it a while ago, but never really did anything with it, same with SketchUp). I asked you the question because I've been tempted to mess around with both Sketchup and Blender and was wondering what your experience was. I am using Modo.

Vaughan tutorials are sick. He's got a new Blender tutorial that came out on halloween.

I put together what I learned from the 3d tutorials, and made a delivery drone .
    Also, I moved away from the typical FZD layout on this one, and tried to study a layout from Alexey Pyatov and apply it to my concept (thanks crankshaft!).

Name:  Presentation-White-Final-2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  183.8 KB

Next I am going to work on the same concept but I am going to change the layout and make it more original. All this 3d stuff I'm learning is awesome, but can also become super time consuming if you start going down the rabbit hole. Also, I had to spend a lot of time figuring out how to optimize render times because it takes forever to render these shots, it's not pratical to have to wait 10 hours for each render in a real world situation.
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; November 11th, 2017 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Great work man. Some crit: Not sure if it was intentional but the piece has a very cute like feel, almost more like a toy for kids rather than a prop for a business. Try using less rounder shapes, particularly those propellers. Avoid putting too many similar shapes or proportions adjacent to each other. Also some visuals to help you out:

Name:  k8owpmmj.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  195.9 KB
    Name:  crit.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  185.6 KB

Does it really take that long to render? I'm not a 3d expert or good with computers but I did this render using my cpu (I have an AMD card which blender doesn't support) and it rendered in 15 min. The materials are not perfect (still learning the node editor) but my pc is around 4 years old. So there must be something really wrong.

Name:  jpeg bike.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  114.0 KB

Also take a look at these artists:

Chris Rosewarne: He worked on movies like James Bond
    Name:  guard-blackS.jpg
Size:  134.9 KB

Elliot Lilly: He worked on Call of duty games.

Name:  Eliott_Lilly_03a.jpg
Size:  97.7 KB

Now I'm super depressed.

Thanks
    Instead of playing with layout, I updated the drone to feel more like concept art and less like product design. Tried to add a little more backstory to the concept, the drone has been adopted by businesses and it's cheaper to buy. Now businesses are in charge of maintaining them. This one's old, it's been vandalized and poorly repaired.

Name:  Teriyaki-Drone-2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  217.7 KB

crank: Damn it I had a longer reply, but somehow I closed the window and lost everything, here's a new reply: Hey man thanks a lot for the crit and your pointers. I agree with the toy like appearance, I wanted to make it cute with the eye lights and stuff, proportions, and make it feel friendly. I over did it, it doesn't fit in a product design context. I already got started with this rendering, I might apply some of your crit to a variation. The long rendering times are because Modo is super hard to tweak, this is done on purpose for flexibility. There's no master configuration or 1 click solution that solves the problem (except leaving Modo in preview mode overnight). It's really easy to get noise or unwanted anti-aliasing artifacts. What Vaughan does in some tutorials is to leave his machine rendering overnight. I've been looking at the issue in depth. I've also been looking at other software, I understand it better now. I feel you when you say you are depressed looking at these artists' work, these people are crushingly talented! I stumbled upon some of their work in the past (I have Nuthin' but Mech 3), I am now following them on Artstation, thanks!
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:29 AM.

Thanks
    Hey man great work. Here's some stuff to make you even more depressed.

Keith Thompson. He's done work for Del Toro and Pacific Rim.His shape language and visual library is amazing.

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/ Why do I even exist?

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  133.5 KB

Thanks
    Not happy about these, going to do another iteration. They are concepts of the container where the drone drops packages and food. Not feeling the layout of this one at all either. The box design is way too generic and super boring. The UI stuff was unnecessary, the shot is way too dark. On the good side (working on being positive) I'm learning a lot, coming with concepts, and pushing through.

Name:  01 - High Rise Dropbox.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  02 - High Rise Dropbox Stage.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  03 - High Rise Drop OS.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  123.7 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Second iteration.

Name:  Presentation-Main-Dirty-2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  142.9 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    Mindless loose drunken style. Some are perspective switch exercises, some stuff from imagination.

Name:  Wiggle-Fest.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  225.3 KB
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:02 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast