Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Hosscat's Beginner Sketchbook

I started trying to teach myself to draw last spring 2015. I still have a very long way to go. But it's been a blast learning and slowly seeing some things that I create starting to turn out like I see them in my mind's eye.Hosscat's Beginner SketchbookHosscat's Beginner Sketchbook
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  soldeerjp.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  293.0 KB
    1/30/16
    Been on a tf2 kick as of late.

Thanks
    Name:  toasterdoodle.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  216.8 KB

Thanks
    Name:  best_friends_by_byrn_15-d9twvta.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  112.5 KB

Thanks
    Name:  dragonairnestj.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  314.1 KB

Thanks
    Hi Hosscat. I can see almost an immediate improvement in the Dragonair picture, but might I make a few suggestions when it comes to digital painting. First off...I would highly suggest using Ctrl+Paint to further divulge in the knowledge of Photoshop because it will help you create a nice, crisp painting that you are looking for, as well as teach you the fundamentals of drawing & digital illustration. Also, if you can, try to get the Vilppu Drawing Manual and Color Index by Jim Krause to learn more about figure drawing and how to practice with them.

Anyhow...from what I can see with your human drawings, they seem very angular and sharp to me, which is not necessarily the best approach to creating visual rhythm and a general focus within your paintings. Without a doubt you have improved from seeing the recent Dragonair painting above, but I do think that you should commit yourself at least a half hour for a few days per week to drawing wireframes of figures, making them looser and contain more flow. Also if you find yourself not using your whole arm, then definitely work on a bigger size by buying a 14 x 17 inch or 18 x 24 inch Newsprint Sketchbook. The large size of your drawings will force you to use your whole arm instead of just your wrist. http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/...ons--cms-24173 - This article will help you understand what I am referring to in terms of lines and their consistency.

What I have done to improve my figures is look at Pina Bausch and Alvin Ailey videos, but pause the various poses and give myself two minutes to draw the complete wireframe. IF you have access to drawing from real life, then definitely do so because the clarity will show in your works from sketching scenes. Also I would practice with still lives in order to start bringing your imaginations to the next level - Reason why I say that is because Still Lives do have various shapes and structures that can help you compose a beautiful background from imagination.

With all that said, keep practicing because you are improving a lot! I can see that you have a lot more detail in your Dragonair painting rather than from your first paintings, so keep it up and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future

Thanks
    Thank you! And I agree, im trying to work on getting human characters especially to look more relaxed and fluid. Im not sure what you mean ctrl+paint? I am not using photoshop but corel painter essentials 5 so perhaps that is why I am confused.

Thank you so much for your help, I will definitely do some of the wire drawings and post them!

Thanks
    Name:  floataway.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  425.4 KB
    This here was a quick doodle, I didnt stop and go slowly on the lines, instead practicing drawing quicker. Went ahead and colored (coloring is my favorite part).

Thanks
    Name:  gesture1j.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  157.3 KB
    Trying to learn gesture drawing, it felt odd doing it so quickly!

Thanks
    Name:  cerisetauriej.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  155.4 KB

Alright, this character was originally made as a silly joke. But he has grown on me, and ive worked on his backstory. I wanted a bit more peculiar splice that was open to fun while still being sort of cute XD

Thanks
    Name:  sniperdoodlej.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  217.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  officerjane.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  63.4 KB

This ones abit older, but I was kinda proud of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    This ones abit older, but I was kinda proud of it.
    Why?

Thanks
    Because before it I was pretty much doing stick figures. I was absolutely horrible when I started and this at the time was a big step for me. I know its not much now, but its still a reminder to me.

Thanks
    This is a great start! I like that you started doing some gesture drawings, those'll teach you a lot if you stick with them. You should check out this site: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ - it allows you to set up a bunch of different gesture drawing sessions (nothing beats life drawing though). I'd also recommend getting some loomis/bridgman books, essential reading basically.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast