Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks! Those words mean a lot to me.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Backgrounds... Tried different ways to create abstract painterly backgrounds, but when I was done with the purple one I was unable to paint any character on top without ruining it, which totally ruins the point of making it in the first place.

Did another experimental piece where I just went nuts with contrast. I'm having a hard time applying what I've learnt about necks to more deformed characters, especially in poses I'm not used to drawing. It's one thing to do gesture drawings or adding simple forms on top, but I find it much harder to use that when drawing simplified characters. Weird how that works. Either way this turned out looking like some instagram filter. Not very pleased. I included the version that hasn't been "blasted" by layers/curves as well. There's something very wrong about it but I can't put my finger on what. Couldn't find a good reference. My guess is that a) that pose has too much of a twist of the neck, b) if she is supporting her weight with her arms the shoulders wont look like that (they'd be coming down and forward more). Maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    My cat just had kittens so had to celebrate it somehow. I like this one quite a bit

Thanks
    Today's painting.

Thanks
    Got a commissions so had to slow down for a few days while finishing it up. Not used to having to come up with elaborate designs like that yet (I do like the leg cannon prostethic as an idea though, hah).

Thanks
    Random sketches trying to add flow to poses done without reference. I still spend so much time every painting chiseling out the proportions and forms, so this week is about learning as much as possible about 6 head tall characters of the specific body type I want to use. So basic forms, perspective and lineart again. Ugh. Felt like a zombie after the commission (overcompensated and slept 11 hours) so just did some random simple stuff today ("simple" being a very relative term).

Thanks
    Sketches sketches sketches.

Thanks
    Today's batch. Still trying to digest what I'm reading. I have nothing but the utmost respect towards animators and the way they manage to conserve forms. It's almost uncanny.

Thanks
    More sketches. I've been trying to do a painting focusing on the back this week, but have been unable to so I've spent the morning trying to figure it out. Not going that well at all, but it's too be expected. I have a habbit of getting way way way ahead of myself. It's hard to keep myself in check after watching some of the Chinese masters though!

Something I've been thinking deeply about is how ineffective it is to sketch something and then spend an enormous amount of time liquifying/transforming/erasing parts to make it work. The problem I see with this approach is that since it's generally small changes at the time it becomes really difficult to notice "patterns" i.e. what parts tend to be wrong, and why. It's probably more effective (as training) to sketch something, keep that first sketch, and then look and see what's wrong, and do another sketch from scratch, and repeat until it looks right. I've been hammering in a "think first, paint later" approach but I find myself slipping at times -- painting as I go without any real thought to it.

Thanks
    Your story is very intesting! It's so cool to hear how other artists got started and stuff! I think the decision to not have copied any work may have hindered your time learning as most artists including myself have learned by copying the greats I have to ask, what are you up to now? Still honing your skills or working professionally? Good stuff btw, keep it up!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SHIELD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A "proper" painting trying to use what I've learnt this week. Next one will be from behind...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIELD View Post
    Your story is very intesting! It's so cool to hear how other artists got started and stuff! I think the decision to not have copied any work may have hindered your time learning as most artists including myself have learned by copying the greats I have to ask, what are you up to now? Still honing your skills or working professionally? Good stuff btw, keep it up!

Thank you!
    I agree with you wholehandely - I really should have copied much more. Copying (or "stealing") fits very well with the ideas of social constructivism (Piaget; Vygotskij's Zone of Proximal Development) which is a big part of didactic studies.

I'm a full time student, but my main focus lately has been on art. I get the odd commission to bring in some extra cash, but generally I'm just practicing as much as I can. Come back in a year and I'll (hopefully) have become decent enough to land a job .

Thanks
    Didn't expect to see any anime on this forum. Nice work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MoeY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Today I still couldn't paint backs, and it had became glaringly obvious that the base of the problem didn't have to do with being "unable to paint backs" but rather a lack of deeper understanding of the underlying structure and how the pelvis and torso connect with the spine. So I focused on that instead. I mean I can always "brute force it" and just hammer the form until it looks correct, but it's such a waste of time. How am I supposed to express these forms in space when I'm not even sure how I want to simplify them nor what I'm basing my understanding on? So lets do this as through as possible... I've obviously done a bunch of these exercises before, but the last six months I've been overloading my brain with information and clearly needed a refresh.

So, following up on what I said earlier, I did a couple of quick sketches from the side, first fresh without any reference but just drawing it as I probably would if it was my first sketch. Then I tried improving on it with n. 2 and 3. After that I looked up a reference picture of a bodytype that I wanted to use, and drew n4 after having analyzed it. The leg placement looked really off though. Then I took to reading through my old books and did n5 and 6 without reference. Then I took yet another break, and tried to use everything I had learned today to draw a last one. All these are done as separate files without looking at the other ones before, just to clarify (otherwise there would be no point...)

Not much to look at at the moment. Leg gesture and balance are two other things I really need to look at.

Thanks
    You're doing really good! I'm pretty much in the same boat so there's little I can offer in terms of help but I do think copying others work can be very helpful for the purpose of learning. For instance people will study from George Bridgman's drawings and copy them out to try and better understand the human body in a structural sense, the knowledge gained can later come in aid when drawing the figure from life. I've recently been copying from Glenn Vilppu in order to improve my gesture drawings.

Keep up the good work.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast