Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    A couple more 30 second gesture drawings I did this morning. Tried the scribble method for one A4.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Used basically only basic brushes for this one until the very end. Wanted a super crisp contrast (hence the use of pure black on some spots) to help with the focus (which is one of the problems the last piece had in my opinion). I think I exaggerated the gesture too much, but I think it has some redeeming qualities. Had a clear idea in my mind what I wanted to do and convey (which is highly unusual), which helped focus the effort.

Thanks
    This day has been terrible. Woke up after a bad days sleep and felt really restless, in both senses of the word. Started working on a piece but hurried through the important preliminary stages way too quickly and spent a lot of time trying to (and ultimately failing) at saving it. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about painting the character to begin with, and got 45 minutes or so into two different poses before I just tossed it out of the window. The expression was bad, the shading was all over the place and it was just terribly rushed.

Did I learn from that? Nope. Just felt more pressured and could feel the day ending, so I went for another character and another scene but (again) I hurried through the drawing stage and the perspective was all skewed. I went over with a lineart layer on top with the basic shapes to try and figure out what had went wrong, but the entire chest/hip area was such a clusterf that I just tossed it in the bin. That's the image I've attached. I can point out other things that are bad (general composition, shading outside of her head area) and the list goes on. Sigh. I didn't really care about the character nor the scene to begin with anyway.

Ended up painting some reference-less landscape painting study instead, trying to see if I could make something without staring myself blind at real pictures. It came out better than the other things I've done today but not great. Today's not over, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of time in front of the tablet as it is (12+ hours).

Enough with the negativity!

I want to improve and produce as much as possible, but I'm also growing scared of making mistakes again. The last few weeks I've signed up to a ton of social media sites trying to spread my work, but this also means that every time I paint something it's going up on five different sites, and being compared to the last thing I did. I'm probably thinking a lot more about it than the people watching but it's adding up some pressure. I think acknowledging this is the first step, but I'll have to figure out a plan.

Either way rushing won't help me become better, it won't let me produce and post more but is purely wasting my time. I'll try and cool down tomorrow and ignore the ticking clock.

Thanks
    So after I wrote that post I decided that ok, if I can't draw anything cute today, then lets do something that mimics my mood instead. And thus today ends on a positive note, having released all that anger and frustration.

Thanks
    This one didn't turn out that well. Something (eye placement, I think...) has been wrong the entire time but I've spent way more time trying to fix it than I should have. This one was mostly me trying to get the forms right in a type of pose I struggle a lot with (slightly leaning forward). Tried to keep my lights and shadows separate, and shadows basically flat, using slight changes in value to indicate forms in the light/shadow. Somewhere in the middle I got caught up in trying to make the overall image look good instead however and that sort of fell off. 5h spent on it, with basically 2h being me just trying to figure out why it looks so off. And yeah I know the light from the gloria would illuminate her hair, but it just made the composition really confusing so I decided to skip on it.

Thanks
    So I got a request yesterday ("paint fuuko with her starfish"), watched a lengthy dvd on composition and tried to incorporate some of the stuff. Also everything but the last "cleanup time" zoomed out again this time, but started in monochrome and sort of liked the result so skipped to a very low key scheme.

I finished it this morning but it looked... horrendous. I didn't even realize how wrong it was before I sat down before this post and started fixing stuff. It's amazing how the brain can anchor itself to something and not realize it until you get a fresh look. I tend to switch the painting around 180' a lot and zoom out a bunch, but even then it escapes me...
    Last edited by ili104; March 28th, 2016 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Another painting started and finished today

Thanks
    Been doing other things so only posting a quick sketch today. (actually the first thing in a while I've done that actually fits under the "sketchbook" moniker). Took 30-45 minutes to do with no pre planning. I really like these brushes (and the loose style) so I'll try and make something proper with this idea as a base. I have this terrible habbit of overworking areas which makes them all muddy, I want to keep the brushstrokes alive but in order to do that I also have to get them right the first time. It's funny how many people think that the sketchier styles are easier to get right, when you realize just how much thought has to go into every move you make.

Thanks
    Today's painting (seem to be up to about 5 per week lately). The anatomy is a bit off (shoulder area, one of the arms) but I really enjoy how some parts of it turned out. I still think this is a bit too overmodelled for my taste, but I had to correct some major parts of the drawing so I lost some of the brushstrokes there. I do think it looks really tasteful, as in "yummy" and considering how many different colours that are present I think it sort of comes together.

The drawing itself is quity shaky though, as always. Even though my goal is to loosen up as much as possible I really can't help but agree with what Richard Schmid writes about "rough styles", how it's a "finish", not a "process". Guess I'll spend tomorrow drawing necks and shoulders.

Thanks
    Oh boy. I've been going through the paintings I did in March and "correcting" their necks (after refreshing my knowledge from some books), and I found a lot of paintings that had clear problems in this area. This is great news, because now I have something very concrete to work towards. The less great news is that even though I can see that they are off, I can't make improvements on all of them. I think this is based on two things: lack of structural knowledge and other things being wrong as well (based on the neck being as it is). Anyway, I did a couple of studies as well as this speed painting (~80 minutes) I attached (where I tried to focus on the neck area). I'll focus on portraits this week and the neck/shoulder area specifically.

Thanks
    Ok, so the last one was quite extreme (and the two side muscles don't show up equally when the head is tilted like that) so I tried tweaking it, with two different versions. The hard part isn't even the anatomy itself, it's how to pick what to convey. Bah.

Spent around 3 hours more doing neck studies from reference as well, and that's what I will return to...

Thanks
    Update day 2: after a couple of hours of just trying to analyze necks (while sitting in front of a mirror) I ended up painting another piece (attached below). This one was done without reference and I think it has some problems in the neck area still, but I feel like I'm making some progress.

Thanks
    Just a quick doodle (~30 mins with no plan). Tried to push contrasts (round or sharp, gradient or abrupt, light or dark).

Thanks
    Note to self: If the original sketch looks like absolute garbage then instead of trying to tweak it, just scrap it and start anew. Or you end up doing what I just did, which is paint something and then spend 4 hours trying to make it work. Also if you are going to study how neck works then dont spend 10 minutes on getting that part right and then 5 hours on the face/hair.

Going to scale back on the realism again, but it's hard for me to keep it simplistic when doing portraits like that.

The base: http://i.imgur.com/UK0ueN9.png
    Trying to fix it...: http://i.imgur.com/SMNEFuH.png

Thanks
    I like your painting style quit a bit on this one!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shuhari For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast