Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    These two (I think) are a step in the right direction. Done in two layers (background + character) using 99% basic brushes (started to rely on the textures too much I think...) about 3h each. Pushing the lightning, forms and silhouettes as much as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    New 90min painting. Got a comment from a friend saying that he thinks I've been neglecting the expressions as of late (due to focusing too much on the technical side) so tried for a more vibrant style this time around.

Thanks
    Another dump of paintings I've done. Trying new approaches/styles and working on my painting process.

Thanks
    Sometimes the neck looks really long. I think it's partly your style but also sometimes it looks a bit too long!

I really like your colours, looks very lively.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks! The necks have been a constant problem for me. I tend to "forget" them when blocking in, and then over-compensate when fixing. Been reading up a bit on lightning and composition, but the more I focus on it the more the anatomy suffers. Trying to cram in too much knowledge at the same time so hope that just keep on painting while trying to incorporate these things will make things settle in my head.

For this one I was focusing on interesting shapes and contrasts, trying to make it pop.

I feel super cheap hiding behind extremely dark shadows though, and will try to make the values cleaner in the next one I do.

Thanks
    This week is the week of hands. I've been dodging the topic for a long time but it's painfully obvious that the way I draw hands is hurting the paintings I do.

The ones one the right are done with reference, the ones on the left are done without.

5-30min spent per hand.

This clearly shows how much I need to work on the subject...

Thanks
    Very nice work ili! Technically there's room for improvement of course, but your characters all have life and personality. This makes them interesting to look at. I can see that you have a lot passion for what you do. Just keep expanding your knowledge of the fundamentals like you're currently doing. It is best to pick one to focus on for maybe a month or two and then move on to the next topic. Think long term: in what areas would like to have improved at the end of this year? Plan accordingly. Otherwise it can become overwhelming. Keep up the nice work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The part about it being "overwhelming" strikes very true to me. There are so many areas I want to improve upon. I want my values to be less muddy, forms more easily readable, the lightning and composition to be better, the poses to have better rhythm and the stories they tell to have a sharper focus.

Right now I'm focusing on three areas: better drawn hands to focus the expression, more lightning-consistent value changes, how to paint skin and foreshortening.

I tried something new and did a 30min painting using a reference photo (female hand), then tried replicating the pose about 4 hours later, without looking at any reference (except glancing at my own hand sometimes). The colour choices are me just picking from a colour wheel, I didn't try to use the exact same scheme for the second one but went with a darker, harder look.

The second one has one of the fingers pointing in the wrong direction (just noticed...) which is a bit embarrassing but eh.

Thanks
    Tried for some weird skin colour on one of these, but on the second I tried to be as realistic as I could colour-wise. Using only basic brushes for these. Need to push the highlights more and make the fingertips more... radiant?

Found a nice set of reference hands so set it to display a random picture with a 30 second interval and covered a grid with quick sketches.
    Last edited by ili104; February 16th, 2016 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    I've caught a nasty cold of the kind that makes it hard to concentrate on tasks, and especially things that requires as much mental energy as painting something does. Trucking on though!

Keep on trying new ways to shade. I'm having a really hard time getting the redness of the finger-tips to show up right. End up adding overlay layers and whatnot to compensate.

Shifting between using mainly soft brushes and only hard brushes, having multiple light sources and colours added to the shadows or just plain.

Tomorrow I'll break down the hand into basic forms and draw a million of them in lineart.

Thanks
    Today's batch.

I realized why I had kept hands off the table for so long (pun not intended). Painting hands really shows off my weak grasp of form, value and perspective. "Lets draw the hand as a series of boxes to simplify the form". Couldn't draw it as boxes so had to practice that first.

These are done without any proper reference to look at, trying to incorporate what I've learned this week. Got two more days of "hand week" left but might extend it.
    Last edited by ili104; February 20th, 2016 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    Hey ili, just wanted to drop a quick welcome to CA, sorry you never posted it the first time round and that I hope you enjoy your stay and that you make the improvements you are looking for in this journey. It's definitely scary coming back to art with the goal being to seriously improve, currently doing that myself, so all the luck in the world!

You're off to a good start and the only way is up, keep at it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Krane - best of luck to you too!

Theses hands didn't turn out that well, they all look kinda of weird. Aw well -- I'll continue tommorrow!

Thanks
    Hands are really difficult, but I think you've been doing a pretty good job with your studies. Keep it up

Thanks
    I got a sudden commission ($$$) so ended up painting something that was incredibly challenging (for me) but a good learning experience. Went for a much more stylized approach at first but sadly couldn't get it to work since the second character in the painting had to keep a likeness to the real person. As a result I had to go for a more realistic touch (well... semi-realistic).

The character design on the female is horrible to begin with, with stark green and yellow colours. That along with the fact that he wanted a highly saturated blue and yellow (with red) background gave me a real headache trying to figure out what colours to use.

Too much stuff that had to be done at once, with a strict schedule (took around 8 hours from start to finish) so ironically I couldn't spend as much time on the hands as I wanted to.

Back to 60min studies for a bit!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast