Thanks

wtf..funny world

i was working on my art history for college and stumbled upon this funny culture. i couldnt stop laughing the more i read. maybe im just immature. well judge for yourself. oh and if you know of any other funny stuff like that please post! btw this is just and excerpt from my answer not the whole thing.
    Chapter 24
    question: “Talk about the art of melanesia. break down the islands, explain the styles and their main purpose.”

answer: Melanesia consisted of several islands, each unique and each with its own styles and beliefs. Papua New guinea is the largest island that is part of melanesia. The island is 1500 miles long and 1000 miles wide, making it not only the biggest melanesia island, but also the second largest island in the world. This large island is split into two country’s and is home to everything from grasslands to tropical rain forest. "FUNYY PART START Yams. yes yams are a probaly the most single important item not only in there diets but also there rituals and art.Its very important for men to be active in there villages yam cults, to gain status in the community. People of this island hold yam festivals to renew their relationship with the forces nature that are important to yam harvesting during the long yam festival. One of the most important peices of architecture in this society would be the tamberans, which holds objects that are important to the yam cult and its clan identity. A villages prestige comes from the quality of its tamberon house and the size of its yams. FUNNY PART ENDS" These tamberons have very intricate carvings and paintings on their entrances. in this culture paint is believed to have magical properties. They also believe that a succesful depends greatly on the reproduction skills of a master painter and there ability to trian younger initiates. through ritual repainting of their images they are ensured to keep their potency.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    as your attorney i advise you to read
    "things fall apart" by chinua achebe..

Thanks
    Sorry dude but I don't find this funny. I'd say that's becuase Papua New Guinea is a northern neighbour to my country so I've know about their culture for a while, something like this doesn't surprise me .

Thanks
    sorry to here that.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    You know what's really funny? That this is a paper for a college art history class and it's loaded with grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. I hope your teacher fails your ass.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    You know what's really funny? That this is a paper for a college art history class and it's loaded with grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. I hope your teacher fails your ass.

hahaha, now THAT made me laugh
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    sorry to tell you this, but i'm easily amused by such things. i know...i know, it may be weird to you. but this culture to find that yams are like "important" to them and part of "society". i find this funny.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    elwell-got some pent up anger there huh. im sorry we all cant be as smart as you. for one i this isnt the finished copy. second, well there is no second thats it. if you just want to talk shit dont even post. did i put in my message"idiots who want to talk shit please post". no i didnt. when you personally attack others, one its not funny, 2 your not cool, 3 your not tough yeah its funny to talk shit on forums,hahaha, well if you want to say it to my face i will pm you my address. ps and i yes there is probaly typos in this message. btw, why does it say professional under your name, because you obvously dont act like one

Thanks
    As far as funny cultures go, try the Countryfolk in Britain. Theres a town (somewhere, cant remember) that have a yearly Cheese Catching thing. What they do, is get the Men folk of the Village, (or anyone willing to take part) and from the top of a very large, steep hill, chuck a big ass roll of Cheese down it, and the folks chase after it. The people usually end up tumbling, uncontrollably, down the hill, breaking their arms and legs and wot not, chasing after a roll of cheese....Now that is funny....

Mollyx

Thanks
    As you search out and maybe even partake in these different rituals of various cultures from around the world, keep in mind that 99 percent of them are most likely the generational offspring of a coupling between boredom and copious amounts of alcohol.
    These grapes taste like Fresno! -- Steinbeck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    elwell-got some pent up anger there huh. im sorry we all cant be as smart as you. for one i this isnt the finished copy. second, well there is no second thats it. if you just want to talk shit dont even post. did i put in my message"idiots who want to talk shit please post". no i didnt. when you personally attack others, one its not funny, 2 your not cool, 3 your not tough yeah its funny to talk shit on forums,hahaha, well if you want to say it to my face i will pm you my address. ps and i yes there is probaly typos in this message. btw, why does it say professional under your name, because you obvously dont act like one
    Talking shit back to people on forums is real cool too.
    Perhaps his remark was a bit too harsh, but I found it funny. You responded the way you did because his remark was aimed at you. When these things happen, take a step back, think about it as if it was not aimed at you, then take a walk, come back and decide wether you should actually respond to it.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    i cant remember what asain culture does this so bare with me. But in one particular culture, they chop down a large tree, id say about 10-15 feet in diameter. then hundreds of people jump on top of it, and try and ride it down the hill. They do this for respect, and honor. and is quite dangerous. Last time i checked a log goin down a hill aint gonna pick up its branches to prevent crushing someone underneath.....THAT my friends, is a little whacko. cheese i could handle. big 'ol trees?? thats another thing.

Thanks
    What's interesting about the yam culture is that it is a matriarchal culture. Why? Yams are high in estrogen, thus making the females more apt to dominate. I believe it is the only matriarchal culture, but I'm not positive. Anywho, useless fact there ;p

-Daniel
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    sorry to tell you this, but i'm easily amused by such things. i know...i know, it may be weird to you. but this culture to find that yams are like "important" to them and part of "society". i find this funny.
    America is a 'Big penis' culture.

respecting yams is probably quite a few steps up from what we have.

Thanks
    Damn Andy, beat me to the punch.

I was going to say America was based more upon the breasts. I guess it is just genitalia in general, though

Yay for America!!

Thanks
    1. in africa soemwhere the natives would pile cockroaches up real high like 4 feet. then they would send the children to eat them. the kids loved it.(or at least that is what i was told) btw, this country is based more around breasts then anything else. in america there is a chain of importance, stuff that matters most.
    breasts, breasts, beer, food, president. and im proud!!!

Thanks
    There's this one culture I heard about where I think 20-something kids pay bums to fight each other in exchange for money and then video tape it, and then sell the dvd. I believe this culture also has something called backyard wrestling where mentally challenged kids try to imitate professional wrestling. I forget where it is though...

Thanks
    you ever stop to think that we use paper, and nothing of any real value to represent our currency? how weird is that to them? we (USA) are a nation of people living on credit. Yams are physically worth more than whatever you have in your wallet, at least to them. I bet they think it's funny as shit as we sit as slaves to a box that's plugged into the wall, getting all huffy and clacking away on a plastic keyboard. Just think about how retarded and backwards we look compared to other cultures... and I bet this, there's probably many more happy people in the "less sophisticated" cultures...

Thanks
    thebluepuppy : Most cultures have worshipped this way,what you eat keeps you alive,so it's important and becomes religious.In civilised cultures we don't make a religion about restaurants and such,we have another relationship to food,maybe because of our science a single person can produce much food,this also leads to spreading toxine on the fields,genfood,pollution.So it has good and bad sides.
    Whats really funny is people eating insekts.They are rich of protein,but...they are insekt.I wouldn't eat this,i'm a western civilised person,i would eat shrimps,they are somewhat like insekts,but they live in the water,so they are not dirty.

Phuzion : A lot of cultures are known to drink the juice of cattle-boops since ancient times,without becoming matriachatric.So i don't know,if there are other reasons than "you are what you eat."